Lowes Iris z wave garage door opener tilt sensor issue

I have had this opener for about a week working properly. Now all of a sudden it’s only showing open and I cannot use it anymore. I’ve tried manually tilting the sensor, an opening and closing the garage door from the button on the wall. I still get the same result. The garage door opener in the Smartthings app is showing open.

The only thing I can think of to change the battery in the tilt sensor. If that doesn’t work I will delete the opener from Smartthings reset it, and then added back and see if that works. Anybody else experiencing this problem? Does the tilt sensor communicate with the iris opener? Or does it communicate with the hub?

Talks to the opener. Bring it closer to the opener and test if you didn’t already when you manually rotated it, maybe it’s a distance thing?

Edit: I had to reset mine a few times before it worked reliably so might be a good idea anyway.

Thank you. !

I found this link very helpful when installing mine. I also had to pair/reset a few times to get it to work, but it’s been super solid since.

Mike, I deleted the Iris opener,reset it, and re-added it to st. Now it’s working again. Thank you.

1 Like

And then Lowe’s got out of the IRIS business on March 31, 2019, and left us all hanging.

I have switched to ST with all my Iris v2 devices long before that. The garage door opener I got several years ago is still working although I have to reconnect twice within the last year. I can’t complain as Lowes refunded me $100 for the hub that I got for free in a bundle with a thermostat which was ~$70.

Oh yeah, I ditched IRIS well before the cutoff date, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth when Lowe’s announced its discontinuance. I got a $550 refund which was nice but still…

My original “IRIS” garage door controller will work with ST but, like yours, it tends to disconnect once in a while. In fact, it’s disconnected right now. This time it’s probably going to require a hard reset and re-pairing which is a pain.

I wonder if hub updates from ST is causing those disconnects or if it’s the controller itself. My hub-to-controller-module distance is about 25 feet including 1 wood-framed wall. Moving the controller module may help, but that will be a pain also.

The disconnection may be cased by the hub update as I have quite a few devices also lost connection at the same time. I spent one day to reconnect more than a handful of devices including the GoControl garage door opener. I am not sure who should be blamed, GoControl or ST.
The discontinuation of Iris did not affect me at all as I only kept it for a couple sensors that can trigger the Iris Hub built-in beeper and are independent of other home automation devices. Thanks to the termination of Iris, I got a bunch of sensors, siren, smartplug, etc at deep discounted prices. I am actually very happy for their termination of Iris.

As for the (Linear) Garage Door Opener disconnect problem, today I decided that I would check the battery in the tilt sensor even though it had been recently replaced. I removed the battery and checked its voltage. It was fine. I snapped the same battery back into the sensor and, lo, the GDO showed connected and all is well. For now, anyway.

So, does the tilt sensor need to be reset from time-to-time, or is it the problem caused by pushed downloads to the hub, or is it the GDO that is flakey? Who knows? But I would like to have a little more reliability.

I too, had switched to ST before IRIS was discontinued so the only real downside was having to rebuild my network with ST-compatible devices. I now have a washtub of incompatible IRIS devices (mainly smartplugs) because Lowe’s made them uniquely coded and tried to mousetrap their customers. However, their refund/rebate process was quite timely and fair, and it certainly covered my out-of-pocket costs.

However, I still have a bucket of unusable/incompatible IRIS devices in storage just waiting for ST to somehow make them usable again.

That is exactly the idea. They refund you only for the devices that are proprietary to Iris. I received nothing for my smert plus, water leak sensor, switches, window/door sensors, etc as they are all compatible with ST and other hubs. I don’t think those imcompatible Iris devices will be supported by other hubs in the future. They should have set up a recycle box to collect them at Lowes.