June 2019: August Pro Z-Wave commands fail if August app is not in use (previously worked fine)

Strange. I just got told that they know it works, that they did it for others, but that they wont do it anymore while they look for a fix. I replied as you would expect with that kind of response.

From their email:
"Thank you for reaching back to us.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We are aware of the issue that you are reporting. We did process some requests and changed the firmware version for some of the users, however, our development team has stopped doing so. The reason is that we don’t know if this is a permanent fix. They are rather working on finding a general fix for all users."

1 Like

Well, that stinks. But at least they’ve acknowledged the issue.

This is why companies need to keep their public beta programs open even after product launch.

1 Like

They should really roll everyone back to the previous firmware until they figure it out. It’s already been a month or more that this has not been working. I think I was one of the last to get the previous firmware pushed and my lock now works consistently as it did before.

I saw this post and was able to get them to rollback my firmware anyway. It didn’t take anything more than the original support email I sent loosely based on the one outlined above.

I also noticed that my battery life was severally reduced with this latest update. I haven’t used my Smartlock except to manually turn the knob since this latest firmware was released. So about 3 - 4 weeks. I received the firmware when replacing my batteries. Typically my batteries last 3+ months based on my automation and usage. When rolling back my firmware this weekend the August Lock mobile app stated that my battery was below 25%.

In short for less usage and less time I spent more battery.

As for the rollback on the firmware. It works flawlessly since the rollback. I hope the can find the faulty code in the recent update that seem to cripple Z-Wave and fix it before trying to move forward.

Just to update: I expressed my displeasure with August support in an email response to their “we wont do that anymore” reply and got the old firmware immediately pushed to my locks. Just an FYI.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I contacted August and they push the firmware. Now is working with SmartThings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too - I followed up on my existing ticket and asked for the firmware rollback.

Before rollback I had version 1.59.0-1.13.2

After rollback I had version 1.59.0-1.8.15

With the latter version, after a ST hub reboot, all z-wave functionality is restored as expected.

They were most accommodating of my request, asked no questions and made the change for me within about an hour of my email. So it might be worth doing for others who have the same problem!

Having the same issue, reached out to August, and they are sending me a new lock with downgraded firmware. Seems a bit overkill but I’ll take a new lock for free!

I finally reached out to August support and they downgraded the firmware on my lock and it works as expected with ST now. Z-Wave now working perfectly.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.