Minka Fan speed controll

(Mase Driskell) #1

I have seen the insteon fan controllers but they look to mainly control fan lights off/on and fan power.
I want to use my GE fan controller on my Minka fan but it has the Minka 6 speed DC motor and Proprietary Minka rf 6 speed remote with it. from everything I’ve read my GE fan controller will mess with the minka invertor and hurt the motor.

What I am looking for is a replacement controller that is ST compatible to change the speed without a remote.
Does anyone know how to get a standard GE to work with this 6speed DC motor or a replacement controller for it?
I’ve been searching for hours and cannot find anything.

Did you ever find a solution to this? For some reason, there are very limited types of internet enabled smart ceiling fan controllers. I have 7 Minka Aire ceiling fans of various types. All are 3 speed though. Three of the receivers have burned up and I’ve replaced them with honeywell controllers.

A while back, I came across a project that allows you to bridge MQTT with SmartThings. https://github.com/stjohnjohnson/smartthings-mqtt-bridge

MQTT allows you to send simple lightweight messages over TCP/IP. I also discovered esp8266 WiFi modules and a software package called Homie https://github.com/marvinroger/homie-esp8266 which allows you to internet enable anything you can think of and control them using MQTT.

I opened a Minka remote and figured out where the buttons connected to. This remote doesn’t use ground for the button contacts which makes it a little more involved to control. I wanted to use transistors as they are inexpensive, small and quiet but I’m a beginner with circuit design and couldn’t get it to work 100% due to multiple button contacts sharing the same circuit. I ended up just using 6 relays which aside from the loud clicks, works perfectly.

The honeywell remote has each button shorting to ground so a simple transistor based circuit works fine with it.

I then wrote a small Homie app to control the esp8266 and a SmartThings device handler to interface with the esp8266 using MQTT messages.

I almost bought the Hampton Bay ZigBee controllers but at $50, I figured I’d give my custom solution a try first as I already had the parts and they only cost about $10.