Hub Beta Firmware Announcement 0.44.6 -->now updated to 0.44.9

I’m a little concerned about the recent releases. The android and iOS apps have been a big step back with many regression bugs breaking existing drivers, apps and DTH’s - some very severely.
Haven’t seen so many issues with a firmware release in a long time. But the timing of it all happening across the mobile apps and firmware, sounds like there needs to be better/more stringent QA.

1 Like

Hi, everyone.
I’m already checking with the team if they know of an issue that might be causing this behavior. In case we need more info, we’ll contact you directly.
I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like

also have the solid blue light, looks like my hub went offline last evening around 7:40 PM set. have don’t all the normal troubleshooting items but nothing has brought it back to life…

1 Like

No issues here, don’t know when my v2 Hub upgraded, but its running and has been.

Just unplug hub power then hold the reset pin while plugging power back in and watch for flashing yellow light. Release pin when you see the flashing yellow. Take care NOT to hold reset pin too long(solid yellow light), this will cause a factory reset.

What version hub does that apply to?

Thanks @nunyabiziz after following your instructions I am back online and the firmware seems to finished updating

Hey @bmmiller @pchiccino @Duane1 @PeteyNice try doing a soft reset as @nunyabiziz mentioned

Just unplug hub power then hold the reset pin while plugging power back in and watch for flashing yellow light. Release pin when you see the flashing yellow. Take care NOT to hold reset pin too long(solid yellow light), this will cause a factory reset.

1 Like

Did the trick for me as well. Phew.

Hey all, we’re taking a look at the issues now and are going to run the numbers to see the impact for the beta group. Right now we see these hubs still talking to our update server and we are likely to issue a rollback today which we believe will get people to green LEDs again.

For anyone impacted, we would ideally like to have the hub receive the rollback as this will put the hub through a graceful shutdown and allow us to potentially get logs from the previous boot so that we can diagnose what went wrong with the firmware update for the subset of hubs that were affected. @bmmiller @pchiccino @Duane1 @PeteyNice FYI.

We expect that to likely be done in the next several hours and will update this thread upon completion or other change to that tentative plan.

3 Likes

Sounds good, I will refrain from doing the soft reset so you can have at it.

1 Like

worked for me as well, huge thank you for this.

As an update, we are going to move the full beta population back to the 0.43 production release based on the problems seen by a subset in moving to the new 0.44 release until we can prepare a fix for the issue that we discovered following the deployment. I’ll get @cbaumler to update the header on this page to clarify.

We’re still digging through things a bit but the problem seems to be isolated to a subset of hubs which have smart lighting automations with specific characteristics (we think particularly size) that is causing a problem with one of the underlying serialization/deserialization libraries that was updated during the release cycle. No action should be required to deal with this, we’re going to address the problem in that dependency as required – we may reach out to a few specific users to get additional information to confirm the root cause analysis and get a consistent reproduction.

Thank you all for your patience and feedback on the problem. We expect the update to roll back to 0.43 to be out within the next ~1-2 hours.

4 Likes

Thanks for this note, could this be the issue that even though my hub is online, none of my smart lighting automation are working? seems like it might be but wanted to verify.

My hub has rolled back to 43.00004.

I do see it rolled back but also it looks like a lot of my devices now list Placeholder as the type which looks like its the issue because they are motions that trigger events and since they are not showing placeholder they don’t show as motion sensor.

Placeholder means the device is now using an Edge driver. In the ST app, you can open the detailed view for the device and click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the screen… there should be a Driver in the list. Select it to see what Edge Driver is being used.

Note: you can’t edit Edge devices (those with Placeholder) in IDE so don’t switch it to a motion sensor Device Handler there.

1 Like

Just an update, automations seem to be coming back online now…still seeing placeholder in the IDE but I guess that’s fine.

yes, @jkp is right. As the IDE is part of the Legacy platform, the details of Edge-based devices are not displayed correctly. So, don’t worry about “placeholder” and “execution: Cloud” shown there.

thanks for this.

Hub Firmware 0.44.7 Beta

Hey everyone!

We’re excited to announce the start of a new SmartThings Hub Firmware Beta. Version 0.44.7 will begin rolling out in batches starting on Aug 4, 2022. We will send out an email when we start updating Hubs. We will be paying close attention to any issues encountered by users so your hub may not get updated right away. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

Hub Target

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)

Release Date

• Release Date: Aug 4, 2022
    We will post on this thread once all users should have received the update.

Help Us Help You

As part of our Beta program, it is important for our support team to investigate logs from Hubs running that are reporting errors. To provide our team access, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select the Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and choose Confirm

Release Notes

• Resolved the issue that caused the previous 44.6 Beta roll back where hubs were reporting offline

Edge Drivers

• Fixed a bug that was preventing cosock.channel from timing out
  • APIs that would previously crash the driver when timing out will now gracefully time out with a more helpful error message
  • Addressed a memory leak when using the tcp/udp sockets

NOTE

Anyone who participated in the previous beta is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta, but haven’t taken the survey yet: Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt-out, update your preferences via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode

4 Likes