IFTTT: Access multiple Hubs/Locations under one ST Account?

Hi All,

So I added a ST Hub along with some presence sensors, multi sensor and motion. I was going to go through the SmartThings Channel on IFTTT and add the new devices into the ‘Authorized’ list, however it only seems that IFTTT can only work with a single hub/location at a time. If I ‘Deny’ my existing ‘Location’, I can select from either location on the drop-down menu. But if I have an existing location with ‘Approved’ devices, I cannot change the location in the drop-down menu to a different location. Can someone confirm this? This is sad if it’s true…

Thanks in advance.

I don’t have an answer to your question but a work around may be to create a second IFTTT account.

Hi mattjfrank,

Thanks for the response. I thought that would be the work around also but unfortunately it doesn’t work. I created a second IFTTT account and tried to activate the ‘SmartThings’ channel. When you re-use the same login for SmartThings at graph.api.smartthings.com to give IFTTT OAuth access, since the IFTTT side is presenting itself to ST as the same ‘Application’, I run into the same issue since my ST account is already linked to ITFFF. It shows my existing location and devices that I’ve already approved access with the inability to select my other hub/location.

The only work around I can think of now is that I would have to operate two ITFFF accounts and two ST accounts with a hub on each account. But then that defeats the purpose since I can’t be logged into ST on my mobile device with two different sets of accounts.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue… were you able to figure out something ?
Smartthing Support - any suggestions on how to resolve this ?

Hi skhandu,

I reached out to SmartThings support and they responded back that they are working on supporting multiple Hubs with IFTTT on a single ST account. Though it may not be for a while. Only work-around for now is what I noted above.

Cheers,
Kermee

I have this same problem, and there is no work around. I just want to detect my presence at work and at home and trigger IFTTT actions for that. There is no way to do this.

If your use case only involves different locations for the trigger side, you should be able to use any alternative presence locator that has an IFTTT channel and use that one to trigger off your office presence. It doesn’t have to be one that integrates directly with ST. You can even just use the IFTTT android location or IOS location app as the trigger.

You can’t control devices at multiple ST locations through IFTTT, but you can definitely have different IFTTT channels trigger devices at one ST location. So if all you need is geopresence somewhere else, you should have several options.

I am a new user and had the same question. Waiting for Smartthings to address this issue.

Linking similar discussion Connect multiple ST hubs to IFTTT:

As @Kermee points out above, a work around is to operate two ITFFF accounts and two ST accounts with a hub on each account, however that defeats the purpose since we cannot be logged into ST on a mobile device with two different sets of accounts.

Does anyone have or know of any updates to this issue? Got the same problem here…

Thanks!

Any updates to this? It’s a big issue for me that I can control only one of my Hubs from IFTTT. Thanks.

Any fix for this yet? Can’t believe this has been a known issue for years and still remains unresolved!

Sadly, when this thread started back in 2014, there was a workaround : it was possible to attach multiple hubs to the SAME location (using the IDE). It was not officially supported, but it did work.
Unfortunately, with v2 Hub introduction, ST decided to outlaw this option, which for me created a huge regression since I was only using multiple hubs because of too long distances between hubs and devices within the same location.

I fought madly with ST Support to restore this multiple hubs/single location option and got nowhere, although it had been working perfectly.

Unfortunately, and it is a pity for such a promising kickstarter project, ST does not seem very interested in feedback from early adopters; when ST Support answers “forwarded to the development team”, it could as well write “pushed into the nearest black hole”… :frowning:.
And to tell the whole truth, many early adapters, including myself, are not very interested in ST anymore, considering the huge stability issues, and the tons of unresolved bugs…
And multiplying the constraints of one cloud (ST) with the constraints of an other (IFTTT) can only make it worse.

Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendations on an alternative solution considering I may have hit a dead end with Smartthings?

Excellent question… We must be several hundreds (thousands) of SmartThings early adopters looking for such an alternative.
The problem is that “the devil is in the details”, and that to reach the 99.999% reliability level needed for trouble free Home Automation, you need to take care almost of ALL the details, WHEREVER they are in the chain.
And then there is the price vs functionality issue…

The bottom line is that you will NOT know a home automation will work adequately for your specific needs until you have “played” with it multiple months, AND on a large enough scale : the error rate which is acceptable when you have only a few Devices could very well be UNacceptable when you move to several dozens of them !.. as I did learned painfully :frowning:.

The tentative and partial conclusion I have reached at this time is that a 99.999% reliable system is likely INcompatible with a too open, too young, cloud based, system… unless the same company controls all the components along the way, either Hubs, Devices or cloud. And even in that case, you will have all the vagaries of Internet TC/IP connections, a technology designed more than 30 years ago by the Pentagon in a “fire and forget”, “let’s survive the next nuclear war” spirit…

At that point, for local operations, I would likely recommend FIBARO, which has strongly impressed me with the great engineering quality of its products.
And for a cloud based solution, I would look into Apple’s HomeKit, although they are currently very limited in number and type of devices supported; but that will improve in the next 12 months.
In the meantime, as long as you do not require high reliability, SmartThings has a reasonable price to “play” with Home Automation… and learn yourself, the hard way, all its present limitations.
But do not build anything “mission critical” on top of that, that would be like building a skyscraper on top of a quagmire…

Every system has pluses and minuses. It just depends on your specific needs. The following thread might be of interest:

October 2017 checking in. multiple ST hubs still not supported. Sad panda!

1 Like

February, 2018. Still no fix!

Response from support:

Currently, IFTTT and other integrations like Google Home and Alexa can only be installed on one account. This is a limitation of both SmartThings and also IFTTT/Google Home/Alexa. At the moment, the only way to authorize IFTTT is to set up each Hub on a separate email account for both SmartThings and also IFTTT. While IFTTT may be able to see each location since they are tied into the same email IFFF lacks the logic necessary to differentiate between locations. So if you triggered the applet in IFTTT it would randomly select one of those locations as it is not capable of being able to select a specific location, even though you selected a specific location. This is why you would need to have the separate accounts.

If you wanted to do this you would need to Factory Reset one of your Hubs and set it up in a separate SmartThings account as well as a separate IFTTT account. I apologize for this inconvinence. We would love to be able to offer multiple location access to these services and I have added this as a feature request on out internal page on your behalf.

1 Like

ANY news on ifttt using multiple hub locations??

Well, I recently switched to a Samsung account for SmartThings. When I went to authorize my 2 St Hubs in Ifttt, it shows both locations and I was able to give authorizations for all devices on both hubs.

However, the problem now is that when I go to create a trigger using a switch at one location and have it activate something else, my first location’s (hub) that I had with Ifttt before I got the second one, is the only device list that shows. The other devices don’t show up in the list. I’ve already made sure devices from both locations were added using graph.

I was hoping I could use a siren as a trigger to activate a siren on a different hub using IFTTT. Apparently that’s not gonna happen unless I can get IFTTT to list the other hubs devices. I figured once I was able to list both, that would be an option. Guess not…

Hey, it’s progress, though slow progress…