iBlinds - Home Automation For Your Window Blinds (Z-Wave)

iBlinds is coming out and being marketing as being managed by ST straightaway. Do we know if FlipFlic will have smartthings integration in a reasonable time, or we’ll need to use some generic app perhaps…?

ST integration is high on FlipFlic’s priorities, and the ZigBee chip they are using has been tested with SmartThings.

Let’s see what is specified (dates, etc.) when their Kickstarter campaign goes live in a few days.

3 Likes

@tgauchat when is the release date? have they delayed again? maybe more reason to go with iblinds :wink: : I JUST WANT MY BLINDS! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::

and btw, iblinds will have manual control. see comments in their kickstarter

1 Like

Yah… FlipFlic delayed campaign start while lining up some extra publicity. Kickstarter’s are quite a science these days. Don’t think it’s much of a delay. I’d hesitate to spend too much on either one product: too many eggs in one basket, and crowd funding is always risky. Odds improve by supporting more than one in this category.

FlipFlic looks to have delayed by 2 weeks. They were launching the kickstarter campaign tomorrow, but have backed off for 14 days.

Significantly less overlap this way. Only about 2 days or so this way.

You’ll know roughly about the time it launches if iBlinds will make their goal. Under 50% with 16 days left, they will need a strong late push to get there.

1 Like

Yah… I wonder what’s holding people back?

The i-Blinds campaign looks fine; perhaps the units are still too expensive for me market they are reaching, or the deliver date is unattractive (but much more realistic!).

FlipFlic has pros & cons in direct comparison from what I know. I’m optimistic, but a little worried about Backer enthusiasm level.

i agree @tgauchat that its concerning not much interest has grown where there is clearly a benefit to controlling blinds just like controlling a light switch. the cost is low considering the cost of other smart home devices in comparison. @diehllane i know they chose the january 2016 delivery goal bc they have seen other campaigns on kickstarter by others not live up to promises, receiving negative feedback, and/or people backing out of project. so better news would be early date possibility other than delivering on date expected. flipflic only concerns me bc hasnt been a proven product as much as iblinds is being zwave too.

1 Like

For me it’s manual control, mainly for my family members who are still getting use to HA. They’ve been very patient with me, and have adopted a lot of what I’ve done, but removing 2 strings would take them over the edge.

1 Like

@johnconstantelo
" Our plans have always been to create a manual option with the iBlinds device. Your suggestions and feedback are very important to us therefore we’ve decided to make the manual option a Stretch Goal once we’re fully funded!
Thank you again for your valuable opinion.
The iBlinds Team"

from comments on iblinds kickstarter page

1 Like

Yeah, I see those, and I’ve posted comments on that as well. When I see the word “plans”, and stretch goals, I get a little worried. I really like the design and I’ve backed this project, but it needs more supporters. If it gets funded, and the manual option becomes a reality, I’ll be very pleased.

1 Like

i have talked to the backer and they really want to do a manual control. just need more backers to fund stretch goal. i agree with all. i know they have been in discussions to even pass the product to vendors but they need this kickstarter to succeed. its a very promising product. even so that even flipflic, which has been around for awhile, appears they havent done as much in such a short period of time.

Don’t forget, their projected delivery is the beginning of 2017 which I actually like because it’s WAY more realistic than most Kickstarter projects, that being said I have a feeling that’s what’s causing the slow take up.

I bet you if they restart the campaign with a projected delivery of June 2016, they’d get millions of dollars in funding in an instant and then get delayed until 2017 anyway…

3 Likes

I definitely agree. I much prefer conservative delivery timelines; unfortunately, too many people consider Kickstarter to be a store, and consider long delivery timelines to be less attractive and, mistakenly, think that such products are “less ready for production” than ones with earlier delivery.

3 Likes

10 days to go, still under 50% for iBlinds… Likely NOT going to get funded this go around unfortunately.

Hopefully FlipFlic has a better funding round. Maybe people will trade some chocolate for cash after Easter and support the project?

1 Like

Yes, it’s disappointing. I supported iBlinds in both this and the previous round. It looks like a nice solution in terms of form factor. FlipFlic may be more consumer-friendly and able to appeal to a bigger market and, hence, have a better chance of funding; but I prefer something that fits in the rail.

2 Likes

I wonder what’s holding it back? It’s one of the cleanest (and cheapest!) solutions in my opinion.

4 Likes

And iBlinds has officially thrown in the towel.

Hi there,
We’re writing to let you know that iBlinds - Make Your Existing Blinds Intelligent (Canceled) has been canceled by the project creator.

Just thrown in the “Crowdfunding towel”… luckily there is still a lot of cheap capital out there that is looking for a home. Investors certainly have to be willing and able to afford risk, but then they will be rewarded with more than just a product discount.

There are some great things going on behind the scene of this extraordinary product. We have an “angel” investor (venture capitalist) to assist in making this product a reality, access to one of the top packaging and distribution companies in the world and one of our nation’s top retailers interested in this product!

Still iBlinds looked like a fine entry into this sector and I’m surprised the backers didn’t show up…

Honestly, FlipFlic’s early campaign success (so far) is very much due to superior marketing and PR investment. They hired the best. Didn’t hurt they included my picture and bio in the campaign team too (or at least I hope it doesn’t hurt :worried: :scream: :wink:).

The real test for FlipFlic is maintaining momentum… and then delivering the features and quality they promise!

3 Likes

Yea, the kickstarter update mentioned all of their press.
That’s been a BIG difference.

People have to know about the campaign to back it.
Also… The keyword here is “Campaign”. It really is a campaign. People don’t vote for politicians they don’t know, so how can they back a product they don’t know?

1 Like

You helped make my device? I wanted to interface with the twisty bit at first! Royalties?

Lol good luck I want them now!!!

1 Like