June 2019: August Pro Z-Wave commands fail if August app is not in use (previously worked fine)

Strange. I just got told that they know it works, that they did it for others, but that they wont do it anymore while they look for a fix. I replied as you would expect with that kind of response.

From their email:
"Thank you for reaching back to us.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We are aware of the issue that you are reporting. We did process some requests and changed the firmware version for some of the users, however, our development team has stopped doing so. The reason is that we don’t know if this is a permanent fix. They are rather working on finding a general fix for all users."

1 Like

Well, that stinks. But at least they’ve acknowledged the issue.

This is why companies need to keep their public beta programs open even after product launch.

1 Like

They should really roll everyone back to the previous firmware until they figure it out. It’s already been a month or more that this has not been working. I think I was one of the last to get the previous firmware pushed and my lock now works consistently as it did before.

I saw this post and was able to get them to rollback my firmware anyway. It didn’t take anything more than the original support email I sent loosely based on the one outlined above.

I also noticed that my battery life was severally reduced with this latest update. I haven’t used my Smartlock except to manually turn the knob since this latest firmware was released. So about 3 - 4 weeks. I received the firmware when replacing my batteries. Typically my batteries last 3+ months based on my automation and usage. When rolling back my firmware this weekend the August Lock mobile app stated that my battery was below 25%.

In short for less usage and less time I spent more battery.

As for the rollback on the firmware. It works flawlessly since the rollback. I hope the can find the faulty code in the recent update that seem to cripple Z-Wave and fix it before trying to move forward.

Just to update: I expressed my displeasure with August support in an email response to their “we wont do that anymore” reply and got the old firmware immediately pushed to my locks. Just an FYI.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I contacted August and they push the firmware. Now is working with SmartThings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too - I followed up on my existing ticket and asked for the firmware rollback.

Before rollback I had version 1.59.0-1.13.2

After rollback I had version 1.59.0-1.8.15

With the latter version, after a ST hub reboot, all z-wave functionality is restored as expected.

They were most accommodating of my request, asked no questions and made the change for me within about an hour of my email. So it might be worth doing for others who have the same problem!

Having the same issue, reached out to August, and they are sending me a new lock with downgraded firmware. Seems a bit overkill but I’ll take a new lock for free!

I finally reached out to August support and they downgraded the firmware on my lock and it works as expected with ST now. Z-Wave now working perfectly.

Had the same issue with both locks I have. Was on 1.13.2 firmware. Called August Support and they downgraded both my locks to 1.8.15. Fingers crossed that the problem has gone away (I just downgraded, so didn’t have enough time tot test).

Was surprised I was able to resolve this (the downgrading) in a single phone call. I expected it would take many phone calls and/or emails to get this resolved, but happily it was quick and painless. I referenced this thread in my discussions with them, so they knew I did my research.

Had same issue had August roll back the firmware. Zwave works again! August support was great. They seemed to be aware of the problem and knew answer was to roll back.

Have been experiencing the same as well. More specifically since I took the update end of August beginning of September I noticed the following:

1. Smart things z-wave commands and automations stopped working with August lock Gen3. Any zwave command would be unresponsive and the lock would only respond to its own app.

2. Whats worst is that battery consumption increased significantly. It used to last 3 months before I took the firmware and ended up changing batteries in a month and a half.

I initially sent an email to august support. They replied that would investigate and let me know. Days passed by and head nothing. I then started researching on my own and landed on all these threads here about this specific problem. I replied back to August support this time including the links from the forums. This time around they were responsive and only after I presented evidence of the issue. Based on recommendation in this thread I requested for my firmware to be reverted. They promptly mentioned that the would trigger the firmware reversal. Shortly after I was able to initiate it from the app and the firmware got installed. however I noticed something weird the version reported from the app seems to be the same as current, namely 1.59.0-1.13.2. Are they pushing the old firmware with new versioning, I am confused?

Whats more interesting is that after I presented all these threads from the forum, I actually asked if there is a pending firmware release that would resolve the issue, since the last update was from May this year. Quite a lot of months if you ask me. The support engineer mentioned that there was no pending firmware release that he was aware. I find it pretty interesting that after such a long time no planned or official solution, rather one-offs in case you use zwave and realize the thing is broken.

there is a change coming…

but it will require an august connect bridge if you don’t have one

I can also confirm the intermittent z-wave issues are due to the current firmware, v1.59.0-1.13.2

My solution: I contacted August support and told them all the troubleshooting steps taken (i.e., changing the battery, factory resetting, etc.) and linked them to this thread, specifically citing that other people had success by downgrading. They immediately followed up (same day) and agreed to push the firmware to my device. Once I opened the August app, there was an “update” available, which was really a downgrade to v1.59.0-1.8.15.

Future readers: if you end up going down this route, I suggest not using the August app to avoid accidental updates. Personally, I will not be updating until August fixes the issue on their end.

So far, I’ve gone 3 consecutive days without any issues.

For reference, this was the response from August support:

Thanks for reaching out to us!

We appreciate all of the troubleshooting steps you have already performed. We would be more than happy to revert your firmware: 1.59.0-1.13.2 to the previous firmware version 1.59.0-1.8.15 to restore your Z-wave capabilities. When standing within Bluetooth range of your lock, the previous firmware version will be installed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

there is a direct integration coming in the next few months for all August Locks (yes - all locks) that does not require z-wave. It will require an August Connect though.

https://august.com/blogs/home/introducing-our-newest-integration-august-smartthings

PS -I borrowed this link from @Automated_House post in the New Brands thread :slight_smile:

I wonder if they will keep the zwave integration active on the pro? Hope so for local integration.

I would assume they would. Doubt it would be the officially supported method but who knows

I am not sure I was ever on the 1.59.0-1.13.2 version because my current version is 1.59.0-1.8.15, however I just recently started experiencing this issue. If a factory reset doesn’t help I guess I’ll be waiting it out for the non z-wave integration. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue with 1.59.0-1.8.15?

New August lock install and had the same issues. I requested the downgrade and they have pushed 1.8.11-1.59.0. (Is this better/worse/different than 1.8.15?). They also let me know that the firmware is essentially pinned. That it won’t ever upgrade in the future unless I request support to allow it.