Issues so far

Hi All,

I just sent the following to support.

Just picked up SmartThings in the UK yesterday and have encountered a number of issues so far:

• Attempting to uninstall an unwanted Smart Home Monitor results in an error. (I accidentally turned on ‘Smoke’ despite having no relevant devices)
  • Starting the ‘I’m back’ routine and therefore setting mode to home, doesn’t disarm the security monitor
  • Unable to add other users (I believe this has been addressed on the community already - hopefully a fix isn’t far out? Pretty key feature for new users)
  • Unable to connect with Harmony and other services (IFTT, SmartRules etc.) - looks like this is a server authentication issue - i.e it looks like it’s attempting to connect to US not EU. Is this a ST issue or with the SmartApp creators to change how this process is handled?
  • Smart Lighting works to turn a light on, but ‘turn off after motion stops’ is not working at all.
  • Using ‘sunrise’ and ‘sunset’ variables don’t seem to work? Could be using a different region sunrise/set times?
  • Can’t save Sonos Notify with Sound app when using a custom message (“Failed to save page: mainPage”)

If I didn’t see the potential of the system, or have the presence of mind to spend some time in the online community, I would most likely return it. More seems to be broken in v2 than works. At least in the UK.

If anyone has any ideas on the above, or has come across anything else please let me know!

Joe

We are facing the “I am back’” routine issues here in U.S. as well.

I had to specifically configure this in the “I’m back!” routine - i.e. set the “Set Smart Home Monitor to: Disarm”. It wasn’t automatically configured this way out of the box. I had to do the same for the “Goodbye!” routine (“Armed”), the “Good Night!” routine (“Armed stay”) and the “Good Morning!” routine (“Disarm”).

Have you done this?

It was working for me fine during the week, but I’ve had a lazy weekend at home so haven’t seen “Goodbye!” or “I’m back” in action the last couple of days, though “Good Night!” and “Good Morning!” have been functioning as expected, arming and disarming SHM.

This has been acknowledged as a problem with the new UK deployment which they are actively working on to fix.

Yes sir, that was the first thing I did on all the routines.

Goodbye - armed away
Goodnight- armed stay
I am back - disarm
Good morning - disarm

It’s always the I am back which gives me the trouble.

Glad I’m not the only one with issues…

Attempting to uninstall an unwanted Smart Home Monitor results in an error. (I accidentally turned on ‘Smoke’ despite having no relevant devices)

I think this may have actually caused SHM to disappear entirely from my dashboard which is frustrating. Waited long enough for it to show up only for it to disappear.

Unable to add other users (I believe this has been addressed on the community already - hopefully a fix isn’t far out? Pretty key feature for new users)

I found this odd that all bits are there to enter the info for adding users and then it tells you it’s not available yet. I wanted my wife to have her own user.

Unable to connect with Harmony and other services (IFTT, SmartRules etc.) - looks like this is a server authentication issue - i.e it looks like it’s attempting to connect to US not EU. Is this a ST issue or with the SmartApp creators to change how this process is handled?

Yep, it looks like it’s because being in the UK we’re in a different region of the cloud (West EU) and there is currently no appropriate redirection or integration. I tried to take a look at the API site and when logging in it takes me to the default API URL (https://graph.api.smartthings.com) at which doesn’t allow me to select any of my stuff but upon going to My Locations it’ll take me to the West EU region (https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com) and makes me log in again at which point I can see all my stuff.

I’m a software engineer and intended to start writing some of my own stuff to work with SmartThings (originally intended to make my own home automation system but then this came out and thought it had a lot of potential) and am concerned that things like this are going to make it frustrating to work with.

If I didn’t see the potential of the system, or have the presence of mind to spend some time in the online community, I would most likely return it. More seems to be broken in v2 than works. At least in the UK.

I feel the same way, I’ll stick with it for now in the hopes that they will sort the issues out but am a little disappointed so far for something that gives the impression that it works better than it does right now based on all the videos and stuff I read before deciding to buy it.

I’ve not been able to do a great deal more with the system yet and the Outlet I got in my starter kit is faulty so waiting for that to be replaced although haven’t got a clue when that’ll be yet.

It’s not good - it’s like they didn’t bother testing it and rushed it out for the Xmas market. These issues aren’t hard to find. The idea that they’ve implemented an option for adding another user, ask for the email and then only then tell you that the feature isn’t available right now is crazy - I’ve never anything like that before and it’s a very worrying sign. No doubt the product will be good when it is fixed but I hope they can get everything in order soon because it is looking increasingly like a return to the shop right now.

1 Like

Yeah, I was hooked on the premise that it would work with all my existing stuff e.g. wemo, netatmo, harmony remotes.

It wasn’t until I realised that I couldn’t easily set these up on my Android phone, and started digging the forums that I realised that a lot of this functionality seems to be missing or broken atm.

