Keypad arm/disarm?

I want to be able to arm and disarm my system in two ways. First, the normal way from my smart phone. Second from a keypad (not attached to a lock) just inside an entry door. I have used such keypads with at multiple businesses I have owned or worked at. They can be set up to give a X-second delay before sending an alert, and can give you X-seconds to vacate the building when arming to leave. Is there a way to do this?

1. Search the Forum :mag: for “IRIS Keypad”. It is inexpensive and will interface with the Arm/Disarm functions of SmartThings Smart Home Monitor and more.

2. Consider ActionTiles… The web browser based dashboard panel builder for SmartThings. It offers a PIN Protected SHM control Tile and much more.

Note that both solutions above do not solve the problem of not exit & entry grace delays, but there are SmartApps (etc.) you can add when you get to that point. :mag: Search this Forum, please!

2 Likes

This is exactly how my system functions: exit/entry delays, multiple pins, burnable pins, “followed**” motion sensors and more.

Arm/disarm is as follows:

1. Via a keypad (my preferred method)
  2. Using the Dashboard to set the SmartHome Monitor (my secondary method)
  3. Setting SmartHome mode by tapping on a Routine in Automations.( I rarely use this, others prefer it)

Selecting a Keypad
Available Smartapps and device handlers generally support the Iris Generation 2 keypad, available at Lowe’s in the US and manufactured by Centralite, and the Centralite 3400, which is also rebadged as an Xfinity keypad.

They both work well, but there is a differance in the form factor, the Iris has a Panic key and Off key, the Centralite/Xfinity has a third arming mode they call “Stay”, in additon to “Night”, and “Away” icons, but no “Off” or “Panic” keys. The Iris “On” key equates to ST Away mode, and the “Partial” key equates to ST Night mode.

When using the Centralite/Xfinity and the community Smartapps you can acheive the following:
Night - Instant alarm when door opens, motion sensors generally not monitored by SmartHome
Stay - Entry Delay when door opens, motion sensors generally not monitored by SmartHome
Away - Entry Delay when door opens, motion sensors monitored by SmartHome

When using the Iris and the community Smartapps you can acheive the following modes:
Night - may one time select Instant alarm or entry delay when door opens, motion sensors generally not monitored
Away - Entry Delay when door opens, motion sensors generally monitored by SmartHome

Selecting your Smartapps and Device handler
There is a plethora of information on this community forum about using a keypad, some of it is conflicting and confusing, but most everything was built upon the efforts of a few people who wrote the basic applications and device handlers a few years ago. The SmartApps I suggest using are:

@ethayer Lock Manager (Allows for multiple keypads, multiple users each with a unique pin, including date and time sensitive pins, one time use pins, and an Exit Delay)
@arnb SHM Delay (Adds Exit and Entry Delays to Smarthome, supports multiple doors (contact sensors), optional multiple keypads, optional siren beep tones, followed motion sensor on Entry Delay, (must use another app for motion on Exit delay) and more.)
The Keypad Device Handler I use and suggest is found at miriad (Zack Cornelius) · GitHub by Mitch Pond, Zack Cornelius

Definition: **Followed Motion Sensor. When monitored by SmartHome a motion sensor when tripped creates an instant alarm. However, a “followed” motion sensor does not create an alarm when it is tripped during an Entry/Exit Delay time period

I hope this helps with your decision. Feel free to post additional questions or help requests.

7 Likes

Good question, and one for which we have an FAQ. :sunglasses: This should answer all your questions and covers several different options. ( this is a clickable link)

1 Like

Hello- I read your post and purchased the Iris keypad based on the photo you posted. I bought the exact one that’s in your linked photo- the original white box with the Iris logo in the upper left and the light up keypad to the right. However, I can’t seem to get it to pair with my SmartThings hub after installing the device handler. SmartThings just doesn’t find it. I did some more research and it seems that maybe this first generation keypad isn’t compatible. Is that the case and I’m just out $30? Or, is there a way to get this keypad connected? Again, I bought the exact one in the photo you posted here. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Jim

I use a Centralite/Xfinity keypad. When I wrote that post I had no idea there was such a thing as an Iris Gen1 and an Iris Gen2. Also, there may now be an Iris Gen 3. Long after writing and forgetting about this post I read someplace on this forum that the Gen1 does not work with Smartthings, and so far I don’t know if anyone has used a Gen 3.

I apologize for the error pointing to the Gen 1 keypad. In an attempt to prevent further mishaps, the original posts’ text was changed and the link to the Gen1 image was removed

PS the post also points to Version 1 of SHM Delay that is now replaced with Version 2 and no longer uses the Lock Managerr.

Hello- have everything set up but currently not using the system because of all the motion sensor triggers during entry and exit delay. I followed all of the instructions and am usually good at these types of things, but no luck so far. I just installed the True Exit app, but while it’s published, I’m not yet seeing it in my ST app to change the settings and get it going. I’ll keep working on that.

In the meantime, I have a question about the capabilities of the SHM Delay app. I want to arm all of the downstairs motion sensors when the family goes to sleep at night. However, if someone were to walk downstairs, I would want the keypad downstairs to beep for 30 seconds, giving someone enough time to walk over to the keypad and disarm, much like a “real” alarm system. But, (ISSUE #1) when I arm the system from my phone using the ST app, the keypad doesn’t beep during the exit delay. That only happens when I arm from the keypad.

And, (ISSUE #2) the keypad doesn’t beep when a motion sensor is triggered if I’ve armed it from my phone app.

Is it possible to accomplish these functions or would I need to get another keypad for upstairs and arm the system using only that?

1 Like

Issue 1: In the delay profile, you may specify the motion sensors your want ignored when the contact sensor opens. Should the motion sensor continue to trigger an alarm, there is an option to “delay” the motion sensor for a few seconds.

Issue2: “if someone walks downstairs” Not part of SHM Delay or ST SHM capabilities.
Issue 2: keypad does not beep when arming from phone app: Correct the keypad does not beep in this situation.
Issue 2: keypad does not beep when motion sensor is triggered: correct, this usually triggers an intrusion alert if not in entry delay status.

True Exit app should not be needed with keypad