Iconography design/standard

Hey guys, could somebody make the icons more consistent, please? When in the thing-list, they look different, and sized different, and when in the market-place they look different, and sized different.

Also, could you consider giving them a bit of color, the monochromatic theme, is bloody boring.

Oh, and one last thing, could you consider enclosing the icons with a circle/square/triagle, or something that makes them all look consistent, please?

It doesn’t help to cross post essentially the same request to multiple Categories. (Things-Status design/standard)

SmartThings gets substantial feedback on their Apps including usability Beta testing.

I’m not sure what influence your suggestions will have…

I don’t think it’s cross posting, because I’ve tried to keep them separately, and be able to address them separately.

Also, just curious to know, what is the selection criteria for usability testing, and how many people are in that group, and how many are folks that are actually experts on UX design?

2 Likes

Beta Program invites are posted by @slagle and other ST staff from time to time.

I presume they look for a cross section of “real average customers”, since they have UI experts already internally.

1 Like

Im a Graphic Designer (have been for several years) so this sort of thing really is what interests me as many will tell you ive created mountains of free logos and icons and layouts and merchandise for smartthings and developer contributed smartapps…

BUT

In all honesty even i strongly believe the visual design aspects of ST are currently way way wayyyyy down the todo list of this that need to be done to better ST… they need a platform that eorks before it looks pretty.

Ps: the arrival sensor trick is great and i used that proccess to custom icon all mine.

3 Likes

I didn’t even consider doing this. Tip of the Day!

1 Like

That’s cool, and in that case why hack it, and why can’t this be provided via the “Update Icon” operation? That we can use icons from a custom store rather than just the list of default icons provided.

BTW, speaking of the “Update Icon” operation, why do some things provide that, and some don’t? Yet another instance of not having consistent experience.

1 Like