Lutron Caseta integration do I need a smart bridge?

Lowe’s prices vary from store to store, so something can be on clearance at one store and full price at another.

That could be very true. But I want to get this setup asap. I’ve been wanting to start this for a long time. I started out with X10 and had a bunch of lights “running” off that. I actually still have 3 lights connected to a remote that still for the most part works but it’s buggy and I have been wanting to get a better system going for ever. Soon as I get this bridge I can replace the last thing on x10 and get pretty much all my living room up and running on smarthings/Lutron. I bought a echo dot for voice automation. I will probably switch to a google home eventually but wanted to try it out and the dot was only 50 bucks. Lots of fun! :slight_smile:

What’s your Lowes store? (address/store number)? I once got a screamin’ deal on some roof paint and Lowes shipped it from Idaho to SoCal for $40!

JDRoberts. Thank you very much for this comprehensive reply re Lutron Caseta Integration and SmartThings Hub. It really clarified a lot of questions in my head and what a relief, I had just placed an order for Lutron Caseta Smart Switch Kit that includes a hub and for a while I wondered if I needed the hub if there was going to be SmartThings in my future. Per your explanation, I need both, so my order will go as is. Definitely I will also have a SmartThings hub for the other smart upgrades I will do in my house. Cheers!

1 Like

@JDRoberts do you know if the Lutron/SmartThings integration includes blinds/shades on the Lutron system?

Yes, it works with Serena for sure. It might work with some of the other models, but you would need the smartbridge pro.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks!

See the following thread:

I’ve read you can create custom commands and link them to devices for Alexa, so you could replace “blinds on” with “blinds open” that way.

You can just use Amazon routines for that now, and use almost any phrasing you want. :sunglasses:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202200080

If you’re going to get a Caseta Smart Bridge, get the Pro. It’s a little more expensive but if you want to integrate with other home controllers later (Hubitat for eg) you’ll need the telnet that only the Pro has.

Hi jdrobert,
I’m also a Lurton fan for their reliability and ease to work. I only have a lutron hub and several dimmers in wall and plugins. I do not know have the smartthing hub. But for years, I’ve been looking to get a real plugin switch (not dimmer) that would work with the lutron hub. I need to connect transformers that does not support dimming. Any idea if that such thing exists? I communicated with Lutron but this didn’t help.

Regards,

If you mean directly with the Lutron smartbridge, I don’t know of any.

That said, Lutron now offers Multiple integrations that might give you what you want.

Obviously, smartthings is one.

If you use an iPhone, you can use apple’s HomeKit and tie together The Lutron Caseta switches with any other HomeKit – compatible devices. Although this isn’t a direct integration, it does run locally even if your Internet is down as long as your local Wi-Fi still works.

Kind of weird, it worked with the Wink smart hub with no bridge, so one would think it would work with this Samsung hub. I am not going to buy another piece of hardware. And I will not pay Wink to use the hub that they said was free to use. It looks like I’ll have to send this one back and buy another hub if anybody else does Lutron without the bridge.

Wink was the only company I am aware of, that was able to license the use of the lutron technology.

1 Like

It worked with wink because wink paid to license the Lutron proprietary radio from Lutron. So did the now discontinued Staples Connect. Most of the other home automation systems did not, including SmartThings. integration with SmartThings and most other home automation systems is done through the Lutron SmartBridge.