However, I did manage to get my WeMo’s working after taking a crash course in custom smartapps/device types but the official guide says I shouldn’t have to do this…

I agree, as others have said, I want it to work and work well. I’m even happy to help test report issues. I’m concerned that a lot of things just don’t seem to work or be ready in the UK version.

The first thing I tried to do was connect my Hue Hub (on launch day), only to find it didn’t work. On the plus side I did email support and they confirmed it was an issue and apparently got a fix in place the next day.

My current issue is that I cannot seem to sign in on a Windows Phone. I did the original setup on an Android device, but whenever I sign in on my Windows Phone it wants me to setup again and I can’t seem to exit the setup wizard and get back to my devices.

The potential is definitely there. I just find it crazy that a Samsung owned company has put out such a half baked product. The server stuff should have been flagged in testing and the basic functionality like extra users is just silly.

How did you go about organising a replacement outlet? My presence sensor is faulty.

iOS 2.0.2 ST app just showed up in AppStore. Let’s see what got fixed. @ben @April any release notes?

Still can’t add other users!

Update: None of my issues solved.

I just emailed support@smartthings.co.uk and explained the issue. They asked for photos demonstrating it not working but that’s easy for the outlet, not sure how you’d do it with a presence sensor.

They have since escalated my issue and looks like they’re pushing to get it replaced ASAP.

To update on other things… absolutely nothing has changed for me, still no SHM. I had a play around with the API yesterday and somehow ended up getting into a situation where I had to delete my motion sensor, multi sensor and my phone from the devices because they somehow started using the device handler type I’d made rather than the ones they were set up with initially and so only choice was to delete them and re-pair the sensors to the hub :confused:

I’m another one with a faulty power outlet, one works the other doesn’t reset at all, currently going through support to get it replaced.

I have an existing openHAB server that does most of this but I wanted a simpler way to do so as I would be adding multiple motion sensors and more power sockets and openHAB is a bit of a pain to setup and support. However at least I could make openHAB work with everything and now I’m regretting my purchase.

I was going to start using OpenHAB before I bought the smartthings hub.

I also thought it would’ve been easier to setup and use, still uncertain whether to jump ship or not atm.

The stuff that worked was way easier to add on SmartThings as every binding in openHAB is setup differently.

NEST was particularly painful as I had to sign up for a NEST dev account, then authorize my backend service with oauth via the java console. I also had the same problem as I did with SmartThings as my NEST outputs in C but both SmartThings and openHAB expected it in F and the difference prevented both from working till I edited the code. This is basic stuff that a UK test team should have picked up…

Rules vs. your own SmartApps is about the same, most of my rules are simple compound IF ELSE statements, e.g., IF (sunset -30) Then turn on lights all, else turn off., etc. So very quick to do as an openHAB rule once you have your groups sorted.

Were you using openhab v1? I was tempted to go straight to testing openhab v2 alpha but was hesitant of too many issues…

I’m running 1.7, not sure I’ll move till 2.0 until it becomes stable and offers me something I can’t do now that I actually want to do as 1.7 does everything I want or need at this point.

Most of what I do on openHAB is automation based on events triggered outside of openHAB or time based so I’m not that bothered by the UI. For example my living room has five hue bulbs, 2 lights controlled via wemo switches and an old LED colour bar system behind the TV that is controlled by the harmony via IR. I have all the hue bulbs tied to my Hue tap (its the puck shaped one) to turn on or off (hue tap app is awesome for actually making the tap worth having), but obviously this doesn’t trigger the other vendor lights. So I have a rule running on openHAB that checks the Hue hub to see if any of the lights turns on or off and then matches that with the other lights in the living room.

I’d like to build a binding between SmartThings and openHAB, both support a web api so it shouldn’t be that hard to push and pull data in both directions. I would like to carry on using their outlets as they are quite small compared to others and their motion sensors haven’t needed any tweaking for me. Using their hub for my future z-wave stuff would be great as well.

Hi @ma10. I too have Ben disappointed with the U.K. “Broken” launch but noticed you said you got your wemo’s working?.

I too have delved into smart apps but cannot get my wemo motion to work. I tried integrating the polster smart app to push a 30 min refresh to each wemo motion but they fall asleep after 1 hour and don’t work until I go back into the app and refresh manually.

If you have got these working, would you mind sharing your code?.

Thanks in advance.

i also have a broken socket and have been waiting almost 2 weeks and still haven’t heard back about getting it swapped. the idea that you have to send them a photo to prove that it’s faulty is ridiculous.

i would imagine that people expect to be able to walk into currys this festive period and purchase a samsung product like any other - one that is high quality and ‘just works’. i can’t see many typical samsung customers mucking about with device types and other such quirks.

if i could be bothered to return the whole thing to samsung i would.

Hello, have you tried the stuff suggested in the following post?