Native (Smoke Sensor) Siren Zigbee DTH, local?! SmartThings forgot this one?

Heya All,

If somebody from SmartThings reads this, did you teams missed the (Smoke Sensor) Zigbee Siren to be run as a local DTH?? Its running on cloud! (Edit: yes its there in the github public repo, but no local exec).

This means for example if STHM (which I understand is local, might be wrong) triggers because of a break-in, but they cut the fiber optic/coaxial/phone cable for the internet, the alarms/sirens will not sound??

Can you please put the Native Zigbee siren DTH into the local execution?

Thanks!

STHM is cloud based, not local

4 Likes

Well, that ticks another box of ā€˜nopeā€™, and thankfully the 4G backup is there.

Some of the security features in the classic app, ā€œsmart home monitor,ā€œ (SHM) do run local. But all of the security features for the new V3 app, ā€œ Smartthings home monitorā€ (STHM), are cloud-based. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Thanks for finally answering me that question @troy_owens & @JDRoberts ! :smiley:

I was going crazy trying to guess by unplugging the ethernet to see if it worked or not.

Guess Iā€™ll have to wait for local automations to do it myself then, and see who/what they answer about the zigbee siren DTH running on cloud (which makes no sense to me). :frowning:

1 Like

SmartLighting is eligible to run locally for some Automations, although not all. But each device in that automation also has to run locally.

So if you find a zwave siren that runs locally, you might be able to do something with that.

Alternatively, find a siren that will sound when power is restored to it and plug it into a locally operating smart plug. If you donā€™t need a battery operated one.

One more optionā€¦ Some sirens will work with a generic switch DTH. If you found one of those that ran locally, then you could use that with smartlighting.

I know none of that is ideal, itā€™s just some options.

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts :slight_smile:, yes I contemplated all those options (I might try the on/off trick), thatā€™s why Iā€™m eager for the 0.35.x firmware to release (local automations code feature flag).

The problems I have/had are that:

• SmartLighting doesnā€™t exist here (NZ) :frowning:
  • zigbee outlets natively supported are nowhere to be found (SmartThings outlets one are due on march in AUS (FINALLY after YEARS), to ship to NZ from AUS),
  • Outdoor alarms are practically non-existent for Zigbee (a few models here and there, but REALLY hard to get them),
  • Thereā€™s only 1 model Z-Wave outdoor siren in AUS for the AUS/NZ/Brazil z-wave spectrum (which Iā€™m not sure itā€™ll even work local, and its freaking EXPENSIVE+shipping)
  • Aeotec is CRAZILY expensive here (chinese plug xiaomi outlet: 15/20 nzd, smartthings outlet 45+ship, aeotec 105)

And the only reason Iā€™m still sticking with ST and not go the hubitat way (yeah yeah I know), its because Iā€™m heavily invested in Samsung and have the damned Arlo cameras. (and got other reasons why I would like to shift thatā€™ll be happy to share privately), but for now Iā€™m stuck.

Not a fan of Z-Wave, had very bad experience in ICS (Industrial) with that ugly ā€˜not sharing my standardā€™ protocol.

2 Likes

Edit: Well I just edited the post properly, as I still call ā€˜smoke sensorsā€™ a siren, and the siren an ā€˜alarmā€™, and saw my mistake.

So yes, I meant smoke sensors :woozy_face:

It is also worth noting that there is some other SmartThings branded devices which are also cloud execution like the SmartThings ZigBee power monitoring plug, however I would imagine with the push for local execution with the new.API solutions (RulesAPI) these will get a local execution soon.

Just an FYI some devices can be switched to local execution via changing the DTH to another standard DTH or adding the ā€œrunlocally: trueā€ in the definition of the DTH works in some cases

1 Like

Smoke sensor is a whole different device class. A Siren can be activated (made to sound) from the network, but a smoke sensor typically cannot (except for test mode). So the switch option doesnā€™t work. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Iā€™ve known about the runlocally: true + executeCommandsLocally: true + genericHandler: ā€œZigbeeā€, but as you mentioned its a lottery to know when itā€™ll work or not, as it is not yet clear to me which cases are those (Iā€™m guessing depending on the code you run (how ā€˜standardā€™ vs ā€˜customā€™ it is, or maybe depends on capabilities?) the runlocally flag will ā€˜probablyā€™ copy the groovy code into the local JVM of the hub (which Iā€™m guessing at this point is what the IDE does after IF controls).

Its still a swamp to me to know when a custom DTH ā€˜mightā€™ run locally, and if it doesnā€™t, what does the device do (revert to a generic handler, ā€œgenericHandler: ā€œZigbeeā€ā€ might just do that, and ā€˜flagā€™ the device to use standard zigbee Java/Groovy ST methods like on() off(), but this is also still an unknown (no documentation reference).

Long story short, too many unknowns yet on what runs local, and what doesnā€™t :frowning: (this might mean ill use some off time to prove when it does/doesnā€™t and create a post about it :slight_smile: )

Yes :cry:,

One of the problems to solve because of that is that my mum and grandma are deaf (so if the siren (edit: iā€™ve done it again :woozy_face:, i mean smoke sensor) is triggered she will not know), so in this example I wanted to trigger a strobing light in a specific pattern (which is what we do for the bell for my grandma) when the smoke alarm sound lets say at night when people are sleeping.

1 Like

I hear your pain as it is also mine as one of the users in NZ! Which Zigbee Smoke Sensor are you using? I was planning to go for Z-Wave ones from Heimann. Also, have you looked at the indoor Z-Wave sirens (not smoke sensors)?

1 Like

Kia Ora @sidk!

The Heiman Zigbee HS1-SA is actually sold here in NZ which means it should have passed certification, and is compliant with BS EN 14604 as required by law :slight_smile: (The newer HS3ā€™s zigbee 3.0 ones are compliant with the standard also supposedly, but havent seen them yet around).

For the Z-Wave ones I havenā€™t seen them sold here (at least where I looked) so careful with the frequency :open_mouth: (Iā€™ve heard one case where RSM has gone to a home where they used a US Z-Wave device, and asked politely to turn off the device).

Edit: As for the internal alarms (sirens (properly named now :P)), Iā€™ve been using some Tuya zigbee TS0216 (little (7cm diameter, 3.5cm tall) loud (roughly 85~100db) nice ones with light and internal battery, and the volume is controllable (need to publish the DTH yet). For outdoors, the only available thing is the ZM1621BR that smarthome.co.au sells which is Z-wave (AU/NZ compliant).

2 Likes

Kia ora @Chares
I can only see the HS1-SA with Active Automation which I believe is Z-Wave, where did you get the Zigbee one from?

Iā€™ll get some Zigbee indoor ones from Aliexpress to try. I prefer Z-Wave over Zigbee, have found it to be more reliable. Good to find a fellow SmartThings user in Aotearoa!

Iā€™ve actually got them directly from china (one came defective), but they are (overly expensive) sold here in NZ, under the ā€˜Trust Smart Homeā€™ brand, with model ZSDR-850 (They are actually the HS1-SAā€™s)

Zigbee Smoke Detector, ZSDR-850, Trust Smart Home (smarthomenz.nz)

The Z-Wave model should be HS1SA-Z

You might find the conversation in this thread develops in an interesting fashion, if I havenā€™t already mentioned it before:

This dates from a time when if you pasted code with ā€˜runlocally: trueā€™ into the IDE, you would get a cryptic error as it wasnā€™t actually allowed for the community. Then suddenly it was. I always thought warning people about the error message would have been a more comprehensible solution.

Oh and my understanding is that the local handlers are part of the firmware download. So nothing dynamic is happening.

1 Like