Huge Recessed Wall Mounted Tablet

LCARS like this?

1 Like

ErnieG…

Y O U D A M A N !!! :star_struck::+1:

If you want the entire interface to be LCARS themed (rather than just Action Tiles), then you can just use an LCARS launcher on android or the launcher that I used “Total Launcher” also has plenty of LCARS themes that will make the whole thing look that way (I originally set it up that way, but it didn’t pass WAF). Then you just use SharpTools (as I did) to map your LCARS buttons/hotspots to SharpTools shortcuts in order to control smartthings. You can just google an image of the back of the tablet, but it’s a fairly substantial notch, if you just mounted this within a frame, it would stick a good ways away from the wall. In my images, that big notch that I cut out of the stud only got the tablet to be exactly level with the surface of the sheetrock.

Ernie,

Thanks for the link - but it only brings up a page with a PIN entry - and I cannot get past that.

I will have to look further into it.

Thanks again,
Curtis

Odd. Works for me. Just search LCARS in the forum. Its the first thread shown.

Pin should be 0477 sorry lol

1 Like

Now gotta see if I can find me a GALAXY VIEW for a good price.

1 Like

Yeah, the other problem is that it’s a couple years old now and definitely abandoned by samsung (hasn’t gotten an update in at least a year). That being said, it does what I want it to and I don’t really need updates for it to do that.

How do you have the outlet behind the wall? Is it an outlet with the charging unit plugged into it and in the wall cavity? The tablet looks great totally flush but I’m trying to picture how you have everything inside the wall. Thanks

I mention this in the post, but I ran a 14/2 power cable up the wall to the attic and then back down into my utility closet (where I have an outlet). I then made up both sides of the 14/2 power cable with plug ends like this on one side and the female version on the other. Then I plugged the utility closet side into my outlet and the tablet plugs into the otherside in the wall. Technically it’s against code to have an outlet in the wall and while my way is still against code, I feel it’s a little safer since I can unplug the source if needed. I actually have the power source side plugged into a z-wave switch that turns the power to the tablet off at night and when we’re away so that the screen will turn off (the default setting while it’s powered is to keep the screen on all day for the picture screensaver to be useful) .

@73roderick - Are you getting any screen burn in? I have a Galaxy Tab S that turns the screen on when the front camera sees motion to show our IP Cameras using tinycam. After a while I got very bad screen burnin therefore I am not considering an Odroid C2 with an LCD touchscreen as regular LCD should be immune to burn in, or at least much less than Samsung’s Amoled. A couple issues I am running into is that there doesn’t seem to be a very good touch LCD offering with reasonable pricing, and that the Android release for the Odroid C2 is always lagging behind. Android was my preference mostly for tinycam but I’d be happy with Linux running a browser to show cameras and HA stuff. Last, the Samsung tablet has a much higher resolution screen which is nice since I run my IP Cameras at resolutions between 3 and 5MP so much more than regular 1080p. A touch 4k screen would be awesome if it did not break the bank.

We haven’t had any screen burn-in issues with our tablet that we’ve noticed yet and it’s been up for a couple years now. We have the screen turn off at night and it goes to our family pictures screen saver automatically after 5-10 minutes of getting turned on. We use ours to display tinycam as well, but also use Blue Iris.

2 Likes

I’ve had this thread bookmarked for over a year and am finally about to embark on copying this for our home :slight_smile:.

For mounting into the wall, does the View just fit snugly into your bracket - enough to hold it in? I’m assuming the trim is purely aesthetic, or does it in fact help secure it as well?

Are you talking about the white trim? If so, it does help to hold the tablet in. I installed magnets on the frame and small metal pegs that go into holes in the bracket. The frame keeps the tablet from falling forward out of the frame when it’s jabbed by people. It’s not a great method though and I’m planning on securing it a different way and getting a different frame for purely aesthetic reasons.

Ah, ok that makes sense. We’re considering our kids going into an app like Trello to mark chores complete, so I’m looking to make sure it’s fairly secure.

1 Like

How did you get Home Mode, Away Mode settings on the dashboard? I am trying to do something similar with my Ring alarm, I will have the Ring app for controlling arming/disarming, but want to show the current status on the dashboard home screen.

How did you get Home Mode, Away Mode settings on the dashboard?

I used sharptools (android app) which allowed me to make widgets to control things like that. Although to be honest, ever since getting google homes, we almost never use the tablet to control smartthings as it’s easier to do it through the google home. We just say “away mode” to our google home and it does that for us.

This is great setup – one quick note that I haven’t seen mentioned; is that carving out the 2x4 stud has various code compliance requirements. I.e. it’s not structurally OK to cut out any random portion… I believe it’s only allowed as a “hole” at the center and up to a certain diameter, 3/4" IIRC but could be different in different jurisdictions. I would suggest checking that out and bring it back to compliant state (steel reinforcement?)… Maybe shift the bulge to the left or to the right so that you don’t have to do that.

The tablet is >16" long, so it was either going to be carving into 1 stud or 2 :slight_smile: As for structural stability, it has absolutely 0 real-world impact on the wall stability (IMO) (though you very well could be correct about code). The house was a rambler and that wall was not load-bearing. We actually sold that house recently and the inspection didn’t have any problem with it, so I think we’re good :slight_smile:

Normally, except with the galaxy view tablets you wouldn’t have a huge bulge to deal with.