Launched Kick Starter for a WiFi Remote for SmartThings

@njschwartz I was in the same boat that you are currently in. I want to have a way to control my TV in every room not just my living room. But at their price point it was ridiculous. I was not going to pay more for this feature then I did for my Alexa. If I may ask what do you find disappointing with their current solution?

1 Like

Well as you mention, the price point is perhaps the biggest issue. It’s expensive for one room let alone 3 or 4. The arbitrary limits on devices and activities is frustrating. The glitchy nature of the integration with smartthings and alexa is also frustrating. Finally, the app is beyond slow and setting up or changing activities is a painful process. The bottom line is for what I am paying for a remote control it just isn’t a very smooth or user friendly system in my opinion.

Now that people have mentioned more of their issues with the Logitech product, my roommate reminded me we have whatever the version that came out and first had an iPhone / iPad app. We spent a lot of money on that thing and had no end of troubles getting it to do TV inputs correctly or control the set top box (Motorola DCT3200?? From Charter at the time).

That was before most devices have now went to network based such as the TiVo and AppleTV have network remote control protocol.

I can see your device as having one major advantage over the Logitech solution. You are not trying to sell a remote. You are not limited by the hardware of that remote.

I can see an app developer wanting to reach out and use your box as the emitter for a very customizable universal remote app.

Will this support Roku devices?

1. So is that end up being 120 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal?
    a. Those are the bedroom setups, we just make them mobile so if we are having a gaming party (Call of Duty, WoW) we can sit in the same room. The point of having device on the cart would be to execute config macros (HDMI3, sound bar to TV, Xbox One on).
    b. The room we gather in is your normal sized living room (about 20 x 15).
  2. The big players (Crestron, AMX) and some of the other network to IR devices do this. I can’t remember them right now as they were bad in other design setup. It would be an idea for a “pro” box down the road along with Ethernet.

@Jack_Garcia @sdjernes… I am male, not female…"Mitchell:, not “Michell:” … I would suggest you check and search the j64Harmony article in this forum, then you will understand How is whole coding going , and what is my problem, It is nothing related to current project that Jack initial right now, but I think just let team know there are some solution existing…

@mitchell_lu66 to try and narrow this down can you use your phones camera on your emitter and see how many times it flashes. This will be able to determine if the software is to blame.

@njschwartz I was in a hurry yesterday so I didnt get to your quetion. Here you go:
1.) there are 2 main diffference which are price and placement posibilities. Our goal to be become and out of sight out of mind gadget. Unlike logitechs goal to become a center piece for your setup. Also no offence taken I think comparing products is the best way to bring out the best in products.
2.) there are a few sonos and roku products we support. If they have IR support then we definitely support. This is of course unless they are a weird frequency just like some products from Asian countries.
3.) We have activities in place for the most popular options like, but we will also have customs ones that can be used in any way the user sees fit.
4.) our goal is not to replace a remote for small things. It is to give you the access to use when it is not convenient or when you just want to be cool and tell alexa to do things. Just like when getting activities working.

@njschwartz thanks for the feedback. We currently have not been seen a glitch link with SmartThings. This is the case with our alpha testing phase as well so major issues were reported. As for our app we will have one but it will not be the primary focus of our project we will rely more heavily on our website for users. We want to give existing app access to our API so that they can build their own and just have us as a back-end gadget.

My main use for this will be to add the ability to crank up the fan speed on all my air filter when I leave for work in the morning. sign me up for early early beta testing :slight_smile:

@sdjernes thanks for the feedback. Yes our goal is to take advantage of existing apps that have been accepted by the community. As for the TV inputs we did see that some TVs required an additional timeout to get the inputs working correctly. We will have a feature to add small delays to not incur that issue. As for app developers we will have an API that will enable anyone to configure their Remotsy as they please.

@celblazer yes we support several Roku that work with IR support.

So if I get the beta version, will it be upgradable to the final version? Or at least have the same capabilities once we get to April? I am a little confused about that. Please provide more details.

Also, what do you expect the final retail price to be after the kickstart ends?

@sdjernes Answers below:
1.) The emitters aren’t straight we are aiming for 150 degree range with enough strength of signal to bounce off walls.
1a.) So jealous you must have a lot of fun with these parties, and yes that will work.
1b.) If you have 2 setups in that same room they may reach the other cart depending on the placement in that room.
2.) Great idea we have been playing with the idea an enterprise version for large scale projects (ex. sports bars). It would have control over each LED in order to aim the direction of the signal. But this is something for the future not our initial release.

@mitchell_lu66 my apologies for the confusion on my part.

@cuboy29 excellent choice of usage especially during allergy season.

@Bruce_R great question I guess we should be more clear on that. The beta version will continue to receive auto updates for issues and features that continue to be supported by the hardware. If the hardware has a major significantly which we don’t see happening from the beta to the release version it may not be sent to the beta version. The beta version is more for people who want to help us build what the release version of Remotsy and its interface should be. Also for those who can’t wait :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hi @Jack_Garcia,

Can you just summarize it for me?

1. Google Home integration? Yes/No

2. Will your product be able to take my commend via voice from GH to turn on my LG HD TV and switch it to HDMI1 input for ChromeCast or HDMI3 input for Android TV PAD, etc.,?

3. Will it than be able to control the volume on my LG HD TV while it is on?

4. Is it Wi-Fi connected or NIC port built in?

5. Battery or AC powered? Or Battery BackUp?

Google Home has not yet released their API, it’s supposed to come out in December. Because of that, third-party developers can’t really say yet whether their systems will work with google home. We’ll know a lot more once the API is out.

Of course if there’s an IFTTT channel, you could get Google home integration that way. But it would probably add some additional lag.