Linear Z-wave Siren device type needed

Yes, I copied the code posted just above this. On/off button work ( that’s how I tested the different modes ) there was a delay. When I selected strobe, the strobe flashed about 6 times , then the siren kicked in. In siren mode,the siren started sounding a couple seconds before the strobe activated. In alarm mode both siren and strobe start simultaneously.
Yes I’m using the battery powered one from the HD GoControl kit.

Interesting. So when you change the mode, the siren goes off automatically? I’m not sure how that would happen. When I change modes, the siren LED just blinks once to acknowledge the change and stays quiet. It doesn’t activate unless the “on” button is pushed, or Smart Home Monitor is armed and an intrusion alert is triggered.

What does LIve Logging show logging when it turns on?

No not automatically.
I meant after I switch modes and then hit the on button. So if I select strobe, then trigger it, the strobe will flash for a few seconds, before the siren will sound. If I select siren and click on, the siren will sound for a few second before the strobe flashes. If I select alarm they both start simultaneously when I pressed on .

However, whatever it was fixed itself overnight. I just put it through its paces to get you the logs and everything worked perfectly. Now to figure out how to select the separate states for individual devices.

Interesting (before and after).

“separate states for individual devices”…are you still talking about the siren, or something else?

Still talking about siren. I haven’t played with it, but would like to set it something like strobe only if freezer door left open, but have siren go off for freeze or moisture under sink warning. From what I see you can set device only to do the same for every alert. But as I said I haven’t really dug around yet, maybe that changed overnight too :wink:

Yeah, you’d need access to the app to send different config commands to the siren, and then trigger it. Or create/modify an existing app.

Just buy another kit with another siren. Use one for simple alerts like freezer open and one for urgent alarms like leaking sink or freezing basement . :smile:

Yup, that too. I actually bought two GoControl kits because I needed 6 open/close sensors to wire into my old alarm system wiring (the GoControl 5 piece kit has 3, plus 1 motion ,and 1 siren. The motion and door sensors are Ecolink brand, and the siren is Linear). Since I needed a siren, it was the best deal…plus I have an extra siren.

Me too, still have the extra siren, hadn’t decided what to do with it yet. Well looks like I now have a use. Set one on strobe only for the minor things and leave the other on alarm for the major, need my attention now things.

Is this the best version. I just got the gocontrol kit too. Got a zwave switch for the siren.

Just to follow up here, when you write a device type, you should be including all parts of the capabilities into the device. In this case we spec out “alarm” to include the both command. So, this should be included in any device type that has the alarm capability. This way a smart app developer does not need to worry if you did or did not include the full spec of the capability.

Makes sense Tim. The current device type I wrote does still have “both” in it. The Linear siren works differently than other sirens on the market, which accept commands like “both”, “siren”, “strobe”, whereas Linear expects the alarm state to be set via the configuration command, and then the Linear siren just behaves like a switch (off or on).

Yeah, just wanted to clarify why we send “both” and not “on”. In this case you would just write the device type to do the expected action in on it doesn’t really support. Since the linear siren behaves as on off, you would just setup the both command to do the on/off action.

Another scenario for instance would be a media player. Let’s say you had a device that didn’t have a “pause” function but had a “stop” function. Because pause is part of the spec for music player You would just write in a pause function that would send the stop command because that makes the most sense.

Yup…exactly what I did!

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the great code. Has been working well for me.

Wondering if you could help me with an alarm implementation scenario:

User comes into an armed (alarm) situation (unknowingly). Would like to get Linear device to strobe for 20 seconds, and then if alarm is not de-activated, the siren then rings.

Of the three states currently programmed (Strobe, Alarm, Siren), it would seem to me that “Alarm” should be programmed to be first strobe (20 seconds) then Siren for remainder. This gives the user notice they have walked into an alarmed situation and can fiddle with their phone, tablet, etc to disarm.

Any suggestion on how I could program this?

Thank you for all your work on this Kevin…Everything is working great for me except the battery status. It just shows a - in that tile. Is is supposed to show a percent or only when batteries are low.

Thanks

Hi Marc: I’m sure this is possible. It would require a timer function within the device type, that would then trigger a config state change (from strobe to siren)…and then another config state change back to strobe once the siren was turned off (so it was reset for the next time). Otherwise, these config commands would need to be sent from Smartalarm/SmartHomeMonitor apps…but those apps don’t do that. They only send “alarm”, “strobe”, or “both” commands (which the Linear siren doesn’t understand…thus the need for the custom device type code Kevin and I created).

Hi Tim…the battery status should show a percent. Give it a day or two…sometimes it takes a while to register. Same thing happened on my Kwikset code locks.

Hey Mike. Thanks for this device type. I’m using version 3 as posted, but I can’t seem to change the auto stop time. No matter what it is set to, it goes off for 30 seconds. Same happens with SHM. That is set for 5 minutes, only goes off for 30 seconds. Any thing I’m missing? I’ve tried the tamper switch before sending the change with no luck.

Did you happened to get an answer to your request? I would like to use this as well, thanks.

Hi Joe,

Yes got an answer on the thread but no fix.