Introducing Advance ZigBee Arrival Sensor

Hi Everyone,

I want to share with the community about a project that I am working on. But, first, I want to make sure give credits to a couple members here who helped me tremendously. I want to thank @alwas for his relentless advocacy to make the arrival sensor available in ST. One of his effort is to introduce me to @Mariano_Colmenarejo who wrote the edge driver for the sensor. Without his effort, the following demo would not be possible.

As a background, I had a couple ST arrival sensor from back in the day. I used them in my car to track my car come and go. We got an additional car and need a new sensor. I found that they are discontinued and very hard to find a used one.

I thought it would be fun to make one myself. I started to make one with the same functionality with the original ST arrival sensor with the following improvement. I use a recharge-able battery which will be filled up during a drive. I also use a powerful Zigbee module with an external module.

I added motion sensor and vibration sensor to help securing my car while it is parked outside the house.

Here is a short demo how it work.

Here is one of the thing that I do with the sensor in automating my garage door. Warning: if you have amazon echo nearby, you may want to turn off the mic.

Here is how the sensor look like.

The edge driver is available from the Maestro himself, @Mariano_Colmenarejo. The edge driver will allow the driver to run local in your hub. It will make the sensor run fast. If you need to make modification or learn how to write Edge driver, @Mariano_Colmenarejo will share the code on his github. The detail should be coming soon. I am looking forward to this as well. In the meantime, here is his channel to install the driver.

I made a handful of boards. If you are interested on testing it out please feel free to PM me. There will be reasonable cost for the sensor because I have to recover the component cost. I am just a hobbyist.

Update: some screenshot
Update: Github repository for the arrival sensor edge driver
Update: In case your sensor only update some attributes partially, please take a note on this.
Update: STL files for 3D printed cases for the sensor
Update: I just want to make sure that I mentioned that the sensor is DIY kit with component is soldered. A case may be needed to complete and ensure a nice and safe use.
Update: Important update regarding battery protection issue.
Update: There is a question about liability of using this sensor from a member. Please use it as your own risk.

“Warning: The use of LIPO batteries may be dangerous. Proper precautions must be taken at all times. By using a LIPO battery, the user assumes all risks and liabilities associated with the use of these batteries, including the risk of fire or explosion. It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that the battery is properly installed and maintained. I cannot be held liable for any damage or injury caused by the use of a LIPO battery”

15 Likes

I’ll take 4 :slight_smile:

When are you going to pitch this idea or start mass producing these?! Too cool

I’m assuming this would work on any motorized vehicle that can power it. Any weather/environmental constraints?

I am just a Home Automation enthusiast. If/When I mass produce the sensor, it will typically be small quantity. There is a little bit revision that I plan to do on the board. I typically contract the assembly to PCB manufactures. I will run test assembly with very small quantity. I still have homework to do.

In the meantime, if you like to test one, please let me know. I would like to spread what I have today to get some sense how they perform in the wild. This is my goal today. I have gotten have small feed back. We are pretty happy with the result.

The vehicle will need to have 5V usb port or Cigarette lighter with USB converter.

It uses recharge-able LIPO battery. It should be safe between 0 to 60 degree Celsius environment. This should be fine as long as you do not place the sensor at your windshield. In addition, I personnaly would not drive my car if the temperature is higher than 60 degree Celsius. I would wait for it to cooldown.

Fantastic work. I would love to test one.

Here some screenshot for how the sensor look like in the SmartThings application.

Here is another one from @Alwas

2 Likes

Here is the repository for the arrival sensor edge driver from @Mariano_Colmenarejo

I’d like to test one.

I would like to test one please.

Where are you at with this. Looks great. I am interested in testing too.

I would like one to field test, if any still available.

I would be down for 2x as well if still an option. If so, let me know what you would need from me.

@damohabir, @alexcapone, @Michael_Torgerson, @shindog, @SergL

Than you for your interest on the arrival sensor. At the moment, I have one sensor each for you.

