June 2019: August Pro Z-Wave commands fail if August app is not in use (previously worked fine)

Ok any tips on how to connect August Pro 3 & connect to Smartthings. Tried as per the instructions but the connect hub doesn’t get pick up.

In Australia.

August connect firmware is 2.2.1

Smartthings Hub
Firmware is 000.028.00012
Controller version 1.7.40-31

Thanks in Advance

The August WiFi connect bridge does not work with the current August integration with ST. Only the August Pro lock using z-wave can connect. August has announced that a new integration is on the way that will allow all August locks + Connect to work with ST. That integration is expected soon (perhaps January 2020).

Anyway, the is an unofficial 3rd party device handler that you have already posted in their thread that allows the August Connect to integrate with ST.

Had the same issue: “z-wave deep sleep” + battery draining.

Sent email explaining all I tried (new batteries, restart, removed from z-wave, etc.).

Sent link to this thread.

Recieved email, in hours explaining old firmware would be pushed (for some reason I forgot to write down old one) and got 1.8.15-1.59.0 (why is my firmware in inverted order than everyone else?)

Z-wave has been working for the last 15 minutes, but I’m not sure if it’s because I “woke it up” using wifi.

Will report in a day or so, once I test everything, since the email asks for 24 hours.

PS Unfortunately, low battery indicator is still there with even NEW batteries… Will have to wait for the 24 hours asked.

1 Like

I too am seeing erroneous old battery alerts

24 hours later: z-wave works as expected and no more battery draining.

Will update in weeks/days

PS just so you know, it really drained the batteries, it wasn’t just a misread of the battery voltage. I know this because I saved my old batteries that drained in 1 week. I first placed new batteries and no “low battery” alert. Placed old ones and got “low battery” alert immediately.

I just wanted to say thank you. I’ve been having this problem since June but hadn’t gotten around to researching the solution. Once I did, I found this forum I contacted August yesterday and the 1.59.0-1.8.15 firmware was updated today. I have no doubt it will solve my issue. Thanks for sharing the information!

Just opened my ticket requesting this firmware update.

I purchased the August Pro setup a few months ago for my new condo and the experience with Smartthings has been very frustrating.

Glad to know I’m not crazy and it wasn’t just me!!

How long has this issue been open? I have this issue also, but I have not asked for a downgrade of my firmware yet, I was hoping to wait it out until it was fixed. But it seems to be months and months.

Additionally, August has announced new hardware that has WIFI built-in with no need for August blue tooth/wifi bridge, so in the worst case they NEVER resolve this as they move to working on new hardware. That would be a disappointment.

Don’t forget that August is working on a new integration with ST that does not involve z-wave

I have the old and new integration working.

Does this mean that August is going to abandon fixing their zwave locks?

I was kind of wondering the same. I have more testing to do with the cloud integration when i’m back in town. But if it seems reliable and updates quick enough, i’ll probably abandon the z-wave integration and have August update me to the latest firmware. Having the contact sensor from the cloud integration is a nice addition.

And maybe more accurate battery readout. ZWave integration shows 100%. New integration shows 52%. I am assuming 52% is more accurate

Yes. The zwave battery reports have never been accurate in these. I reported the bug when it first came out and it has still not been addressed.

According to August support, the new integration does abandon z-wave, so it’s probably safe to assume they’re not going to fix the z-wave (or, at least, the fix is “use the cloud to cloud integration, instead”).

1 Like

I created an account to comment on this. I don’t personally use SmartThings, but I do have this August Pro lock that I wanted to use with Z-Wave. I experienced the same problem as discussed in this thread, and was able to have August push the alternative firmware to my lock which completely fixed the problem. So it seems that this is still an issue and that contacting August support can potentially help.

Also, I know that August has now switched to using the Bridge for the lock functionality. However, I just want to say that I hope users finding this thread still contact August to raise their concerns about not properly supporting Z-Wave. Having to rely on August’s servers for integration to lock and unlock my front door is NOT something us as consumers should support. Local control is important, and in my opinion, critical for security based products such as door locks.

I also contacted support to have them downgrade me. The only issue I noticed after downgrading is that my DoorSense no longer works. It worked fine with the latest firmware, but after downgrading, DoorSense calibration will no longer go through. I must say that Z-Wave side has been solid ever since downgrading though.

I failed to adequately search and find issues before ordering an August Pro 3rd gen, without a connect.

So of course I immediately had issues after install and found the thread.

I email support about a downgrade and a timetable for correction so I could make a decision on if I needed to return.

The original response was that they would downgrade me and “This is an issue that is currently being worked on, however, no estimated time for the solution is available.”

I requested the downgrade so that I could try it and asked if there are any concerns or functionality loss. The response I got this morning is that they are sending me a connect, free of charge.

It may very well be related to me being within the return window but I wanted to share this experience with the community who has helped me so much.

WOW, that’s quite the revelation.

What that tells me is “we can not or will not fix z-wave. Here, have a connect module. Now go away, we have a lot of z-wave logos to sticker over”

I’m ok with that; I have a module and cloud-cloud integration works better for me than z-wave ever did. I wonder, however, how many out there are like you and are going to have to get the connect module or be left behind.

I too had this problem with my August lock and SmartThings. They also offered me a free connect bridge. We’ll see how well it works.

Okay I wanted to update this thread. I’m using the Ring Alarm System and the August door lock disconnects from the z wave hub seemingly at random. So it is not just an isolated issue with SmartThings. I called and asked for the downgrade after several attempts and them assuring me its only with SmartThings they finally agreed to downgrade me. And sure enough after 2 days no issues. Keep in mind it would disconnect every few hours and definitely by morning. After the downgrade I haven’t had a single issue with z-wave and the August app no longer shows error when trying to open the z-wave settings. Previously the only fix I could get was pulling the battery from the lock then it would reconnect to the Ring Alarm system. So add Ring Alarm system as a known issue as well. Hope it helps someone.