I have been playing with various models of Zwave SmartLocks (Kwikset). For the most part, they work well. Occasionally, they will go into “unknown” state in the ST Smart Lock app. Once this happens, they show as “unlocked” in the ST device screen even if locked. Control of the locks does not work at this point. Manually moving the locking bolt with cause the status to update and everything is fine at that point. Happens about 1-2 a day while I have been testing them out. Ideas?
How far is the closest beaming repeater from the lock that is not updating status? And did you run a Z wave repair after you added the new locks to your network?
I did perform a zwave repair after including them. The most troublesome lock is probably 20 feet from the hub and about 20 feet from 3 zwave in-wall switches. The second lock that has done this is only about 5 feet from the hub.
If you read the FAQ I linked to above, you will see the distance from the hub is not the issue with lock status. You often need to add a beaming repeater close to the lock even for a lock which is already close to the hub.
20 feet from the wall switches is too far for this particular issue. The lock will choose one very close (10 feet or less) beaming repeater to act as its “answering service“. Again, this is all covered in the FAQ.
The benefit of this technology is that you get much longer lasting batterylife for the locks while also getting quick response time.
I did take a look at it. Thanks for the link. I was just replying with my setup in case someone else sees something similar. I’ll try putting an in wall switch next to the door lock (1 ft) and see if it resolves itself.
One interesting note on the troublemaker lock is that it is routing itself away from the hub, chasing a repeater (smart plug) that is far away and running around the house back to the hub through switches.