I bought the Everspring Flood detector and have a question

I searched the forum but the last post was almost a year ago. I used the built in device support for the Everspring ST812 flood detector and the device shows fine, but there is a battery, refresh and a configure button which doesn’t do anything. Why is it even there if this is the ST released device type? Any answers would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I would like to know the answer too.

I sent an email to ST support asking them since this is created by ST developers. I will let you know what they say.

1 Like

Answer from SmartThings support.
Sorry for the trouble with this. The ‘Configure’ command is actually used to send a refresh command and update the properties of the current states for the Zigbee sensor/device. It is effectively the same as ‘Refresh’. It is confusing, most people think it should allow for configuration of various extra parameters, but it is not. Sorry for the trouble and confusion.

1 Like

I have setup the Everspring Flood Sensor with my SmartThings hub using the “built in” device type like other have stated earlier in this thread. However, in testing my device, and the “Configure” button/command, I am not experiencing the expected result. Here is what I did:

1. Took battery out of Everspring sensor

2. Tapped on the device “Configure” button in the SmartThings mobile app

3. Verified in the SmartThings Web Device Portal that the ‘configure’ event was indeed sent

4. Received NO update to the device parameters after waiting approximately 3 minutes.

I would have expected the device to, at a minimum, report status as OFFLINE, or INACTIVE, etc…

This seems like a flaw in the “built in” device configuration w/in SmartThings. What good is a flood sensor if it cannot adequately report device failure / disconnection / dead battery, etc???

Neither the refresh nor the configure button would return any responses from the devices under normal operating conditions. This is because the device is a sleepy device (AFAIK), ie. it only wakes up to accept commands every X seconds (typically 3600 seconds). Once it wakes up the device handler sends the request to the device (again depends on how the DH is written, some queue some don’t). The other way is to “force” the device to wake up (see the instruction manual on how to do it). Typically the configure routine is run during the pairing process but as you’ll see due to timing issues it isn’t always run due to the same issue above, if the go back to sleep/end wake command is sent before configure completes. Anyway long story short, ignore those buttons, they won’t work and they don’t make any difference to the normal operations of the device once the pairing is complete.

Thank you for this information. At the time of my post I was new to HA, SmartThings, and the Zwave protocol. I was able to figure out how to setup the device to wake and report back to the hub every hour. I then use a separate SmartApp (Simple Device Viewer) to notify me if my device(s) don’t ack back to the hub after a defined period of time. This solves my issue of wanting notification of device “failures”.

Still puzzling is why these Device Handlers even expose the “Configure” tile if the command is essentially worthless after setup. Removing the “Configure” tile from these Device Handlers would prevent confusion and probably improve customer satisfaction. As a beginner, tapping the “Configure”, one would expect this to result in some noticable result.