Hub Firmware Beta 45.6

Hub Firmware 0.45.X Beta

Hey everyone!

We’re excited to announce the start of a new SmartThings Hub Firmware Beta. Version 0.45.6 will begin rolling out in batches starting on Sep 26, 2022. This will be a phased rollout so that we can keep a close eye on any issues that arise so your hub may not be updated immediately. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.45.6 (Update: 0.45.7)

Hub Target

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)

Release Date

• Release Date: Sep 26, 2022

Help Us Help You

As part of our Beta program, it is important for our support team to investigate logs from Hubs running that are reporting errors. To provide our team access, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select the Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and choose Confirm

Release Notes

• Upgrade Zigbee firmware stack (V3 Only)
    • This upgrade may be rolled out separately from the Hub firmware release. We’ll provide updates as the rollout begins and as it progresses.
    • Please pay special attention to any possible regressions in Zigbee functionality with this release.

Edge Drivers

• Various enhancements

NOTE

Anyone who participated in the previous beta is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta, but haven’t taken the survey yet: Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt-out, update your preferences via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode

Update Oct 3 to 0.45.7:

• Changes to provide additional diagnostic information to SmartThings Engineers to debug Zigbee issues.
  • Issue with edge drivers TCP servers fixed which could result in new connections not being accepted after two clients are accepted in a short window of time.
  • Limits for total memory used by edge drivers adjusted for V3; warnings for this will be shown in the mobile app when attempting device join through the catalog if above the low or high thresholds. The previous limits were set higher than intended and this feature would not have worked as intended for V3 hubs.

Update Oct 7th, 2022 - 0.45.8 Firmware Release:

• Zigbee stability improvements
  • Fixed issue causing high system cpu for drivers at the hard memory limit for drivers (resulting in frequent disconnects, high latency, and other issues).

Update Oct 12th, 2022 - 0.45.9 Firmware Release:

• Fixed a bug in the driver live logging server to allow location members to view driver logs
  • Additional Zigbee stability improvements
  • Fixed a bug where Zigbee groups were not preserved when upgrading the Zigbee stack
  • Allow drivers to add the hub to group id 0x0000 that may fix some Zigbee buttons

Update Oct 27th, 2022 - 0.45.11 Firmware Release:

• Fixed a bug where ZigBee is stuck in an offline state until the hub is rebooted
  • Resolved a known issue where customers with Sonos devices were experiencing frequent Hub reboots
  • Set the default reportable change for Zigbee Power Meter devices to 5 instead of 1 to reduce event noise
3 Likes

If it is a significant upgrade that could be good news for Ikea button users.

3 Likes

Oh man, I can’t wait…

2 Likes

This announcement was a bit vague.

Just this makes me cringe and think, “great what else is going to break”.

2 Likes

For me, at least with Edge drivers, the current Zigbee stack has been phenomenal with Ikea On/Off dimmer, 5-button remote, and shortcut buttons.

One of my On/Off dimmers has been six months on the same battery.
The same button on Home Assistant with a CC2652P coordinator using zigbee2mqtt was a week at best.

Edge drivers don’t make any difference to the Ikea button battery performance for me. If they are in a position where the routing stays the same they survive. Otherwise they drain with hours of a routing change.

Unfortunately Ikea buttons becoming unusable for many users apparently wasn’t considered a significant regression at the time, and probably rightly so. It cost me a ridiculous amount in batteries before I had to accept the problem wasn’t going anywhere.

1 Like

I returned them after they cost too much effort to try and make a “cheap” solution. Life is too short and IKEA’s return policy is long.

I am a case to be studied, continuous disconnections with each addition or deletion of a single device. I hope not to cause some headaches to the engineers who are going to read the logs.
I want to bring my testimony because I use Vimar zigbee switches, and I think that nobody uses them outside Italy, in Italy they are widespread, and for some time, many users have problems with burst disconnections. We hopefully it may be a firmware issue

Zigbee firmware updated from version 5.4.2 to 5.4.4.

1 Like

Bottoms. I was hoping for version 6 point something.

I wonder if the chipset(s) are compatible with the later firmware offerings from silabs.

Are the chips in the V2/V3/Aeotec hubs all the same?

We will be enabling the upgraded Zigbee firmware stack throughout the day and monitoring. I’ll post again when the rollout is complete.

2 Likes

Hey @cbaumler , I rebooted my hub this morning after my hub was updated yesterday, and now I have a device flooding the hub with these events every 5 minutes. It started at 2022-09-27 9:38:08.000 AM EDT:

raw:8C77000022A30000210E2B, dni:8C77, errorCode:00, ieee:0022A30000210E2B

The device is named “Master Bath Lisa’s Closet Light”. I have granted the SmartThings Support team with access to my account. What do you need from me to take a look?

BTW, I’m not at home to physically use the device to to debug anything yet. I’ll be there in about 2 hours.

That should be sufficient for now. We’ll take a look at your issue.

I should note that the Zigbee firmware upgrade will only affect V3 hubs.

For those of us that weren’t paying attention to the Zigbee firmware version before, what is the updated version number?

And, even though I am not part of the beta, will the Zigbee firmware upgrade be applied to V2 hubs in time for the production release?

Mine went from 5.4.2 to 5.4.4 yesterday.

Thanks @cbaumler , I am home now and can test anything you need. That device is Offline but in the IDE it is reporting Last Activity as of “a minute ago”. It’s likely I’ll need to reset and rejoin it for it to go back online.

The Zigbee firmware upgrade is not applicable for V2 hubs. It contains some internal updates that apply to V3 hubs only. However, everyone will have seen a version bump from 5.4.2 to 5.4.4 when the new hub firmware was applied.

3 Likes