I like the format of this thread, but I did just want to mention a couple of other places where you can look for inspiration.
The official SmartThings blog runs feature stories on all kinds of projects, including an automated chicken coop. Always fun to look at.
The projects category of the forum can be a little hard to scan, but there’s a lot of interesting stuff there, from automated dog doors and water bowl fillers to vacuum cleaner automation and specific lighting projects.
https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories
There’s a gallery thread where people post pictures and videos of interesting projects.
How about some pictures or videos of your setup? Mine is pretty simple. I have a couple of light switches which turn on the porch lights when it senses motion at the front door. Motion sensor is in the upper left side on the ceiling. I also have a couple of Nest Cams, one outside, one inside and a few Nest Protects.
[image]
And more pictures:
Soooooo time for a little fun
I dont know if anyone else is the same, but i feel when we are all discussing things on here, some people really are doing amazing things with SmartThings and id love to visually see these things in action. a lot of new users could benefit from this if they are having a creative block on what they can achieve. plus a lot of online content lacks visual elements to show the great stuff that can be done with smartthings, it would be nice to have a source for visuals of this stuff, even if it is just this thread.
So i thought it would be fun to setup a topic where people can share photographs and videos of therir home hacks and installs and things they are proud of achieving with SmartThings as the main Source of genius.
Examples may include and not be limited …
And a couple of other catchall threads:
Routines seam to be one of the SmartThings features a lot of users have difficulty understanding and using. So i wanted to create a thread of actual working examples of Routines. Extra kudos for unique or interesting setups… That actually work
I’ll start it off with the 4 Routines i use to ensure my home switches from Home to Night mode based off sunrise/sunset
My Day/Night Mode Routine Quartet:
Morning: Changes the mode to “Home”, Automatically preform at sunrise, Don’t do this automatically if in “Away” mode.
Morning Too: Changes the mode to “Home”, Automatically preform at sunrise +5 mins, Don’t do this automatically if in “Away” or “Home” mode, send me a notice that Morning did not run.
Night: Changes the mode to “Night”, Automatically preform at sunset, Don’t do this aut…
.
Damn that current deals thread!!
I have suddenly realized I have more “things” than I know what to do with or connect in my house. I am scratching at things like putting a smartthings outlet on my chest freezer because the GFI occasionally pops…but then it occurs to me that it won’t report off before it dies…so yes, I am really trying to find something unique to do.
I even have the bar beer light, popcorn maker and bar light strip on an Aeon smart strip (got when half price at Staples! work GREAT!) …so definitely reaching overkill.
Whats some crazy or fun/unique things you’ve done with your devices at home?
.
Hi everybody!
Well, overall my system is runnng at about 99.9% stable and reliable (that number is agreed upon by the wife, so it’s real).
Other than about 18 switches to change I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do next. (No door locks allowed - WAF is 0% on those).
I’m staying away from the security side of ST as well.
So now I’m looking for some ideas from y’all!
Hook me up and let’s see what I can make happen!
.
Trying to convince the wife to allow me to buy more Things but she sees everything as a novelty and not really that useful. I’m looking for ideas on what you guys do that make your house “better” than a stand dumb house. I know this is very subjective but in general, turning on the lights for you instead of hitting a switch is more a convenience and probably doesn’t improve your quality of life all that much. :
Something my wife would find practical, looking for others.
Auto turning on the fan in the bathroom for a shower since that’s something you can forget and has an affect on the house.
Automating the blinds to get sunlight in would be nice
Alerting us when the plants need watering so they don’t die
Telling us a door has opened when neither of us our home.
Auto close the skyl…
.
So, guys what are you planning to do in ST land with Halloween approaching? I have tons of ideas. What’s yours? I will start as soon as I am back on feet (malfunctioning right now). Please keep it lighthearted with no criticism and negative vibes.
May be @ben and @april can come up with some way for community to share?
.
Hi!
I am moving to a new home in about a month, I have cerebral palsy and need help with most tasks. The only things that work are my brain and my toes, which I use to type. Human assistance is expensive and unreliable, so I am looking a ways to reduce my dependence on others. I have a Ph.D. with an emphasis in assistive technology. I understand technology, but I am not a programmer.
I bought a WINK and two GE Smart Bulbs, but I think ST may be a better way to go.
So far, I know I will have:
2 Schlaege smart door locks
Liftmaster garage door opener with MyQ
a thermostat I can control via iPad or iPhone 6 plus
I am looking forward to getting ideas here. I’m also curious as to how others might be using ST with people with disabilities or elderly people.
Thanks!
.
Continuing the discussion from IFTTT and SmartThings :
Here you go!
Use this thread for a brief description of how you use IFTTT with SmartThings, then link to a specific topic thread to discuss it in more detail.
To start, here is the original blog announcement of the IFTTT SmartThings channel. (Unfortunately the ultimate guide tutorial linked to from that announcement is no longer available. I’ve added a fresher link right after this. )
http://blog.smartthings.com/how-to/ultimate-ifttt-guide/
And for those new to IFTTT, here is a good 2015 tutorial article on how to use IFTTT, including the DO widget:
Also, check out the project reports in the community – created wiki, in particular the “get started” list and the “impress your friends” list. Some very cool stuff there.
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions
.