New App, Cloud Control setting gone?

So, I used to keep the cloud control setting off in the new app as it made my Smartthings Panel on my Galaxy Phone unusable. (Showed a ridiculous amount of devices and refused to keep the settings for individual items that I toggled on or off)

I figured out that turning off cloud control allowed me to still see my bluetooth devices and kept the classic app and new app from fighting each other. Used the diretions in this link: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/cloud-control-smartthings/ to turn that off.

In the latest version of the app, that setting seems to be gone. Anyone have an idea how to turn this off in the new app now?

PS: I’m in US, not AU despite the AU location in the link. However, the directions were the same in the US when the new app first rolled out.

So, I e-mailed support. They are REALLY going downhill.

Original Email to support
Apr 17, 4:36 AM MST

So, I used to keep the cloud control setting off in the new app as it made my Smartthings Panel on my Galaxy Phone unusable. (Showed a ridiculous amount of devices and refused to keep the settings for individual items that I toggled on or off)

Since I have not been told to switch to the “new app”, I was not using the new app for controlling anything other than the bluetooth devices connected to my phone.

I figured out that turning off cloud control allowed me to still see my bluetooth devices and kept the classic app and new app from fighting each other. Used the diretions in this link: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/cloud-control-smartthings/ 7 to turn that off.

In the latest version of the app, that setting seems to be gone. Additionally, I am now having issues where I have to reset Z wave devices as there seems to be some conflict between the old and new apps and the device handlers I have.

I would like to know how to turn cloud control off in the new app again. I am not planning on using the new app until you guys have it ready for roll out and I can actually import all my custom apps and drivers over to the new app.

PS: I’m in US, not AU despite the AU location in the link. However, the directions were the same in the US when the new app first rolled out.

Their response to me

Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:25 PM
To:
Subject: [SmartThings] Re: New App - Cloud control setting gone?

Apr 24, 12:25 PM MST

Hello,

Thank you for contacting SmartThings Support.

Accept my sincere apologies for late response.

I’m sorry you’re running into this issue in your SmartThings App, but I’ll be happy to look into this.

If you are running into this issue in your SmartThings App, I recommend uninstalling your SmartThings app and re-installing it to make sure you are on the most recent firmware version for the app. Once this has been done, try adjusting the Cloud Control option once more. If the issue persists, you will want to report the problem in-app so the issue is brought straight to the developers. To do this, tap the menu (3 dots) icon from the Dashboard page and select the Help option. From the Help menu, select Report a problem and enter in the issue you are experiencing. This will ensure the issue is brought directly to the attention of the developers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns and I’ll be happy to help. Thank you!

Best regards,

SmartThings Support
www.smartThings.com

My Response

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:53 AM
To: SmartThings Support support@smartthings.com
Subject: RE: [SmartThings] Re: New App - Cloud control setting gone?

So, this is an issue with a feature you have removed from the app. I have verified that I am on the latest version of the (new) smartthings app (currently, version 1.7.29-66) and verified that the feature is missing on both mine and my wife’s phones that have the app as well as our other two backup phones.

I am just asking if there is a way to access this feature otherwise. I am pretty sure I was clear about what the issue is when I wrote the initial e-mail. There used to be an option to turn off cloud control in the “smartthings” app (Not talking about the classic app). Now, it is no longer there. Are you stating that the feature is in the latest version of the app (indicating it was there before, was removed, and then was put back)?

I am a bit disappointed that support is recommending a nuclear option of removing and reinstalling an app without first asking to verify what version I had. I will add that I have already force closed, and reset the app to original by clearing cache, and then clearing data, then clearing the phones app cache, and then performed the painstaking process of setting up all the settings I originally had. I am not willing to go through all of that again until such time as I am told that it is confirmed that the menu settings I mentioned originally have been verified to be in the new app currently. I cannot see how 4 phones would all have the same unique problem. This indicates to me that this is a feature that you guys removed.

So, please verify for me that the instructions referenced in my original mail are available to US members before I uninstall or do anything else with my app.

For reference, those directions are:

Open the SmartThings app and select the 3 dot menu button in the top right of the screen

2 Select the Settings option

3 Toggle the Cloud Control option on or off

Hey, not sure if you’ve figured it out but it appears in the new app it’s listed under something else…

Open up app, click on the 3 lines to the left, click on the “settings” wheel at the top right

then under Auto update devices and services — it defaults as wifi only, change this to whenever available and you should be able to control remotely.

Hope this helps

Not quite what I was trying to do.

I am looking to turn off all connections to my ST hub through the new app. I have multiple custom device handlers, and find the inclusion of the >100 items I have to be too cluttered. I only want to use it for the Bluetooth controls to my cars and watch.

Many of my devices do not work in the new app without me re-writing the handlers. Which, if I am going to go through the trouble of doing all of that, I will likely change to a competitors platform that is at least all local control.

ST Support finally got back to me and told me that was not possible anymore. They did at least fix it so that I could turn them all off individually and it finally remembers the settings.

The setting you are talking about is for updating devices and services. Not for turning on and off cloud control of the hub.

Hey,

This might be due to the older app version that you`re using. Try updating your app to the latest version. Smartthings have bought a lot of fixes and performance boosting features in their latest update.

Regards,
Adrian

Please see what I stated about the response from ST support.

Not sure where you got that I was using an outdated version of Smartthings app (New or Classic). But they told me they specifically got rid of that option. So, the actual opposite would have been true. If I had not updated, I would still have the ability to cut off cloud control.

I find it absolutely ludicrous that one has to go through each individual item and turn off control one by one. There should be an option to select all, or turn off cloud control altogether. Or, better yet, like the google interface they have, maybe they should offer the ability to selectively INCLUDE instead of EXCLUDE individual items.

Not using the new app until they send out the notification that they stated was coming over a year ago saying that it was ready for production. Also, not using it even then unless it is backwards compatible and I do not have to re-write all my apps that I have written and custom device handlers. As stated before, if I have to re-write everything from scratch, it will be time to move to a new platform.

Bump. Anyone know how to allow cloud control now? thanks

From the last I heard from support, there is no way to turn it off. It is on by default once you log in to the new app.

Almost the opposite for me – I cannot connect to any of my devices remotely using the latest application and version, and device firmware etc. The responses from support are both infuriating and embarrassing: I was told that since I could connect from within my home wifi network that this “must” be a problem with my carrier’s 3G/LTE connectivity. Obviously that’s not the issue, considering they never bothered to ask if I’ve tried to connect from other wifi networks with good signal/connection as well. Anyone know of a way to “enable” remote access to devices? This all works fine out of the box from the classic app

iOS or Android?

Android 10 – Though, I think I just may have figured out what might be contributing to this issue for me. When I’ve got “private dns” mode enabled on my phone, and I’m remote I can’t do anything within the app, however, turning this off seems to have resolved the remote connectivity issue for me.

Still seems to be an issue which Samsung needs to address as this isn’t an issue for the legacy app, and there shouldn’t be any reason why the service should be dropping requests coming in over secure DNS providers like google/cloudflare, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! That would’ve taken me a while to figure out. This needs to be addressed by Samsung indeed!
Just FYI, I was able to make it work on mine by switching from a specific private DNS to automatic – but I’m not sure if my pixel will enable this feature though.

1 Like

Just bumped into your post. I can confirm switching to automatic will allow the app to connect again.
That is just bizarre.