For a while I used just the Quantum router. It was ok. However, it couldn’t handle all of my devices. I’m not sure what exactly I had back then, but now I have ~60 wired devices and 95 (exact) wireless devices.
I turned the wifi on the router off and upgraded to 2x Unifi UAP-AC-Pro devices along with a Unifi Cloud Key.
That worked well for a while, but as I added more devices I found that I needed more APs to make my environment more stable. I’m sure these APs can handle more than 35 devices each. However, at the time, I was having a lot of issues with my 40+ LIFX bulbs (all wifi). So I added more APs. As I would add more APs I would have to lower the power settings of each AP increasing the need for more APs. Inside my house, I now have 5. The 3 new ones in my house are the Unifi UAP-AC-Lite versions which are not as fast/powerful. I live on almost 3 acres and my house is aluminum siding. The siding doesn’t allow much of my internal wifi to get outside. I’ve also installed 2 APs outside so I can get good coverage in the back and front of my house.
You can use FIOS TV and internet without the FIOS router. I’ve done it and one of my friends is currently doing it. If you google it, the internet seems to think it is impossible. However, it is very simple.
- Login to your FiOS router, release the IP address provided by verizon. <-- Most important part.
- Turn off the FiOS router, turn off your regular router.
- Unplug ethernet from fios wan and plug into your router wan port.
- Turn on your regular router, let it get an IP address from Verizon.
- Connect the fios wan port to your routers WAN port.
- turn on the FiOS router, wait for it to get an internet connection.
- See if your guide, vod works, it should.
I have since moved to an EdgeRouter Lite which seems to be able to easily handle all of my devices.
I’ve also recently gone a bit crazy and I am upgrading to…
1 x Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-48-750W 48-Ports L3 Managed
2 x Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-24-250W 24-Ports L3 Managed
The reason for so many switches is…
1 - I have 60ish wired devices.
2 - I want to segregate my APs and Cameras on to their own switches for power management/battery backup.