IKEA TRADFRI bulb E27 opal 1000lm with Smartthings hub direct connect?

Hi!

I am currently unable to connect any of my eight IKEA Trådfri bulbs with Smartthing Hub (ST). I’ve got the IKEA remote which pairs with the bulbs just fine, and is discoverable by ST, but it’s the bulbs that I’m after. I have no IKEA Hub. I’ve tried with out-of-the-bux bulb (unpaired with remote), bulbs paired with the remote, etc. Distance can’t be an issue as I am able to put the bulbs physically next to the hub. One thing to note is that even though I have switched the bulbs on and off for 6 times, at varying speeds / frequencies, I never ever get any of the bulbs to flash as an indication that it has been reset.

Any help would be highly appreciated, even rewarded, since I got 8 bulbs and the Smartthings Hub, and now the whole hardware is just pointless if I can’t resolve the issue.

Many thanks in advance!

First, just so you know, those devices zigbee, not Z wave. Different protocol.

I would check with the people in the following thread (this is a clickable link). I think most of the people who have Tradfri working with SmartThings are there and they might have some suggestions.

There is a knack…

its on/off 6 times (but not that simple. There is even a rythm that you need to find for these buggers.

flick on for half a second, then off for second, repeat 6 times and finish on an on. Then it should pair.

Basically, they are absolute buggers to pair. The GU10s are easy.

1 Like

The rhythm thing is actually the KEY here. Just flicking the switch on/off for 6 times won’t cut it for these bulbs. It has to be timed perfectly.

The rhythm is about 26bpm. So get yourself a metronome and start finding what works. Here are my settings for the metronome. Screenshot_20190407-014133|281x500 Punch in the same settings and try to klick along the beat.

So I found out that if the bulb is paired with a remote or dimmer then the first success with the correct rhythm will disconnect the bulb from the previously connected device. This doesn’t mean it is in the pairing. You have to do it again and if your rhythm is correct then you will see that tiny little brief drop in brightness and at that point, your ST app will probably find something. If you have all the handlers in place, it will show up as an IKEA smart bulb. If not it will probably be a “Thing” which you’ll have to configure later.

I connected 5 bulbs this way and I found this method to be most reliable. Sometimes I had to do the sequence again a couple of times but usually, after 2-3 times I got my connection.

Now initially I had the lights on when starting the sequence and after the first time I turn them off every on and off has to be in rhythm including the first on after the first off. … Hope this makes sense.

@Mitokafander Your screenshot is not working anymore, 26bpm is crazy slow?

Yea. 26BPM does sound a bit off. However, I’m not a musician and for some reason 26 was the number I punched in. Maybe the metronome had some other settings that I didn’t configure correctly. That’s why I added the screenshot. But that’s old times now.

However google gave me a simple metronome and trying it out I can say from memorie that I think it was around 120bpm. A bit of experimentation is needed. Not sure if it’s the correct bpm that is needed or correct interval between the switch flicks.

Ok thnx for asnwering :slight_smile: I have tried hours now with different bpm´s :smiley: I think i will use my sonoff rf to click the lamp with script … Therefore it should be easy :slight_smile: