Hub v2 died, can only source v3: how do I migrate?

Hub v2 died in lightning strike, only finding the aeotec locally to buy, how do I move all my devices, handlers, apps, etc, over to the new?
This is in Europe, if that matters.

Have a look at

How to migrate from SmartThings Hub to the Aeotec Smart Home Hub (the-ambient.com)

Little to non helpful post.

ā€œFirst, you need to install the Aeotec Smart Home Hub, so that you have both the old and new hubs running on your system.ā€

-As stated, mine is dead.

But:
ā€œSmartThings V2 and V3: You can apply to Samsung support to get the migration tool, which can move devices automatically for you.ā€

-which was the first thing I did yesterday, but no answers stillā€¦

And then this:

ā€œIf you have to manually transfer devices between hubs, then you have to do the job in two parts. First, you need to remove the device from your existing hub; then you need to add the device to the new hub.ā€

-no shit Sherlockā€¦

As I said, little to non helpful post.
But thanks for trying.

The migration tool only works with active/working hubs. So the migration tool would not work in your case. You will need to manually move each device over to a new hub.

2 Likes

@Nimrooz cool, will definitely make sure I donā€™t bother attempting to help you in the future then.

Youā€™d be surprised how many people are unable to Google anything.

Good luck with that kind of attitude.

1 Like

Not correct. Z-wave devices can be excluded from any z-wave hub. In your case, you can exclude them with the new Aeotec hub and then add them. One by one so it will be a slow process.

Zigbee devices can be reset and then added to the hub. Follow the manufacturers instructions for resetting. Some may have you remove the battery, others remove the battery - press and hold a button and reinsert the battery, or press a button as you plug the device into an outlet, etc etc.

1 Like

That was what I feared also, but could be that someone had a solution for it, so I askedšŸ˜…

1 Like

Bad at handling a little bit of criticism, not even a hard one?
I actually thanked you for trying to help.
So donā€™t see the point of being bitter about it, I was just wondering if you understood my question, and the post or link was not helpful.
But yeah, I agree, some people canā€™t Google for sh"#$&tšŸ¤£

Can handle criticism, itā€™s rudeness Iā€™m not keen on.

Good luck with your issuesā€¦

1 Like

If I came across as rude, Iā€™m sorry for that, was not meant as rudenessā€¦
Remember, English is not everyoneā€™s first language, and in writing things can be received differently then it was meant when sent.

Thanks

Iā€™ve thought about what I would do if this ever happened due to the fact that SmartThings has absolutely NO customer support with the issue of failed equipment which includes connected devices as well as the Hub.

My thoughts would be to use the wonderful Edge Virtual Device drivers (@TAustin @ygerlovin). My ideas would be that once I got the new Hub online, that I would create virtual devices for everything I have matching the device type. Then mirror everything from Screens to Automations using the virtual devices. Then when I have everything duplicated on the new Hub, start removing the devices from the old hub and connecting them to the new Hub and setting them up using their virtual device counterpart as the guide. Once everything is done, then remove the virtual devices. The only thing that could get in the way is the SmartThings device and Automation trigger limitations, but the jury is still out on if Edge devices limits might be able to exceed the limits of DTH devices.

Donā€™t delete anything from the old hub as that risks getting Routines and Scenes deleted or edited. Groovy handlers and apps are part of your Location so should be fine. So it will be a case of resetting/excluding your hub connected devices and onboarding to the new hub. You can then work through Routines, Scenes and apps replacing old devices with new.

Only when you are happy things are as they should be might you like to address ST thinking you have the old hub with devices paired to it.

1 Like