Migrating Hub-V2

Now day three and no response from support.

So why don’t you just create a new location, and start your V2 hub on it?

I resorted to creating an entirely new account so I don’t have to risk any issues down the road due to this bug that was known to exist prior to shipping the devices.

I also want a working v1 and v2 hub. The v1 hub cannot be used by me or anyone until the location is removed. This is also an unsupported configuration. “Why” should I have to risk starting all over again, again?

You simply will not concede that this is horrible customer service and the lack of acknowledgement or apology from ST is unacceptable.

My HUB2 will not pair to anything. I confirmed in my mind the HUB is defective as when I reinitiated by HUB1 paring work immediately. I removed 51 devices form my HUB1.

Attempts to get assistance for ST have basically fallen on deaf ears. There idea of customer support is to send out a “Ill help you email” but never returning the help I needed. They refused to replace my hub until they can prove to them selves the hub is defective but without a timely interactive process we will never get to the root -cause of the problem.

Any good troubleshooting will tell you t contain the problem first. ST should first stop shipping HUB2 and advise new HUB2 recipients to hold off until they clear the overwhelming problems they already have. At this point I’m ready to move onto something else. ST’s handling of these issues is horrible.

I have a large setup on my v1 and my v2 will arrive shortly. I’m curious as to setting up a new location - does that mean I don’t have to remove devices from v1? what is the benefit?

Thank you

@mhonard1 So Sorry to hear about your horrible nightmare with the V2 migration AKA “Nightmare on Hub2 Street”. You are not alone, but having a H/W issue on a new hub is a added twist.

When I was setting my new V2 up a week ago, I ran into several show stoppers when removing V1 and all the associated devices & customizations. ST Chat was UNAVAILABLE :rage: and ST Email Support NEVER emailed me back :sob: until the next day that evening. ST Support basically sent me a uncaring link to the V2 migration instructions which I had stated that I had read 100 times and I needed assistance removing a Kwikset lock and several smartAPPS that were deadlocked. Had my Hub2 been defective on power up after removing the 50+ devices I would have had a heart attack.

Since my V2 migration and hours reinstalling every device, custom SmartAPPs & dedicated device drivers, it looks like I have achieved stability and functionality as V1. I am waiting, like other V2 migrators, for ST to settle down and provide the support and features we expected from a Samsung company.

Mid day Friday and I received an email from support to try to pair by bringing the hub on battery closer to device and go through a pair/exclusion routine. Of course after having over 50 experiences with all sorts of devices you would think they would realize I’m not stupid and have tried everything (including reconnecting my old hub) to prove the hub2 DOES NOT PAIR. ST JUST SEND ME A NEW HUB TONIGHT PLEASE. Because if I have to repair everything to HUB1 to get back to normal I might as well go through the hassle of another home hub vendor.

But I did what they asked and of course it won’t pair. So now I wait for ever to see if they will come back with another useless troubleshooting tip.

Second thought maybe while I’m waiting I’ll go to Lowes and Buy Iris or Staples and buy D-link or maybe Home Depot and buy a Wink. At least the Wink works with Caseta lighting and my amazon Echo too.

1 Like

You’ll still need to remove devices from the v1. The devices themselves will not be free to join another hub until they have been removed/unpaired from the old hub.

1 Like

Which can be done from the new hub. I’m not at all sure why ST is saying you have to go to all of this trouble to delete things. @Alex simply nuked his old location, and started from scratch with the new hub. Zigbee devices can simply be reset. Z-wave devices need to be excluded, but general exclude works from the new hub.

@bravenel
I know in my migration, to successfully perform an exclude and include on the unresponsive device, I had to physically place the V2 hub within 12" or closer to the Z-wave device (this was the recommendation of the each vendor I contacted since ST Help and Migration Assistance was MIA). My V2 hub was 15’ from the first affected device and it would not accept the exclude and include. This was frustrating for me as some of the affected devices were more than 50’ away from the nearest ethernet jack in my house, and I had to rig a separate wireless router in client mode to the V2 hub and walk it around the house to those devices that did not exclude from V1.

Again, this was not mentioned in the ST Migration document, or any tip sheet that they wanted to share when I pleaded for assistance.

But all in all, my device are back online as they were in V1, so I am treading water.

This is quite frankly bullshit - Smartthings should refund at least $50 for all we suckers who bought this without a tool to truly migrate our things. I have over 80 devices. I am starting a new twitter hashtag - #smarthingsrefundV2

i’m going to do this (nuke my location). hope it works. quite confused now!

1 Like

Ok I finally convinced ST that my HUB was defective and they agreed to send me a new one, WOW what a hassle.

Great. Thanks.

Now where was this posted? I don’t recall it in the emails sent out heralding the new hub and telling me they were offering a great deal if I upgraded. I had hoped that the new hub would fix all the annoying bugs in the version 1.0 hub.

My mistake.

I need to turn my cynicism up to 11 and remember that people are just no damned good.

Same here, with kids I don’t have the time to do this!

I already deleted the 50+ devices and have the “cannot remove location” bug. I set aside time this weekend to finish the three nights leading up to this removing devices and connections.

Sent a support ticket and figured they’re closed this weekend. I did get a partial bundle deal so I’m not too upset (thanks slickdeals for f#cking up the initial customer bundle – although custom coupon codes which other companies have done would have avoided that). I’m going to hold my breath and just use the DELETE ME renaming method since we have no sensors and theft has gone through the roof in the area.

Fingers crossed. :flushed:

No worries about the old location that you can’t delete. It has no hub connected to it, it is meaningless.

Just set up a new location with a new name, and then you are good to go with your new hub at that new location.

Someday, you will be able to delete that old location. But, it doesn’t matter for now.

Is there any chance we’ll be getting a migration tool? I have sensors in my crawlspace, attic, and other locations that I don’t want to have to re-visit unless I must - like when their batteries die.

1 Like

Even with the migration tool, if there are zigbee sensors, it’s likely you’ll have to physically handle each one. That’s considered a security feature in zigbee so that devices can’t be stolen wirelessly from one network and added to another controller. Basically you’re proving you have the right to move the sensor over to another controller because you already have physical access to it. Every zigbee device has its own unique network ID which it broadcasts to the controller. It’s one of the reasons so many security systems use Zigbee.

The migration tool would more likely be focused on moving over your smart apps and that kind of thing. But no one knows for sure yet. SmartThings staff have said they’re looking into a migration tool, but no details or firm timelines have been given.

Zwave, which has always been more about home automation then security, does have an optional feature to transfer all the devices from one controller to another, but SmartThings hasn’t implemented it yet.

So if your sensors are zwave, it might be worth waiting to see what they come up with. If they’re Zigbee, I think you’re going to have to handle them individually anyway.

Thanks for the info. All my sensors are zwave, so I shall wait.