Ecolink dwzwave2-eco with hard wired switches

(Andrew) #1

I tried hooking up my Ecolink DWZWAVE2-ECO to the magnetic switches that the original home security system uses. I unplugged the alarm panel, snipped two wires, stripped them back, and wired them into the header on the board inside the z-wave sensor.

When I put it all back together, nothing happened. I then tested the ecolink z-wave sensor with just a couple pieces of wire, and they successfully trip open/closed when the circuit is open or closed accordingly.

The original panel had two switches (both doors) wired in series and connected up to a single zone on the panel. There was also a resistor wired in series on the zone side. I put a voltmeter to it, and it read about 6.5 volts. That’s weird. I thought these things were passive. Could there be enough voltage drop from the panel to two doors several tens of feet away (wired in series) that a bias was needed?

I’m at a loss for why it didn’t work when connected to the z-wave sensor. Any thoughts? Is it safe to wire the sensor in series with a +6.5 V supply on the same line so I can keep the panel functional, too?

Thanks!
alk

(Paul) #2

The sensors in my hardwired home security system work on a change of voltage to register open/closed. Something like 6.5V closed and 13V open… I can’t remember exactly.

They don’t work on continuity. I believe that is to prevent tampering.

(Andrew) #3

Well bummer.

I suppose I could remove the existing sensors and replace them. More work, yay! :wink:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll see if I can confirm that mine works as yours does. I bought the house with the panel installed, and I don’t have the codes. It’s essentially useless to me, so I guess it’s no big loss to lose the functionality by swapping out all the sensors … as long as they are cheap enough.

Peace,
alk

(Ray) #4

Try connecting the z-wave switch in parallel with the magnetic switch before the resistor. I think the resistance is too high for the z-wave switch to change to closed state.

(Andrew) #5

Sorry, I don’t think I described what I did very well.

I snipped the wires for the magnetic switch circuit and disconnected it from the control panel. I left out the resistor; the only resistance in the circuit is the wire resistance from the 22 gauge wire to the doors and back. I wired one lead from the switch to one post on the header, and wired the other lead to the other post on the header. When I open and close the door (opening and closing the magnetic reed switch), the z-wave sensor doesn’t change states.

To make sure that the sensor wasn’t malfunctioning, I connected two strands of 22 AWG wire to the header on the sensor. When I connect the wires together, the sensor reports that it is “closed.” When I open the circuit, the sensor reports that it is “open.” So the sensor seems to work.

Thanks,
alk

(Ray) #6

How about check the door switch? You can measure the resistance of the switch at the panel and short out the wire at the switch. Or hookup your w-wave and short the wire at the switch. You either have a bad door switch or wiring.