IKEA Trådfri

FYI. Ikea just joined the Zigbee Alliance. Good news as they seem to expand their Tradfri lineup even more.

3 Likes

Hi.
I do have an issue with setting the color temperature for FLOALT

I’ve just bought 2 IKEA FLOALT panels (30x30cm and 60x60cm)
The 60x60 is upon pairing discovered as “Generic Lightbulb” and allows setting color temp only >=2703K (instead of 2203K as on the smaller one)

The smaller panel (30x30) is discovered correctly (the name says “IKEA FLOALT…”) and UI allows correct color temp range
(although setting dimmer below 8% shuts the light off :slight_smile: )

They both seem to get the “correct” DH assigned though.
I’m a new guy to all those smartThings (started 3weeks ago - now at 30devices in a small house and growing). So forgive me some stupidity (if present).

… aaand I’m using the “new” Smartthings app (android) so the Edvald’s custom device handler doesn’t work there properly (shows temperature as 100K and UI freezes upon setting any value)

I’ve renamed the devices so I don’t run around with “Generic lightbulbs” but this picture is to show that both are running as ZZL White Color Temperature Bulb(s)

EDIT: Today I installed another 30x30 panel - no issues there as well

Hi. Just had the same issue today with FLOALT (constrained to >2700K). I solved it by creating a custom device handler here: https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices (you may need to go to your region’s dev site).

I’ve created a new device handler from template; selected ZLL protocol; introduced the info corresponding to my device (FLOATL). When it got me the ZLL template script code, I’ve changed the name to a custom FLOATL device handler and changed:

On the fingerprint section:

fingerprint profileId: “C05E”, inClusters: “0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008, 0300, 0B05, 1000”, outClusters: “0005, 0019, 0020, 1000”, manufacturer: “IKEA of Sweden”, model: “FLOALT panel WS 60x60”, deviceJoinName: “IKEA FLOALT Panel”, mnmn:“SmartThings”, vid: “generic-color-temperature-bulb-2200K-4000K

And below…

controlTile(“colorTempSliderControl”, “device.colorTemperature”, “slider”, width: 4, height: 2,inactiveLabel: false, range: “(2200…4000)”) {
state “colorTemperature”, action: “color temperature.setColorTemperature”
}

where it was 2700 before, published and it’s working fine now. This works only on the classic app. For some reason I’m also seeing 100k on the new app.

Can you post here a screenshot what you can see there?

Really struggling with this.

Have the Ikea white spectrum bulb, as Ikea is listed as a brand I go through that wizard when adding, comes up as a ‘Generic Color Temperature Light’ however the lowest colour you can set is 2700k in the app when the bulb can actually go to 2200k.

Smartthings staff suggest this should be fixed in the post below, but I’ve had a glance through the code and the type it sets as default still seems to have the slider set at 2700k minimum. I’m new to this still picking up the code but that is how it looks in the code (and acts in both apps)

Blockquote
controlTile(“colorTempSliderControl”, “device.colorTemperature”, “slider”, width: 4, height: 2, inactiveLabel: false, range: “(2700…6500)”) {
state “colorTemperature”, action: “color temperature.setColorTemperature”
}

Tried varying the device types between ‘ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb’, ‘ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb’ and ‘Hue White Ambiance Bulb’ which have all be suggested in various posts with no luck.

ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb
ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb
Same experience in old and new app but range from 2700k to 6500k.

‘Hue White Ambiance Bulb’
Doesn’t work

ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb - CUSTOM
ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb - CUSTOM
Copied the default, added it as a custom type with the only change being the slider range.
The old app reflects this change and works, the new app is still 2700k-6500k. Force close the new app and opening and trying to enter the device crashes the new app every time.

Sometimes the new app loads this if I delete the device and re-add then add the custom code, but the slider goes from 0-100k and times out with a newtwork error message after a while.

I’ve also

• Disconnected from ST, connected to Ikea hub to upgrade bulb firmware and back again. No change.
  • Tried a few custom device types in various posts, these seem to be from a while back when the bulbs were new to the market. These tend to time out in the app
  • Modified the custom code with fingerprint of the bulb I have, now autodetects and applies that device type when adding, but same niggles persist.

Am I missing something here, should it be this difficult?

Is there any way of making the Tradfri dimmable bulbs ‘forget’ the dimmer setting when turned off at the wall?

