Leviton DDL06 with Companion/Remote in a 3-Way - not working please help

Hello,

New here but I have read through some of the posts and so far liking the community. I have a conundrum and I am hoping someone can be of assistance.

I will start off the the wiring:

Main Box:

Two cable groupings:

#1:
a. Neutral
b. Black (Hot)
c. Ground

#2:
a. Red
b. Black
c. Neutral
d. ground

Second Box:

Two cable groupings:

a. Black
b. Neutral
c. Ground

a. Black
b. red
c. ground
d. Neutral

Now my switches:

Master: DDL06
Companion: DD00R

The light fixture is: https://www.lowes.ca/chandeliers/worldwide-lighting-w83112c20-medusa-20-in-chandelier_g1437906.html

Now I wire the DDLO6 in the Main box using the following wires:

1. Neutrals (white wires) twisted together from Group 1 & 2
  2. Wire the Black wire from group 1 (tester indicates it is hot) to the red/ pinky lead on the DDL06
  3. Connect the red wire in group 2 (calling this traveler 1) to the Black screw on the DDL06
  4. connect the black wire from group 2 to the YLW/RD screw on the DDL06
  5. Grounds are attached and connected to the box

Indicator lights are on when power is restored

Now I proceed to wire the DD00R companion into the second box:

1. Neutrals from group 1 & group 2 are twisted together meretted (sp?) to a small piece of white neutral wire is attached to the WH screw on the DD00R
  2. The red wire (calling this Traveler 1) from group #2 and the black wire from group #1 are meretted together with a small piece of black wire and are connected to the BK terminal on the DD00R
  3. the black wire (calling this traveler 2) from group 2 is connected to the YLW/RD terminal on the DD00R
  4. Grounds are attached and connected to the box and the switch

Indicator lights do NOT turn on when power is restored. Light fixture from either switch will not turn on. When I look at the Leviton site it states that the DDL06 supports halogen lights. Any ideas how I might get these working?

thanks in advance!

Rich

Wiring can always be tricky. :disappointed_relieved: Since you can’t get them to work from pressing the switch on the wall, I would suggest you get in touch with Leviton support. It doesn’t really sound like a smartthings question at this point.

There should be a contact phone number for Leviton in the user guide that came with the switch.

Hello,

As it turns out I had to call Leviton and I got my answer. Apparently the instructions provided in the box were incorrect and are in the process of being redone
I have attached my wiring diagram so I can provide details to others who may have the same problem as I did.

Per Leviton Support (confirmed working for me)

Box 2- DD00R (remote switch)
Wiring:

1. Neutrals (#7 & #2) to be twisted together and a wire to be connected to the WH screw of the DD00R switch
  2. The Hot wire (#5) & Traveler 1 (#1) to be terminated to the BK terminal on the DD00R switch
  3. Traveler 2 (#4) to be terminated to the YL/RD terminal on the DD00R switch
  4. Grounds (#3 & #6) connected to the proper screws on the box and a ground wire needs to be connected to the green screw on the DD00R siwtch

Box 1- DDL06 (Master Switch)

1. Neutrals (#9 & #2) to be twisted and meretted (SP?) together in the box.
  2. Traveler 1 (#1) to be terminated to the BK screw on the DDL06 switch
  3. Traveler 2 (#4) to be terminated to the YL/RD screw on the DDL06 switch (this is the ‘communicator’ wire)
  4. The Black to Fixture wire (#8) to be terminated to the RD screw on the DDL06 switch
  5. Grounds (#10 & #3) to be terminated in the wall box properly in the right screws and a separate ground wire to be run to the green screw on the DDL06

Hope this helps someone else.

Rich

1 Like

p.s. wire nut or thimble connectors are also called Marrette connectors after the original inventor. :wink:

Officially the name belongs to the Thomas & Betts company, but it’s like Kleenex-- A lot of people use the name “marrette” for any brand of thimble connector.

IMG_5231

http://tnb.ca/en/brands/marrette/

But I think the term is more common in Canada. In the US, I most often see people say “wire nut” and “nutted together.”

The thimble style is not used in the UK anymore after some bad experiences with early ceramic styles about 50 years ago and a general aversion to cutting wires.