Migration & Alex Skill Confusion

I also manually migrated months ago. I concur with black-paladin, and the SmartThings folks are advising the same.

I too use a virtual switch (the SmartThings written device handler version) to exposed the STHM to Alexa and Google Home, and it works fine with the new Alexa skill so keep troubleshooting.

When I was using the old Alexa skill, it always had issues staying in sync with SmartThings devices. If I made any changes, like changing the device name in SmartThings, those changes would cause Alexa issues when using the old Alexa skill. I’m sure glad they fixed that in the new skill. However, I’ll bet strange issues can happen when the old Alexa skill is out of sync with current SmartThings devices the new Alexa skill is activated.

As for your issue, since the Alexa app doesn’t see the virtual switch, I’d go to the Alexa website portal and see if the virtual switch is listed there in the device listing. If so, I’d remove the virtual switch from the Alexa website device list since your saying that the Alexa app can’t see it anyway. Then I’d rediscover devices using the Alexa app, and hopefully it will find the SmartThings virtual switch and sync it up so that Alexa can see it and use it in Alexa routines.

1 Like