How to stop text messages!

About six months ago I installed two Ecolink motion sensors as a backup for motion sensors on our hard wired alarm system that had had a false positive.

As we were about to go on an extended vacation, I wanted to do testing and somehow configured the sensors to send me a text message whenever they sensed motion.

Now I can’t figure out how to get them to stop! Help!

I’ve spent hours pouring over every possible way I can think of to find how I did this and can’t find it. I’ve taken the deconfigured the sensors and then added them back in. I’ve deleted every bit of the security functionality, and the messages persist.

Looking for suggestions on how to stop them.

Thanks.

Never mind. I found the problem. My texts had a slightly different title than my SmartThings hub name. Turns out it was from my hard wired alarm system configuration on alarm.com.

I’ve spent hours looking in the wrong place.

1 Like

You can start by checking to see what smart apps are using that particular sensor. That will probably be the quickest way to find where you can turn it off.

One) open the SmartThings mobile app

Two) choose the rooms Icon (four tiny squares at the bottom of the page)

1. click on “things” at the top of the rooms page

2. scroll down until you see the sensor that is sending the unwanted texts. Click on its name (just the name, not the icon on the left or the right of it) to open its details page.

3. on the sensor’s details page, click on “smart apps” at the top of the page

Now you will see a list of all the smart apps and routines that are using the sensor.

Just go through them one by one and see which ones are set up to send notifications.

2 Likes

I’m going to update this for people since some of these are with an older version of the app. This is what worked for me:

1. Goto “My Home” icon at the bottom of the screen
  2. Make sure it is on “Things” which is towards the top of the screen
  3. Select the thing you want, say “Front Door Sensor” or whatever
  4. Toward the top of the screen will be 3 opetions “Right Now”, Recently" and “SmartApps”. Select the “SmartApps” screen.
  5. Click the routine you want to examine to see if it’s sending the notifications/SMS
  6. This is the key, click on the “Next” at the top right of the screen
  7. That will take you to the “Set up what should happen when we detect an event” screen and then
  8. Click on Text & Push Notifications and you can turn it off there

repeat for all sensors that are bothering you.

1 Like