Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.24.11

I finally figured out on mine that the mode is changing when I execute the routine, but none of my automations see the change. So I couldn’t tell that it worked. Most of my lighting type automations are working, but anything based on mode seems to be lost.

No idea if its related to this firmware release, but I’ve had multiple devices behave erratically since it was released.

One motion sensor started reporting at 1% battery - replacing the battery fixed it.

Multiple Xiaomi (Zigbee) devices dropped off the network over the past few days - some re-joined successfully just by pressing the button, but I had to exclude/re-add others. Rebooting router (including removing batteries) did not help.

Multiple Z-Wave energy/power sockets just drop off the network and i’ve had to remove/re-add them. I just noticed another one dropped off this morning - this has been working flawlessly since adding it on 1st Feb - over 6 months ago. Z-Wave repair did not help.

This is the first time a firmware update has (apparently) impacted me - nothing critical for me, but certainly annoying.

I can say that you’re not the only experiencing this issue…
@jasonrwise77 has been having the exact same issue.

1 Like

Yep, same here. Move as much as I could to use shm instead

It never happened that way before. Even after release the centercode page was still there and available to login

My SmartThings leak sensors (newest) stuck on updating firmware three days ago. Pulling the batteries got them working again.

And my garage motion sensor is now at 1% battery again, TWO DAYS after I replaced the battery.

I leave for an international two week business trip next week and if I have these issues while I am gone I will not be a happy camper.

1 Like

Argh, just when I was about to dump ST maybe 6 months ago, everything magically started to work again and now, nothing works. ZigBee, Zwave, everything says it is not available, I hate ST updates.

Do you honestly think your batter is dead? Have you checked it with a meter?

Honestly I have not. It’s possible that it’s reading it wrong. But I replaced 7 different batteries Saturday and they all are in varying extreme levels of drain.

And I don’t really want to have to worry about it. The platform, to be candid and different from most folks here it seems, has been rock solid for me.

We have nurses in and out of our house all hours of the day, presence activating and deactivating SHM, Arlo cameras activating at set times, ring doorbell connected for all notifications, motion based lights, garage door automations, etc. without any issues for the last two years.

So I don’t believe that it suddenly started happening all on its own. The underlying platform change was this firmware update.

1 Like

I changed a few that were at 1% since the firmware update. Those new ones are now at 1% again. I’m letting them go for now to see if they’ll stay at 1% for months to come.

Check out my post above. When I started having this issue a bunch of beta’s back I was told it was the DTH. Every time I see it now, when I check the dth it has been magically changed to a custom one from the stock. You could give it a shot…

Thanks for the info. I checked my IDE, and none have magically changed device type.

1 Like

I have 4 devices that are now unavailable. Any updates from ST staff on this?

Hi Kianoosh. I am having this problem and it’s eating through batteries. If the issue is on Yale’s side do we have any idea how they may resolve it. As far as I can see there is no option to do a firmware upgrade on the device.

None that I’ve seen in the Community, nor on my support tickets. I have noticed (via the IDE) that any device that use to “poll” or check in every hour now doesn’t do that unless it is manually used or used via the app/automations. I’ve had unused switches go over 24 hours, where they use to be every hour. Something changed on their back end, or DTH, but I haven’t had the time in the last couple days to do any more digging.

1 Like

I have also replaced batteries in 4 devices motions and door multi sensors since update from 1% to 50%. They were 100% for 1 day after replacing them then starting draining down next day and other are going down as well!! Never had battery problems before!!

I’m adding my information here, not to gloat, but to simply add data points for those that are interested.

I have the V2 hub, 5 water sensors (all newest SmartThings branded), 2 motion sensors (1 old 1 new), 7 multipurpose sensors (2 old 5 new), and 25 or so wall switches (mostly zwave, a few zigbee), 8 osram bulbs, 2 osram garden lights, 1 osram strip light and 2 zigbee outlets.

I verified by looking at the events in the Ide that all my sensors either did not require or successfully updated their firmware. The ones that needed it took about 25 minutes to update. All sensors have been working fine since the release. Remaining battery percents seem normal.

I had one GE dimmer show unavailable and refreshing by using the button in the custom device handler would not fix it as it usually does. The switch did respond to the phone app and actiontiles just fine even though it showed unavailable. This switch seems to have resolved itself while we are out of town over the weekend with no intervention by me.

I also had one of the garden spot light become unresponsive until I unplugged it to reset it. I can’t necessarily blame this on the update as it has happened before. It’s the furthest device from my hub and any zigbee repeaters.

Other than those two issues, all has been fine for me.

My info. Thankfully not as bad as some of you guys but maybe its because of my hub version.

New v3 hub with 7x “new” multipurpose sensors, 8x “new” leak sensors, and a couple “new” motion sensors. All sensors were installed about two weeks ago. Before the update almost everything was sitting at 98% - 100%. After the update (today) all leak sensors are still around 100%, all motions at 100%, but all multipurpose sensors are between 80% - 85%. As far as Z-Wave I didn’t have any issues (20+ GE dimmers, switches, and fan controllers…mix of Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus). So not sure if its a v2/v3 hub thing or what.

It’s very interesting to note that up until this firmware update (and the beta I was in), I had most battery powered devices not reporting battery levels for days and weeks. I noted that in a support ticket last month (twice) because I always saw battery reports, even if the value didn’t change. I was told by support that this is normal, and I said nope. I smelled something fishy. I’ve been with ST way too long and I check things daily - something changed. I knew something changed because battery powered devices would go offline for no reason, even when the battery was at 67% (again, this was noted in my support tickets with screenshots). Replacing the battery got things working - and checking the battery with a meter confirmed they were super low.

Behold the firmware release on 10/11…

Now I get battery reports. Here’s one for an ST motion sensor that I just replaced the battery for last month:

I can’t go back any further than 5 days ago because - ST only holds 7 days of events. I went from 87% (last I remember) to what you see above. AND, with NO firmware updates needed:

Between the odd battery behavior, odd zwave behavior I’ve not seen before, dropping of zigbee devices, and the beta not having this magnitude of problems, there were more than hub firmware updates going on in my opinion…

I’m done complaining… I see things are better today, but a lot different than a week ago.

4 Likes