How to set up home to randomly turn lights on and off when on vacation?

Is there a way to set up the Smart things hub to randomly turn on Lights and things while away. Or do I need to set up a Routine for each light and and outlet. I want to give it an appearance that some one my be home.

There are a couple of custom smart apps that can do this, including the popular ā€œvacation light director.ā€

If you havenā€™t used custom code with smartthings before, itā€™s pretty straightforward. Basically you copy someone elseā€™s code and paste it into your account. Hereā€™s the FAQ for that process:

If after looking that over it sounds like something youā€™d like to try, you can check the quick browse list for ā€œlightingā€ under smart apps in the community created wiki and see the various custom code that community members have contributed. ā€œVacation Light directorā€ should be in there.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

1 Like

I use the CoRE app to do this for me.
Hereā€™s a screenshot.
Works well for me and you can set how long the lights are on for and the 'randomness ā€™ according.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my CoRE version for away/vacation lighting that randomly selects one of three lights to turn on/off:

1 Like

Hey, howā€™d you get it to be ā€œimmediatelyā€ for your variable setting? I canā€™t figure it out!

@elf thanks!

Vacation Lighting Director SmartApp is available from Automations>SmartApps>Add a SmartApp>Lights and Switches.

Mmmmm ā€¦ thatā€™s a REALLY old version of my Away Lighting ā€¦ I didnā€™t even recognize it since I completely rewrote it, LOL. I donā€™t think ā€œFollow up with pistonā€ is even a valid wecCoRE command anymore ā€¦

Would you need able to post a backup of your updated piston so it can be imported?

Thank you!

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m currently using ā€¦ easy enuf to change time requirements, add lights:

1 Like

Hi. I donā€™t see the vacation lighting director in this path you specified. do i have to install something to get it to show up?

Itā€™s in Marketplace not Automations then follow as directed

Thanks, Bob. I went to marketplace>smartapps>lights&switches but i dont see it there either. I then scoured the entire marketplace smartapps section and i still dont see vacation lighting director. this should be simple, but iā€™m feeling a bit defeated by this :frowning:

ITā€™S GONE.
Must admit I didnā€™t find it reliable.
I use webCoRE now.
Here is a simple one I use.

Thank you for helping me confirm iā€™m not crazy. i wouldnā€™t begin to know how to use code with smartthings. can you provide me with a n00b instruction page i can review to get it setup? btw, thanks for taking the time to help.

Bob - forgive me for the dumb question but can you tell me how to import this into my WebCore? Not done it before.

When creating a new piston, select the option RESTORE A PISTON USING BACKUP CODE.
Use the code at the top of the piston. x8z6x.

Thank you.

I found it googling. Here is the GitHub link: https://github.com/imnotbob/vacation-lighting-director/blob/master/smartapps/imnotbob/vacation-lighting-director.src/vacation-lighting-director.groovy