I have a number of 806 lm dimmable bulbs, which paired easily with by ST hub (v2, firmware 000.028.00012). However, whilst my Wemo bulbs can be restored to full brightness by flipping the wall switch off and on, the Tradfri ones do not. Some people will like this feature, but my wife does not; she wants all the bulbs to be capable of being turned on fully via the wall switch. I’m guessing that this is a hardware or firmware issue that most likely can’t be changed, but would welcome anyone’s thoughts.

Also, FWIW, I’m only using a ST hub - but would get a Tradfri one to update the firmware if that would solve the issue.

(EDIT: Apologies if I’ve missed it in the posts above somewhere. I have searched, but maybe not with the right terms).

@stephendy, can you post a screenshot from your IDE regarding the details of the device. I am curious what name and fingerprint it uses to join.
Otherwise the vid after the line defines the tiles in the new app, some other settings as it was mentioned above defines the tile’s range in the old app.
If you change a DH in the IDE the new app will most likely crash when you open the device. The solution for that is to add the modified code to a new DH and select the new DH at the device’s page.
Suddenly no solution has been exposed yet to be able to re-download the “driver”/“controller” in the new app. That is basically the reason why it is crashing with a changed DH.

@cdh1001, that is not a firmware issue it is a feature. Basically you can define in some zigbee parameters how the device would behave when the power has been cut. (Hue has exposed these settings for their bulbs as I can remember in their app.) These settings are not necessarily supported by all vendors, so they are not part of the generic DH (yet).
Usually there are a few options how a bulb would behave on power cut.

1. Return to last state.
  2. Power on with last settings.
  3. Power on with default settings.
  4. Power off.
  5. Return to on and turn off after a short period of time.

These are generic solutions for a power cut. Some might be more favorable for some users than others. When I mean power cut, a short period of time up to a few seconds.
A long power outage would might trigger different behaviours. You can try to turn off the bulb for 10-15 seconds and it might would come back with full brightness and default color.
Or it might behaves differently for multiple short outages, turn off and on 2 times would might reset to default color and brightness.

Anyhow, it is not really advised to turn the power on and off on these devices because it reduces their lifespan. You might want to think of an IKEA 5 button remote to control multiple bulbs to restore default if your wife likes them that way.

Thanks for the response, at work but this comes through as the below…

Data
application: 20
endpointId: 01
manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
model: TRADFRI bulb E27 WS opal 1000lm
zigbeeNodeType: ROUTER

Raw Description
01 0104 010C 01 09 0000 0003 0004 0005 0006 0008 0300 1000 FC7C 04 0005 0019 0020 1000

I added the fingerprint derived from the above into the custom handler from Edvald Eysteinsson ( GitHub - edvaldeysteinsson/IKEA-Tradfri: IKEA Trådfri device type handler for SmartThings ) and it then uses that DH when reconnecting and applies the DH, but the new app still doesn’t like it.

The screenshot is below - what I did was copy the ‘ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb’ DH from the smartthings github - tweaked just the slider range and added it to this device as ‘ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb EC’ which you can see applied to the device.

The old app responds okay, the new app either crashes but sometimes on a clean add or just by fiddling around and re-applying it seems I can get in. This gives the below 0-100k slider and times out when sliding it often.

Is there anything else I need to do?

App with custom DH

Device

Try this DH:

You can select it from the default list in the IDE. It should provide the right temperature range in the new app, but not in the Classic.

You can try this, as this one seems to be the default DH for your bulb.

@Broderickcarlin, why are the IKEA Tradfri White Spectrum bulbs are spread around in 3 different official DHs, if the “vid” defines the UI in the new app? Any other reason than the different slider in the classic app?
Otherwise the last commit for the zigbee white color temperature bulb DH 3 days old, and added just this specific fingerprint. It is weird for me that it hasn’t ended up in any of the zll DHs. Indeed the zigbee DH has lower firmware requirements.

Many thanks!

The three different DTHs are:

• ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb
  • ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb
  • ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb 5000K

Supporting different color temperature ranges in either the Classic app or the new app has always been a little bit tough. First consider classic - every device that uses that a given DTH has to use the same set of tiles. The color temperature tile defines the range which is 2700-6500 for the first two DTHs listed above. That was the correct range for the first white tunable bulbs we certified, but eventually we started certifying devices that had a range of 2700-5000. Since the Classic app was still the main app in use at the time we had to make a new DTH just due to that color range.

Now we’re focusing most of our energy on the new app which uses the UI Metadata (specified by the vid). We are now able to specify different UI Metadata for devices on a fingerprint by fingerprint basis. Thus we can have devices with different color temperature ranges sharing the same DTH and still have them render correctly in the new app because each fingerprint specifies a vid that defines the correct color temperature range.

