Just a particular thermostat based on the presence of a particular user?

I currently have the thermostats set to change temperature based on time, raising them in the morning and dropping them in the evening. However I would also like to have certain thermostats drop their temperature during the day if particular users are not present. I haven’t been able to find how I would do this. Any ideas?

I am totally blown away by all that this hub does. I’m coming from smart homes Insteon hub which is brain-dead and handicapped in comparison. Though I wish more of the smartthings hubs smart apps had more settings for making logical decisions.

You should be able to easily do this using CoRE, or Rule Machine (deprecated) if you have it installed already.

Otherwise, you can test a normal Routine, which will allow you to change temperature restricted to mode if a Presence arrives or leaves. I do not know if “arrives” actually pertains to a Presence that’s already present or not though. Since it’s technically not a state change, I’d assume not.

Robin

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

Greg

Welcome to smarthings. Were you can’t do the obvious such as simple bolean logic.

I too was surprised when I couldn’t find this obvious and simple functionality wasn’t baked in.

Yes, it is surprising that Samsung hasn’t incorporated more logical options into smartthings since they’ve done a great job of everything else. Using CoRE is not a simple thing. I wish someone would make it a smart app and Samsung add it to the apps available for installation via the smartthings app.

Just wanted to chip in and say that there are many very talented programmers at ST and I would not consider myself any better than them. I was simply challenged by @JDRoberts and stubborn enough to want to prove him wrong (semi-failure though?). And he didn’t really challenge me, I felt challenged LOL.

ST wants to publish CoRE but I am the one holding off at this time as I am in the process of rewriting CoRE to use a web UI for much faster tinkering and much smaller code base.

And ST HAS incorporated pieces of CoRE into their own libraries to alleviate said breaking of CoRE during updates. CoRE has reached maximum code size and each update from ST puts it over the edge (hence the breaking). It is a pain for ST to ensure they don’t break CoRE and they go through it. ST is a whole lot better than many other companies I ever dealt with. They are awesome behind the scene. And they never show it. This is the untold ST story :wink:

3 Likes

I think it’s all being abondoned, for what, if anything, I do the know.

If you can create a routine to increase temp to 72, you can create one to
do it when presence sensor X or Y or Z or closed

It’s the most basic programming. It’s doesn’t exist because I think k
Samsung will push out their TVs as hubs. I don’t know.

Tbis how I control my Tado Thermostat.
You could easily replace my Away with presence of a person/people.
Further up in this piston I have different temperatures for different times.

Robin, thanks for the reply. I agree with your points however regarding ST’s need to keep it simple for support issues - that’s a double edged sword. Keeping it too simple hobbles their device and makes it less attractive. There’s nothing more annoying than a product that teasingly almost does what you want but won’t let you ever do it. ST has done a beautiful job of making ST easy to use, but they need to have a way to let users drill down for more power when they want that. ST can implement complexity without creating a customer support nightmare by requiring apps to parse/sanitize inputs so that illogical inputs can’t be made (eg. end time must be after start time etc.).

1 Like