Need to Factory Reset GE 12722

I have two GE12722 paddle switches. I recently had to reset my hub and now the two switches will no longer communicate or allow me to reconnect them to my hub. I have successfully performed a factory reset on my other components, but have yet to determine how to do a factory reset on these. Does anyone have any ideas that could help.

Thanks,

Eric

1 Like

Apparently not all Z-Wave devices have a way to do a factory reset; some do but others rely on a controller or portable device like an Aeon minimote to do a general exclusion. This works even if the controller was never previously paired to it.

For the GE/Jasco 12722, the enclosed instructions just refer you to the controller for exclusion. What worked for me was having the thing in radio range of the hub, putting the hub in exclude mode, and doing a single tap (bottom or top of the paddle). Yet I have also read of various factory reset methods for this switch, one describing 10 paddle press sequences, another recommended an air gap pull followed by 4 button presses; these methods are described (and debunked) in this thread: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=52743.0 To save you the bother of reading it, none of them worked; a forum poster ultimately made a support call to Jasco which confirmed that there is no factory reset for the 12722; general exclusion is the only method of resetting it.

A while after I read that, I came across a Youtube video someone made who demonstrated the 10 paddle press method for resetting it. Several comments claimed they tried it without success. It makes me wonder if there is more than one firmware version of this device in circulation.

According to DrZWave’s blog, Z-Wave Plus devices all have the ability to do factory resets on the device. I noticed that my new GE 14291 Z-Wave Plus switch does have a factory reset paddle press sequence described in the instruction sheet.

2 Likes

Tony, thanks for the reply. In all my internet searching I had seen those methods as well (click the on button ten times and such) I will try to exclude it and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Eric

Tony, Thanks for the help. I did what you suggested and excluded each switch. Found out that I had to do one at a time, I originally tried excluding all of them at one time, but that didn’t work. Once each switch was excluded, I was able to search for them and add them to my hub. Now all is well. Thanks again for the help.

Eric

2 Likes

I have the same switch. What if I don’t have the original hub any longer (Smartthings v2). I now have the Wi-fi Mesh system. My devices migrated over to the new app, but some of them no longer worked. I need a way to reset the switch to factory default. I attempted to delete the device and force an exclusion, but the device keeps showing up.

1 Like

Not sure if this applies to all GE smart controllers (switch, dimmer, etc), but the 14299 ZW3006 can be reset with rapid clicks to top 3x and bottom 3x (I used one finger top / one bottom and went as fast as possible) to get it to blink rapidly 5 times.

1 Like

Thank you! This worked perfectly for me as well. Putting the hub in exclusion mode and then pressing the on / off switch actually detected the device and deleted it for me. I was able to follow normal processes to add the Z-Wave GE Switch.

1 Like

After an exhaustive Google search and doing EVERYTHING in the world to reset my GE ZW4005 Paddle Switch in my Garage (moving from Iris Control to Hubitat Control… and nothing worked… I simply disconnected my light switch and attached an extension cord to it… brought it into my Study where my Hubitat Controller is located (even though it is 25’ from the garage my home is made out of CMU Walls)… and in about 5 seconds I was able to perform the Z Wave exclusion (to make it forget it was an Iris controlled device) and then sync to Hubitat. I then put it back in my garage and bingo the Hubitat Controller immediately recognized it!! So until you try this… do NOT throw it away!!!

Buy an " Aeotec USB Z-Stick". Hold it very close to the device and hold the button for two seconds; the LED will flash ORANGE.
Just turn the light switch on or off ( it doesn’t matter ). If the orange light pauses for a moment and turns to blue back to orange the device is reset. The USB stick reset works for any Z-wave device.
Press the button when you are finished excluding devices and it will flash blue and then turn off.
You can reset devices until the stick times out :slight_smile:

1 Like

This worked for me. It was perfect because I was actually looking for a way to move the last 2 z-wave devices in my smart home off of the Wink hub that I’d like to put where it belongs – in the trash.

Just wanted to add on to this in case it helps someone losing their mind like me. I had the Smartthings hub on a window ledge about 1.5 feet from the GE switch (1st gen zwave jasco/GE dimmer with airgap). No matter WHAT I did, I could not exclude.

BUT holding the hub RIGHT on top of the switch, I was able to exclude the switch. Joyous day!!!

Not sure why the exclusion range is SO poor on these (new construction, plastic wall box/sheetrock).

What a PITA!!!