Multi-Sensor on a garage door

Hello all,

I just replaced my V1 hub with a V3 hub since the original was being bricked. The documentation said I could just pair all of the old sensors to the new hub. I have paired the sensors, but the multi-sensor on my garage door does not have any option to switch to a garage door mode (open/closed based on tilt) even though all of the necessary information is present.

I found the following article on how to fix this:

Unfortunately, the option mentioned in that article is not present.

I called support and was told that the sensor was old and I just need to buy a new one.

Is there really no way to support garage doors anymore on the new hubs and apps?

Thank you for your assistance.

I have the last model of the ST multipurpose sensor and there is a setting available in the app to use it with a garage door.

So, my guess is … the support person is correct in that you will need a newer version of the sensor. It will be hard to find them until Aeotec releases their rebranded versions in the coming months.

I wonder if there is a custom device handler that you might be able to use.

I have two on separate doors and they started to act erratic.
I replaced them with regular Iris contact switches.

After a recent update, my multi sensor is offline. Sorry if I’m out of the loop, but I believe this device/feature was on the list of items that would not work after the transition.

Anyone find a fix for this? If the axis control doesn’t work, is there a way to reset it and use for another purpose like just the contact sensor? Ideally I still want it on my garage door!

Use the community developed multi purpose sensor Edge Driver from @Mariano_Colmenarejo

2 Likes

Embarrassed to be such a newbie, is there a simple way to explain this or a link that would help?

Hi @jeff909

• click on this link to roll up your Hub on my Edge drivers shared channel.
    SmartThings. Add a little smartness to your things.
  • Follow the steps to accept and enroll
  • Enter to see the drivers that the channel has and look for the Zigbee Contact Mc driver
  • Click on install. The driver will be installed on your Hub
  • In the App add the device with the option to search nearby
  • The device will appear in Unassigned Room
  • In setting you can select the X,Y,Z axis to use with the garage door option. Default is Z axis as DTH

Thanks @jkp

2 Likes

Seems simple, thanks so much for the basic 101.

Obvious question but just checking, but do you need to remove and reset the device and then re-pair via this new process ?

if it is currently using another Edge Driver - the answer is no. you can change it in the app . if it is using a DTH then yes.

1 Like

It’s using the old way for years ago, assume that’s what you mean by DTH. Thanks for the help, I’ll give it a try this evening.

correct. so you would need to remove it and add it back after you add the Edge Driver.

@jeff909

If is a older smartthings multiporpuse sensor then You can try with the smartthings stock beta driver.