There are fingerprints going to production next Tuesday for the following Ikea devices:

• TRADFRI bulb E27 WS clear 806lm
  • TRADFRI bulb E27 WS opal 1000lm
  • TRADFRI bulb E14 WS opal 600lm
  • TRADFRI bulb E26 WS opal 1000lm

Once those changes go to production any of those devices that are newly joined will have the correct color temperature range in the new app. However since they are all using the ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb DTH they will show a range of 2700-6500 in the Classic app. Unfortunately if you already have one of these devices joined it will not automatically start using the correct color temperature range in the new app. You will need to delete the device and rejoin it.

I’ll admit I didn’t fully read through this thread so I’m probably missing some questions/topics that were discussed so feel to (re)ask any questions about this and I’ll do my best to respond.

5 Likes

@tpmanley, my question was really about are you planning to bring these 3 DH under a single one in the near future as the Classic app moves away?

The other part was more about that these bulbs would fit better into the 5000 K DH as they seems to support the range 2200 to 4000 K only. But at the end it really doesn’t matter, as all the DHs for any IKEA WS bulbs has the vid: "generic-color-temperature-bulb-2200K-4000K"

@tpmanley Can you please add fingerprints for IKEA FLOALT panels? One is already added, but it’s missing the other two sizes.

The DTHs that start with “ZLL” are for Zigbee devices that use the Zigbee Light Link (ZLL) profile which means they do not report their status changes and instead need to be polled by the DTH or hub. The DTHs that start with “ZigBee” are for devices that use the Zigbee Home Automation (HA) profile and those devices to report their status changes so do not need to be polled by the DTH or hub. For that reason we will keep separate DTHs for HA vs ZLL. We could consolidate the ZLL devices into a single DTH but that’s actually kind of a time consuming process to do that on the backend so we may decide to just keep the separate DTHs.

Sure, I can add those fingerprints.

4 Likes

@tpmanley, I really appreciate your detailed answer!
I see now. It all makes sense. The only things what I am a bit surprised about, that why would IKEA change from ZLL to HA at this point?

UPDATE: Thank you very much again! I did some more research and found some details regarding HA and ZLL, what explains why some people had issues when tried to pair some TRADFRI Drivers (and maybe bulbs).

UPDATE 2: I’ve read a bit more and I think the change from ZLL to HA must be the transition to the Zigbee 3.0 firmware on the IKEA devices. Indeed, all my IKEA devices which has a firmware version starting with 2 has HA profileID, when all the ones starting with 1 has ZLL profileID. And some of your DH code already incorporates it by some comments,

fingerprint manufacturer: "IKEA of Sweden", model: "TRADFRI wireless dimmer", deviceJoinName: "IKEA TRÅDFRI Wireless dimmer" // 01 [0104 or C05E] 0810 02 06 0000 0001 0003 0009 0B05 1000 06 0003 0004 0006 0008 0019 1000

Further reference of the firmware version and Zigbee version changes of the IKEA devices:

https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes/releasenotes.html

@GSzabados Can you summarize or point to these issues?

@Geoffs

Zigbee HA vs. Zigbee LL

Some comments explains why some Tradfri Drivers are not working with Zigbee channel 24.

Update: I have just read your question again.

Thanks, will wait until Tuesday and see what happens when I reconnect them.

I’m still non the wiser how simply tweaking the DH slider config on something that works from a 2700 minimum to 2200 and changing nothing else just makes the app go crazy without any reason, at least in the things I can control/see.

Is there a way of controlling or modifying the vid/metadata behind it? The old documentation seems to bear a relation to what I see in the old app (https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/tiles-metadata.html) … the new documentation is pretty vague from my initial reading.

@stephendy, please see @jody.albritton’s reply from another topic.

Vid: What's available and what does it do?

1 Like

Just tried this now and the E27 and E14 work perfectly so far. Slider range reflects the bulb (2200-4000k) and reacts and responds fine without the previous issues.

Oddly enough I forgot to remove my custom device handler so it applied my tweaked DH by default when adding this again, although without changing my custom DH the slider worked as I expected it to without issue!

Have deleted the custom one now and re-added, picking up ‘ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb’

Just for my information on this and reading the posts above, this was all done in meta-data behind the scenes specified by the vid? The post linked to by @GSzabados Vid: What's available and what does it do? seems to suggest this wasn’t anything I could have tweaked, but could do in future as things progress?

Appreciate the the support on this one.

1 Like