Lutron Integration @ CES?

Hi all, unfortunately SmartThings does not receive any information when Pico buttons are pressed.

2 Likes

The Lutron Pro bridge will pick up the Picos. However, the ST integration seems to be just Caseta (non pro)

Random note - the Lutron bridges have a 1-2 sec delay between button press and when the event displays on their bridge. Then from there it has to go to the cloud. So, button pressing on a dimmer might be a few seconds delayed. Maybe not a big deal for you, but not really instant

2 Likes

@JDRoberts - And this is why I ask you! Very good points you bring up. I may look into the Pico remote using HomeKit scenes thoughā€¦that seems like a possible work around. Honestly, I just wish Phillips would make the hue dimmer switch small enough and a bracket so it can mount directly on a gang box. Itā€™s annoying that there really is no standard way to retrofit it into the existing space. The best Iā€™ve come up with is Command Strips tape for single gang boxes. If itā€™s a double gang, thereā€™s very little that can be done. The best I was able to come up with what a blank plate with some velcro. It does the job but it looks far from clean lol.

1 Like

I just saw the tweet today from Lutron. This is what Iā€™ve been waiting for! This past summer I managed to get grab a bunch of Caseta sets when Loweā€™s made a pricing mistake. The kit that came with a hub, 2 switches, and 2 remotes was regularly $229.99. Loweā€™s was going to discount them $50 down to $179.99 but messed up in their system and discounted them $179.99 for a price of $50. Hit up 4 stores that day and managed to get 4 sets before they caught their mistake. When I tried a 5th store the next day they were priced back to $179.99. Anyway it wasnā€™t until I got home before I realized they didnā€™t work with ST, but at the price I paid I just started using them with HomeKitā€¦ Iā€™m no big fan of HomeKit.Mainly it loses connection far to often not only with my Casetas but my iDevices outlets also.Iā€™ve been holding off on installing the rest waiting, wishing, praying that they would get ST compatibility, or at least Google Home.

Yup~This is precisely why I will be sticking with my solution. That and the Pico and scene stuff of course. Who knows though maybe it will surprise us all and be really fast. We shall seeā€¦

1 Like

We had so many problems with the ihome outlets that we ended up returning them. But all of the other HomeKit stuff has worked well for us, including the idevices. And weā€™ve never had a disconnect with Lutron switches, which are now all over the house. One of the new features coming to Caseta that was announced at CES is the ability to use one Lutron pocket socket as a repeater for their protocol.

Extend the wireless range of your Caseta Smart Bridge with a Plug-in Dimmer - If there is an area of your home where you would like to add Lutron devices but is out of range of your Smart Bridge, you can now add a Plug-in Dimmer to add coverage.

Only one at present, but itā€™s intended for the DIY market where devices may be added over time somewhat haphazardly from a backbone point of view.

As always, ā€œall home automation is localā€ and what works well at one personā€™s house might not work well at another. But itā€™s always good to have more options for improving the network strength. :sunglasses:

The repeater function sounds great. I guess I didnā€™t describe it correctly. The Lutrons didnā€™t disconnect. In HomeKit it does the thing where you open the Home app or bring up the Home widget from the control center and the icon just shows ā€œupdatingā€. Sometimes you just have to tap it a couple of times, sometimes it just says Iā€™m out of luck. Happens more on my iPad than my iPhone but I can rest assured it will be 3 or 4 times a week. The iDevices happen several times a day. And it completely disconnected once after an OS update. Had to set it up completely again. Guess Iā€™ve just had a more consistent experience with ST than HK. But I plan on switching out the iDevices with the Lutron plug in dimmers anyway.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what you mean by ā€œyour solutionā€ - i probably missed something, but i certainly want to be able to use the pico remotes. Ive actually been debating about moving away from smartthings and caseta is high on the list as in mostly interested in lighting anyway. I had vera and switched back to smartthings 2 when they promised local processing and i kind of regret that decision.

I am referring to the script I built to allow control of Lutron Caseta within ST. It requires a middle man server of some sort which can be a Raspberry pi or other computer that is always on. It works very well and is fast and reliable. I have not released the code that adds the ability to add Pico remotes and control ST device with them just yet because I am not quite finished with it. I can confirm however that assuming you have the PRO version of the bridge the Picos do work. For just regular control either bridge will suffice. Check it out and if you have questions feel free to ask in that thread.

2 Likes

For anybody that is stocking up on Lutron in anticipation, the starter kit ( Hub, 2 dimmers, 2 remotes) is still an Alexa deal for $119. smile.amazon.com/Alexadeals

Deal is gone as of today. (But you can still get that damn Garth Brooks CD theyā€™ve been pushing for at least 2+ months)

3 Likes

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Alliances.aspx

1 Like

Any news or indication as to when official Luton caseta support will be enabled?

I havenā€™t seen any. I check the link @JDRoberts posted to Lutronā€™s official website every few days, but itā€™s still showing ā€œComing Soonā€.

1 Like

Itā€™s fairly far along in our testing process. Itā€™s going well!

4 Likes

Well come on, I spent all that $$$ on Lutron and having to use IFTTT to turn on lights is pathetic. :smile_cat:

1 Like

@njschwartz has created a really useful implementation you can use to do the integration now if youā€™d like. [BETA] Lutron Caseta Integration using Raspberry Pi (Pro or Standard Bridge) [DEPRECATED--See new Release thread instead]

You donā€™t have to use a raspberry pi, BTW. Iā€™ve got my running on a linux VM. Itā€™s pretty straight forward so you might check it out if you just canā€™t wait for that integration.

1 Like

Would be nice if SmartThings could add-on the Lutron protocol to their hub by using the USB port on the hub with a USB dongle. This way there is no need for a Lutron Bridge:sweat_smile:

Donā€™t see Lutron letting that happen.

1 Like

Lutron is fine with dongles as long as they are licensed. But you donā€™t need one, Lutron has an open API which allows for telnet integration with the Lutron Smartbridge. Lutron generally likes integrations with systems that provide extended functionality.

Since the SmartThings hub doesnā€™t support telnet, Two different community members have created ā€œman in the middleā€ server integrations with Lutron using the telnet options.

1 Like