Low battery notification from ST!?

ST support low battery notification now? Received this alert this am.

2 Likes

How did you sign up for it? I didn’t see a sign up sheet…

Update: forgot to drop :smile: at the end of my post… :smile:

1 Like

Nice! I didn’t know that this existed.

I’m really not sure where the notification came from, perhaps a new feature!

I’ve been getting them for a while now - unfortunately it keeps saying 1% battery remaining (that was 3 weeks ago and it’s still going strong!).

I got one this morning also. Says my motion has 0% battery, in app it shows as 22% and it is reporting motion accurately.

1 Like

22% is closed to flat, the device don’t report the exact number, so I’m not surprised with that

Is this iOS app, mine doesn’t look anything like it on Android…

Yes, iOS…

We have always had the low battery notifications, but they were buggy/broken for a long time. One of the ongoing (less sexy) projects we have in the works is better proactive updates on the status connectivity/health/etc. of your device. There might have been a change that kickstarted notifications for some users.

If so, the reason you are getting wishy-washy notifications is because battery levels fluctuate (partially the reason we report in tiers). I believe we are sending notifications every time the battery level crosses a certain threshold. As we improve the device health framework, we will add in conditions to prevent false positives (e.g., wait for two low battery reports in X minutes before pushing a notification). This is the very early phases of a new feature set - stay tuned for updates!

4 Likes

Coming soon to a hub near you!

1 Like

So my motion sensor that ST reported was 0% but showed 22% died last night.

Seems ST was right on the mark with the notification. :tada:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, were you alerted that it died? How did you know it was no longer functioning?

My motion based lighting automations weren’t working. But to your point, check out “Simple Device Viewer” it can notify you if a device hasn’t been heard from in a period of time you specify.

I’m using a third party app as well. I was just wondering if you knew based on something built into ST, rather than a third party app most people wouldn’t know about.

@Aaron, I hope that whatever you guys are building takes into account not just low battery warnings, but devices that stop responding at all without a low batter warning first. I think about water sensors throughout a house. Whatever you build, it should be able to alert a user that a water sensor hasn’t responding in, say, 24 hours, and is therefore likely dead, whether it be a battery failure or something else. To gregs point, much like some third party apps. The worst thing that could happen to a user is to have a leak, only to find out that the water sensor itself hadn’t been communicating for months!

Just a suggestion, but I hope you guys create a built in solution for this type of scenario. Thx!

3 Likes