Ikea Styrbar Switch

Hello,

I’m looking for a way to integrate the ikea styrbar switch into smartthings.
So far it has only been recognized as a thing.
All other switches from ikea are recognized.
What can I do?

Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

Change the Device Handler in the IDE to the IKEA Button one.

You are the first one who asks about this switch, and it looks pretty new.
There is some chance that the previous DH will work with this new remote, if not then you need to wait for somebody who will make a new DH for it.

@Automated_House, have you seen this new remote?

@tpmanley, who is taking care of the IKEA device DHs since @BroderickCarlin has left?

1 Like

Someone pointed it out to me on Twitter the other day. Supposedly it takes AAA batteries which is nice. But I haven’t tried it myself.

I am tempted to order one. Yes, it runs on two AAA batteries, and has 4 button (press and hold) options. (Up/down/left/right).

It hasn’t got the middle on/off like the 5 button one, but up should be on, and down should be off, when pressed, and hold would do the dimming in the IKEA environment.

2 Likes

I wonder if this is replacing the 5 button remote? it also comes in white and it being bundled with bulbs like the 5 button remote was

I doubt that. It is more likely to match these stainless steel brushed kitchen wall panels.

And maybe to be placed like a normal switch. Like the Philips remote.

1 Like

Hi. I’m desperate. :slight_smile:

I now own the Ikea Styrbar in the stainless steel version.
It is recognized in principle only as “Thing”. Also in the 1st line of the Device-Edit-Screen of the IDE (this is called “Name” in German) it says only “Thing”.

When I change the DH-Type to “Ikea Button” and update, I only have “numbersOfButtons: 1” for this device. Accordingly, the remote does not work. None of the buttons causes an action and the battery status is displayed with “0%”.

So, I searched online for a custom DH for the Ikea “Remote Control 5 Button”, because it is the closest to the new Styrbar. What I found was exactly the same DH as the one natively stored in SmartThings for “Ikea Button”.
The code of this DH clearly talks about 5 different buttons. So why do I always get only one button displayed in the IDE?

Does anyone of you use the (round) “Remote Control 5 Button” from Ikea? I would like to know what is written in the field “Name” in the IDE. Possibly I have to write exactly the same into it.

By the way, if I change the DH-Type to “ZigBee Button”, I have at least 2 buttons that react to pushed. The other buttons do not react to anything. Held doesn’t work either, unfortunately.

I hope you can help me. I own 4 Styrbars now, that I can only use in an extremely limited way.

And PLEASE, if someone could change the “Remote Control 5 Button” DH to work with the Styrbar, this would be so awesome! In my naivety, I could bet that there would be very few changes to make. :slight_smile: How about you, @iquix ? You did a great job with the DH for the Ikea Shortcut Button and the Hue Dimmer Switch. Please create a DH for the Styrbar as well. I will be greatful forever. :slight_smile:

The Styrbar is the official new remote from Ikea that I’m sure thousands of people will be using soon. The “Remote Control 5 Button” will soon no longer be available for purchase. (In Germany, a notice already appears online.) So the DH for the Styrbar will be very popular. :slight_smile:

Many thanks in advance!

The DH defines what you see in the app by the Model recognised from the Device itself, without adding the Model to the DH and assigning 4 buttons to it, it will not work (neither will be recognised as a 5 button remote).

1 Like

Oh man… :worried:
I just did some research. Germany is probably the only country at the moment where you can buy the Styrbar individually. (Why? Further research revealed that Ikea makes the most sales in Germany. Learned something new again. :blush:)
In the United States, Great Britain, even Sweden as the home country of Ikea, there is only the white Styrbar in the set.
In e.g. South Korea, Australia, Japan or China, the Styrbar is not available at all.
That sucks.

Now I understand, why no developer has started to create a DH yet.

The remote is really pretty (especially compared to the, sorry, ugly 5 button remote), well made, and with “push” and “hold” 8 actions would be usable with it.

I hope so much that it will soon be available worldwide.

Dear @GSzabados, I know you’ve been toying with the idea of buying a Styrbar for a long time. I hope it won’t be much longer - and the DH will follow soon. :blush:

Would it help, if I could provide a developer with the info, that it displays in the IDE for the Styrbar? Or can you actually only create a DH, if you own the device itself?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just got one myself, was kind of an impulse buy. I liked the idea of the remote to cycle through colors: that is the default with the remote paired to the bulb it comes with:
-left/right cycles color, long press on left/righ resets to default white
-plus the usual up/down to turn on/off, long press to dim. Overall a nice remote.
Didn’t read this thread first.

Getting this raw description
01 0104 0820 01 06 0000 0001 0003 0020 1000 FC57 05 0003 0006 0008 0019 1000

It would be nice if there was a DH that can be easily modified that handles the color changes.
Anyone know of a DH that does that, cycling through predetermined colors?

played around a bit to see the raw output of actions, and I also noticed the raw description capabilities don’t include adjusting color (0300)

4 basic presses:

• up/on catchall: 0104 0006 01 01 0000 00 4BBE 01 00 0000 01 00
  • down/off catchall: 0104 0006 01 01 0000 00 4BBE 01 00 0000 00 00
  • left catchall: 0104 0005 01 01 0000 00 4BBE 01 01 117C 07 00 01010D00
  • right catchall: 0104 0005 01 01 0000 00 4BBE 01 01 117C 07 00 00010D00
    0006 is on/off
    0005 is sending scene commands?

IKEA remotes only do color adjustment when paired directly to IKEA bulbs. In some cases, I believe DeConz has managed to replicate it in some group binding, but it is not applicable to SmartThings.

SmartThings only interprets the press and hold messages as which button was pressed or held, and you can assign action to those through Automations.

yeah, I guess app or homeassistant.
I absolutely happy with smartthing being a box of radios and nothings else :wink:

Let me re-phrase my previous sentence.

But it is not applicable to SmartThings with the current groovy way as group bindings are not something what work out of the box with an easy to use interface. The new Edge feature might will bring it closer to the user, but that is still in the future for simple users.

SmartThings has a really robust Zigbee and Zwave solution. That is not a question, but some features are still missing what users would like to use.

Anyhow, the way how SmartThings interprets the button presses is the way how other systems does as well. The color change what you have mentioned is really an IKEA feature for direct light control. The same as seamless brightening and dimming.

1 Like

got a device handler done

2 Likes
1 Like

You can buy the White (£7.50) or Stainless Steel (£12) Styrbar in the UK seperately or with a bulb, now. It looks like this replaces the 2 button switch which now only seems to be available with a bulb or socket.

I have a problem where when i have added my device the smartthings ide says that its not connected to any hub. Because of this i am unable to use the device in webcore. Do anyone know how to fix this.

Thank you.