How to install Edge Drivers of Smartthings? - Emmanuel Katto Uganda

Hello people, my name is Emmanuel Katto and I’m from Uganda, Africa. I’m new at Smartthings and wanted to know how to install Edge Drivers of Smartthings, is there anyone who can help me with this?

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Edge drivers that are created by SmartThings engineers are automatically distributed to all customers, so those will appear on your SmartThings/Aeotec hub without you having to do anything.

Custom edge drivers created by device manufacturers or other customers are all installed in the same way.

1. follow a link to the author’s “channel.”

Usually you will get this link from the author themselves either in a topic in this forum or at GitHub or from support at the device manufacturer. Or you might get it from a blog or video by someone else recommending the custom edge driver.

1. that will take you to a webpage where you can subscribe to the author’s channel.

2. Now select the specific edge driver that you want to download to your hub. This usually happens right away, but there have been some reports of it taking a few hours.

3. After the custom edge driver has been downloaded to your hub It will show up on the list of available available edge drivers there.

(You can see this list by going to your hub details in the web interface to your SmartThings account at:

my.smartthings.com/advanced

Select hubs, Then the hub you want to see the details for.

Once you are on the details page, at the top of the page, there is a list of available information, including “installed drivers.“ Once you select that, it will bring up the list of drivers that are installed on your hub. )

1. now, when you add a new device to SmartThings which matches the “fingerprint“ of the edge driver that you just downloaded, the device should automatically use that edge driver.

if the device was already on your SmartThings account before you added the driver, you will probably be able to change it to the new driver in the SmartThings app without having to delete and re-add the device. See the following FAQ for those instructions:

FAQ: How to change to a different edge driver

There is also a Long FAQ with lots of details about the new edge architecture if you’re interested in that.

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

4 Likes