My Centralite smart plug is not updating accurately

This is actually the same issue I raised about my basement dishwasher some weeks ago.

My washing machine finished routine used to work flawlessly. Wattage below 5 for five minutes = wash cycle finished. But now, the status updates are not reliable. The machine can stop working, and the device Power meter will report 200 watts… even though the device history says it went to zero 15 minutes ago.

So routines no longer work correctly. I’m trying a different smart plug with my next load of laundry, to determine whether the issue is the plug or the system. Will post my findings when that occurs sometime over the next few days.

I have had the same issues with my centralite plug on my washing machine doing the same thing. It recently started saying the load has finished when there was no laundry being done.

The routine worked flawlessly for years before that.

For the aforementioned basement dishwasher, I’m going to try using a contact sensor. The dishwasher is fed by a hot water line… so the trigger to start the routine will be a rise in sensor temperature. I’ll have to see what it rises to, in order to set the trigger point.

No cycle will ever take four hours, so I will set that as the “dishes are clean” announcement point.

Hi @Glen_King

To minimize the number of messages generated by the power and energy capabilities, smartthings modified the default power and energy reports.

Power report changes are now 5 x divisor of active power or instantaneusDemand.

I don’t know which divisor the centralite plug uses, if it were 100 then it would only report changes of 500w or every 3600sec. Several devices are divisor=1, report every 5w changes

This means that in some devices there may be a residual power that is not reported until the 3600 sec interval is met.

In these cases you can verify that the minimum power indicated that the device has finished the wash and instead of adjusting the routine to 0w, adjust it to a higher consumption or a consumption of “X” w is maintained for “y” minutes

2 Likes

Oy. So I need two separate routines in ST: one to turn on the virtual switch when wattage exceeds WWW, and a second to turn off the virtual switch when the wattage remains below W for X minutes. And then of course the announcement routine in Alexa when that virtual switch turns off.

1 Like

I don’t understand why they don’t announce the changes like this. People depend on these routines. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I don’t understand the value of doing it in the first place. You’re not saving energy, and you’re making automations less effective or completely ineffective.

1 Like

It sounds like they were trying to reduce network traffic. That’s not unreasonable, but they ought to document it so people can decide for themselves whether they want to set it back.

2 Likes

(deleted)…

Hi @Glen_King

This is what I don’t quite understand.

If the device history showed 0w, then this value 0 has been sent by device, emitted by the driver and would have to match the details view.
Device history always lags behind the details view.
In the history, after the 0w event did the event with a value of 200w appear?

Therefore the automation would have had to be executed when the value 0w was emitted.

I don’t understand it either. Makes no sense at all. But here’s two separate days of it… and when it finally goes to zero on this history, the Power meter still says 200w. Next time** I will take a screenshot of that, including the Received Signal Metrics so you can see the times.

Note that in the top one I finally turn the Centralite plug itself off.
In neither instance did the routine function to turn off the virtual switch.

**hopefully, having a different plug and two separate routines means there is no “next time”.

The snapshots do not show a clear pattern of reports that match the configuration’s reportable changes and time intervals.

Only the change of 459.6w from 1:10 p.m. to 0w at 2:15 p.m. may correspond to a report with an interval of 3600 sec

If the devices migrated automatically from a DTH of the old platform, I would try to uninstall device and reinstall it so that they are configured with the latest default values of the stock driver

So you’re saying that
A) I remove this particular plug from Smartthings
B) I have Smartthings ‘find’ it again
???

Or are you saying I should somehow uninstall a device type driver and then reinstall it?

I just want to be clear, so I don’t completely mess things up.

@eric182: do not delete the device from Smartthings. I have my Centralite plug six inches from my V2 hub, and ST can no longer find the plug.

1 Like

If device has been paired with a driver then it must be paired again.

It may not have been put into pairing mode correctly, there are devices that are simply complicated.

The other day it was very difficult for me to put a frient plug in pairing mode, because it has several modes in which the LED flashes solow or fast and leads to confusion

It took twenty tries… but it finally re-paired.

Wife already has laundry on, so I can’t test this one… yet. In the meantime, the other one is there. We’ll see if it does the job. I have a load of towels to wash this afternoon, so I can test this one at that time.

2 Likes

I have many of these Centralite smart outlets. Got them years ago, when Lowe’s had them on clearance for like ten bucks or something. I’ve been deleting and re-pairing them since earlier today. Some go on the first try; some take awhile.

In any event, 3600 seconds isn’t doing it. Here’s the device screen a moment ago. Note the time in the upper left corner of the image vs the time reported in Received Signal Metrics. Note the error message at the bottom.

The washer has not been running for over an hour. I’ve even unplugged this device in the interim. 2:47pm was the prior report, which was just before the wash cycle finished

@Glen_King

Please, could you install zigbee Thing Mc driver in your Hub and perform a driver change to Zigbee Thing Mc to see the device fingerprints and cluster used?

Power meter show 300mW, that rounded in device history is 0 W.

1 Like

Private msg sent. Thanks!