How to change a door/window open/close sensor to smoke detector?

Hi all,
I saw here:

that you can use a simple open/close sensor to simulate the smoke alarm by connecting a relay to it. Is there any existing examples?
I got a $20 sensor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ3KYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I am trying to learn to integrate it.

One quick question is, in the IDE, how do I create a special handler for this particular device that is different from the others? I want to keep on using the other sensors of the same type as normal door/window sensors.
Best,
Lun

Hi @Lun_Jiang,

Depending on your location US/EU/UK, I would recommend an integrated device from the start.
I am in North America and I love to tinker, but for the price of the existing hardware, you might buy something like this. I use it for my house and sanity.

there is no indication that the device you listed, Visonic MCT-340E, will read an external dry contact alarm in the way you want. It only reads its built-in magnetic reed switch contact.

The only dry contact sensor I have found, is not 99% reliable so I would not link it for fire safety.

I agree Zwave First Alert Zcombo is the best option - it will not link to an existing smoke alarm system.

If you do attempt to modify your existing smoke alarm system then you may interfere with its operation. Seems like a bad idea.

Does your smoke detector system have exposed NO or NC endpoints for an external reporting system? If so, then I would take a look at the ST_Anything project. You can use this to read the output of the smoke detector. It has custom DTHs for all different types of devices.

1 Like

I made one especially for the EcoLink sensors a couple years ago:

GitHub: vseven - SmartThings_VSeven - master

I probably need to update them for the new appā€¦I havenā€™t yet.

3 Likes

Hi Vseven,
That is exactly what I want to do, unfortunately I bought a different sensor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDJ3KYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And now Iā€™m trying to work with the deviceHandler for it:
https://github.com/wormite/smartthings/blob/master/Original%20Tyco%20Visonic.groovy
Iā€™m not sure where this leads me but my first question is about getting rid of the "//capability ā€œContact Sensorā€
Iā€™m quite concerned because in the file it lists:
tileAttribute (ā€œdevice.contactā€, key: ā€œPRIMARY_CONTROLā€) {
This obviously is just displaying, but there are several other functions that work with the contact sensor:
private Map getContactResult(value) {
log.debug ā€˜Contact Statusā€™
def linkText = getLinkText(device)
def descriptionText = ā€œ${linkText} was ${value == ā€˜openā€™ ? ā€˜openedā€™ : ā€˜closedā€™}ā€
return [
name: ā€˜contactā€™,
value: value,
descriptionText: descriptionText
]
}
Iā€™m not sure how to work with them. Is there any tutorial for simulators?

Ok Iā€™m also starting to watch videos to figure out how to program these things.

If you compare my DTH to the original EcoLink DTH youā€™ll see I made very few changes. You should be able to duplicate the same changes. Or try my DTH and just see if it works.

Your z-wave ecolink handler wonā€™t work for his zigbee Visonic sensor. But he could make the similar capability changes to the default smartsense open/close handler and have it work.

Hi guys,
I have been working on this but Iā€™m stuck with zigbee simulator.
Is there any easy accessible example of simulation on zigbee window/door switches?

Very tempeted to just go for this one:

What do you guys think?

1 Like