If you are interested, you will need the following items to complete the sensors.

1. LIPO battery like below. Please note, you can use any Lipo 1S battery with PH 2mm JST connector. Please make sure that you are getting capacity of 300mAH at minimum. You probably do not need bigger that 600mAH. LIPO battery sometime comes with battery protection. You do not need battery that has the board has battery protection. If you are not familiar with battery protection, typically smaller battery will not have protection. If you end up with battery that comes with protection, it is not the end of the world. It is just wasting energy because the protection will need current from the battery.
  1. Antenna such as. Please note at the moment I have a mix of sma and rp-sma connector on the 5 modules I have left. Please confirm with me before you are buying the antenna from amazon.

or

1. Optionally, you can fit a specific Microwave radar sensor below. The microwave radar will fit inside the case. However, it will not work as the aluminum will block the radar signal. You have to figure out how to mount it outside the case and route the connection to J3. I will give you a wiring diagram for it. There are similar looking module in Aliexpress. Please make sure you get the one with 68uA power consumption.

There is no soldering on your part. You do have to plug things to connector. If you are still interested in helping, the cost of the module is is $29 + $5 shipping to US address. This will help me recover the cost of the components needed to build the board. In the future, if there are reasonable demand for this sensor, I could probably package them with all the extra components (except with battery). I would consider making them at much higher volume to get better pricing.

I will need your shipping address. I will let you know my email for paypal. Obviously, you want to PM me. Please do not reply on this thread. I do also have other requests. A the moment, I have more requests than the 5 module that I have today. I have send response to those inquires and has not gotten back anything. I just want to make sure that I want to be fair. I will fulfil the request “first come, first serve” bases. I may run out of the module if I got a late response.

I will try to make more modules in the future. However, I do not have specific date when those future modules will be available.

2 Likes

I just want to update everyone that the project is still in progress. I am currently testing a batch of 10 to test the manufacturing process.

The new board will have temperature range to control charging process to make it safer to use in extreme temperature. There are some power consumption optimization during sleep time. There is also minor component substitution.

Here is the image sent to me from the manufacturer.

The most important changes is that I am not assembling them. I have the modules professionally assembled by a contract manufacturer.

I do not have the modules on hand yet. However, they are really close to done. Based on what we learn during this manufacturing test, we can make the module at larger quantity in the next batch.

I am asking for community support. Collectively, If get enough demand, I can produce the modules at larger quantity. This will make the module more affordable for all of us. I am looking for a way to get feedback on the demand for the next steps of this project. Please feel free to reach out if you have any feedback for me.

Thanks
Iman

4 Likes

Hello, @iharyadi

If it works as well as the prototype it will be perfect! :+1:

I have been testing it with a BL-5CB (800mA) battery from an old Nokia phone and it works very well.
It has been 3 weeks working only with battery and it was still in 4 vdc 100%

It charges quite quickly and without any heating.

I put everything, without motion sensor, in a 4 x 7 x 2 cm plastic box with a micro switch to disconnect the battery and leave it off if necessary.

3 Likes

@Mariano_Colmenarejo, Thank you for your feedback. I think the incoming V2 will be better than the V1. I am excited to get my hand on it to give it a test run.

1 Like

Very exciting! My prototype has been working great as well! No issues to report on V1 so V2 can only get better!

1 Like

Very cool! I haven’t figured out the housing for mine yet but certainly taking some inspiration from this!

2 Likes

Just to update everyone, the batch from the manufacturing test has arrived. I am in the process of testing them. I took pictures. Here they are.

Here is a picture with 3d printed boxed. I have a microwave radar inside which requires plastic case

Here is another one which uses an aluminum off the shelve box.

5 Likes

They look awesome! Awesome job so far. If you decide to make a small amount of these I’d also be interested. Ty!

Thank you. I actually plan to make the sensor in larger quantity soon. I will update you and everyone once I have more detail about that.

2 Likes