I need a humidity sensor to link with aircon (UK)

Hi, I wonder if someone can help. I have Samsung Aircon and use smartthings. I need to buy a humidity and temperature sensor so that I can automate the aircon to come on when required, but I’ve ended up in a minefield trying to find one that will work.
I see some but they need a “hub” and it’s all too confusing for me. My other devices run on WiFi with no issues.
I’m UK based if that helps. Thank you all

There are very few battery powered Wi-Fi sensors because the batteries just won’t last very long. Wi-Fi uses about 10 times as much power as zwave or zigbee or Bluetooth, which is why you may be having a hard time finding one that works without a hub.

Sonoff makes one, but it has to be wired into the mains and it requires custom code to work with smartthings. So it’s technically doable, and I’m going to put the link here for others who are interested because of this topic title, but I don’t think it’s going to be one that you would like.

Tuya makes a WiFi version of their temperature/humidity sensor which can be powered from USB, and it works with the smartlife app, but I don’t know whether it will work with smartthings or not. Hopefully someone else more familiar with that model will know. This is sold under many different brand names. (Note that in your situation you want the Wi-Fi model, not the zigbee model, because the Zigbee model would require a hub.) some versions can be powered with three AA batteries, just be aware you may have to change batteries every few months.

I know the sonoff one works wit( SmartThings, there are people using it, it’s just the setup is technical and it does require wiring.

The tuya plugs in via USB and doesn’t require any special set up, I just don’t know what integration is available with smartthings.

1 Like

Thank you so much. So on reading this I’m better off going down the Zwave route. Tonight is the first I’ve heard of Zwave. I’ll look at those options you’ve advised of. Is there a good hub to look for? Thank you

This forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ Home Automation platform. So all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It is a very busy community, so it often comes up near the top on general home automation searches, but it is not a general forum. So the assumption here is that you would be using one of the smartthings hubs. The most current one for the UK is made by Aeotec in a partnership with Samsung.

There are certainly other hubs by other companies, but you wouldn’t be running them on the smartthings platform, so they would be off topic for this forum.

If you want to look into other brands, the Reddit home automation subforum is brand agnostic:

1 Like

Thank you for your time and help

1 Like

Let’s hope Someone who knows more about that Tuya plug-in option comments. That would be the easiest for you if it does work with SmartThings. :sunglasses:

1 Like