Meross 3 socket outdoor plug $9.59 (now $7.19)

Lowest price I have seen for this plug. Non-homekit version. Click the 40% off coupon.

Valid until August 23, 2021

3 Likes

Do these report on/off state in Smartthings?

My interest in Wi-Fi devices has been stimulated lately. I think I recall some discussions about device state, with Smartthings, as related to Wi-Fi devices.

First rule of home automation: “ The model number matters.“ There’s no general statement you can make about Wi-Fi devices in this regard. Some update their state almost instantly, some take a while, it depends on the specifics of the integration.

1 Like

They do.

I like both Meross and TP-link Kasa for smart plugs. The kasa plugs do not have homekit support but have a higher amp support (15amp) vs meross (10 amp)

2 Likes

I try not to take things for granted, but I’m guessing that a Wi-Fi device claiming to “work with Smartthings”, at minimum would report on/off state, in Smartthings?

Several Meross smart plugs built for the US with HomeKit support are spec’d to 15A, I initially chose them for just this reason. The European models sometimes have a lower max.

For example, I have several of these, which are on sale right now at $27 for three when you apply the coupon on the product page.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-Support-HomeKit-Assistant-SmartThings/dp/B084JD86NT

1 Like

Sorry, my bad… I was referencing the outdoor meross plugs

1 Like

Not necessarily, historically some integrations have been one way only. You can turn it on or off from the smartthings app or a smartthings automation, but if you turn it on from its own app or from the wall that state change would not be reflected back to smartthings. It’s up to each manufacturer what they include in their integration.

1 Like

I have had great success with my Meross products. All of them properly report to SmartThings. The outdoor plugs I have (2 plug, non-homekit MSS620) let me address either plug individually or both plugs simultaneously. it shows as three discreet units in SmartThings each with their own states

1 Like

Likewise. I have noticed one slight issue though in that history seems to show multiple entries for the same events on mine. It’s the same for all three that I have.

Do these have a ST native device type handler?

Just wondering what the future may hold, with regard to custom handlers etc…

“Native“ doesn’t really apply anymore for most devices since now it is the responsibility of the manufacturers to create the DTHs.

So now we have three groups:

1. “stock“ DTHs which are for generic capabilities and are provided by Samsung. These are typically down loaded into the firmware of the hub and available to all customers, although some might be region-locked. At the present time I don’t think there are any of these for Wi-Fi devices except the hue bridge and maybe Sonos and a couple of other big brands that have special arrangements with Samsung. But in the future we might see these for Matter- compatible devices, which would be cool. :sunglasses:

2. manufacturer-provided integrations, which are the responsibility of the manufacturer to maintain. These might be a DTH or might be a cloud to cloud integration which will just show “placeholder“ as the DTH. This is what Meross uses.

3. Community-created DTHs which are custom code that run in the groovy cloud. Since the groovy cloud will be going away in a few months, these are the ones most likely to disappear. Once the groovy cloud goes away these would have to be converted to use the same method as option 2, and Samsung will no longer be providing the hosting for these.

2 Likes

The meross items are cloud integrations

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, it took this discussion for me to start to get a grasp of where things are headed with devices in general, absent some unified device handler.

I suppose Meross is held in high regard, and their devices can be bought without much concern of them losing functionality.

I think with SmartThings you just never know for sure. :thinking: Fibaro devices were held in high regard, are zwave certified, but because of idiosyncrasies of the ST abstraction layer, required custom code to work from 2014 until 2018. They worked well in that fashion. But with the changeover to the new architecture now some models work and some don’t. :disappointed_relieved:

SmartThings does not guarantee that anything, even, for example, their own brand of cameras, will continue to work. Ever. That’s in the terms of service you agreed to when you first set up your ST account.

So…Meross is well regarded, but no guarantees.

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services. We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical.

Samsung Account

1 Like

Very good point.

I’ll probably stay on the fence long enough for the sale to be over, but yeah I would still feel pretty good about buying a Meross product.

I think…

1 Like

I have quite a few of their devices and like them a lot. The models I have currently work with ST, HomeKit, IFTTT, Alexa, and Google Assistant, so lots of options. ETL certifications, great prices. :sunglasses: But again, nothing is future proof with ST.

1 Like

They have different models… those that have homekit support and those that do not. the homekit versions are more expensive. So be careful to check the models before purchasing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point! I will fix my post above. :sunglasses:

This deal has been extended to August 23, 2021

1 Like