Migrating to new app - Many issues

Just to add to previous posts. I have an open ticket with ST re the phone location in the new app. I have found it enables and then after a while switches itself off, but not before it creates multiple entries in the device list for the phone. So each time you enable … the more phone devices which then totally confuses both new and old classic app. Now trying getting ST support to understand this and do something about it. At first they want to blame the IOS level of my phone… proved its not that … then they ask me to delete the multiple entries, which I had already done … but they don’t seem to get it. What will it take for ST support to step up and start fixing problems rather than resorting to using the same excuses time and time again. Myself I have given up and started looking for an alternative platform to ST. once I find a way to reuse my existing devices I will be off and if I think this way so will many others// So ST wake up or fold up !!

1 Like

It will turn itself off on iOS if you still have the Classic app installed. Mine finally stayed enabled after deleting the Classic app from my phone. I now only have Classic on an iPad at home.

Thanks i did think that might be the case so i pointed this out to ST support but they didnt pick up on it or mention that. Will have to try and see what happens .

Thank you got the detailed views, appreciated!

Thank you, as always, for the the detailed views, appreciated!

Separate note and maybe better for a different thread. If so let me know.

I’d like to work a way that based on a notification to a fire tablet, that the ST app changes to a predefined mode/or off (aim being to arm or disarm my smart alarm, from a dedicated ‘semi-smart’ house alarm). ?

Yes the classic app certainly interferes with ST new app, but for me the logoff problem still occurs even with Classic not installed (very frustrating). Refer Ongoing Auto-Logoff with new ST app

Yeah, that is correct. I was referring to location services.

1 Like

I switched back to ST Classic yesterday, and working as expected (rock solid) whilst also enjoying more complete automation routines including OOTB Smart Home Monitor integration with location services. ST v3 still installed (location disabled), but won’t be uplifting until more complete and stable.

I tried migrating over, only to discover two Z-wave devices didn’t migrate. The devices are an Aeotec heavy duty switch I use on my water well pump and the other is an EcoNet Controls valve. These were set to turn off and close upon the detection of water from one or more of my Samsung moisture sensors through a Smartapp within the Classic app. This always worked great for the last few years. So, since these devices didn’t seem to go through the migration stage, I contacted Samsung. After a few days of receiving instructions on what to do (none worked), I wasn’t hearing back from them, so I reached out again, only to be told that “upon review of my case, they decided they could not offer me any further assistance as they only offer support to the US, and where I am located in Canada, they can’t help.” Sweet! So, one of the things they got me to do is remove the Smartapp within the Classic app which I did, but now, I still don’t have these devices in the new app and I can’t re-add the smartapp to the Classic app any longer. What now?

Did the devices not appear in the new app or could you see them in the new app but did not have the same capabilities you had in the Classic app? If they did not appear, ST support should be able to perform the sync. You may need to ask them to escalate the ticket to higher level support. If just not seeing the same capabilities that was available in the Classic app, maybe someone here can assist with modding the Custom DTH to work with the new app if that is what you used or guide you to an appropriate stock DTH.

As for reinstalling the app in the Classic app… you should still be able to add it back or also in the new app. If you provide the smartapp you were using or a link to it, maybe someone on here will be familiar with it and be able to provide assistance.

There is the option to close valves when a leak is detected with STHM under settings for leak sensors and you can also utilize automations.

The switch originally showed up in the new app, but they had me remove it. I was able to remove it from the new app but now I can’t re-add it.

The Smartapp I’m referring to is the feature within the Classic app that does the “if something occurs, do this” feature. The photo attached shows the notice that I can no longer add this command back in the Classic app and because the z-wave device do not show in the new app, I can’t add it there either.

Regarding dealing with my case, as indicated, they are refusing to help me further or escalate it since I’m in Canada and not the US.

I’m not a programmer so I fumble my way through this stuff as best I can but any help would be much appreciated.

Yes, there is the message at the top saying you can’t but you can :). If you open smart lighting, you can still add smart lighting rules. :slight_smile:

Smart lighting is also available in the new app under menu (3 bars in the upper left of the screen) and select Smartapps . If it does not appear, add it from the main dashboard by clicking + in the upper right of the screen then select smartapp and add it.

There is also Automations that do If Then. To add an automation, on the main dashboard click + in the upper right of the screen and select Automation.

Thanks, but I’m not trying to do anything with my lighting. I had a smartapp that would turn my switch off and close a valve when the sensors detected water. I can’t add this again in the Classic app, but perhaps I’ve misunderstood what you are trying to get me to do.

Again, if you provide a link to this app… perhaps I or someone else can help.

I don’t know how to do that and that doesn’t sound secure.

Fair enough. I hope you are able to resolve the issue.

You may want to look at STHM in the new app and automations to perform the tasks you described.

As indicated, if someone uses layman terms to help me fumble my way through. I can’t use the new app since the two devices I need to operate do not appear. I do not see anything labelled STMH in there. How do I provide a link? I just don’t understand why Samsung refuses to help because I’m in Canada.

STHM = SmartThings Home Monitor

Instructions for adding it and configuring it can be found in the following clickable link:

I finally bit the bullet and migrated yesterday. Other then the need to reset up presence (we’re using iOS) the migration actually went well. I needed to invite other family members using the bar code scan process (under the Members section) to get the app and presence working on the other iOS devices in the family after updating their devices to the new app as well. To do that, you need to access SmartThings settings from the main menu, and toggle “Get your location from this phone” to ON. Then revisit automations using presence to make sure they reference the correct devices as names may change.
Webcore, Core, SHM, custom apps etc. seem to work fine. I have a pretty extensive system including 200+ devices, theatre integration with Harmony etc. so I was expecting more issues. I’d say it went quite well.

I’m hoping to have the same experience as you. Have much less devices than you but do use Webcore extensively but not SHM, and very few devices with custom handlers. Did you have any old custom device handlers that you had to deal with? And if so, what did you do for those?

I use an old GOULNER’s RG Linear GD00Z Garage Door Opener device handler but can’t seem to find any info on how to migrate (if I can at all) to some generic garage door opener or something.