How do I get stock edge drivers which aren’t on my hub?

Could you please tell me the URL of official stock driver of Smartthings, or how to get an invite? thanks.

This the beta channel link

https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=450930c1-02a6-43d8-adaa-4cbc51027956

1 Like

@Mario, is there such a thing as a stock channel link?

Unfortunately, I have 3 thermostats to move and I can’t commit to removing the Rboy driver (and losing control of all 3) until I have a known successful path forward. As of now, I was able to transition my test canary to the beta driver (from @Mariano_Colmenarejo’s post). I just need to understand how to transition to a stock driver now.

1 Like

jkp, Mario said that link was for beta drivers and the link itself has beta stamped all over it. If a stock channel is not available I understand, but I’m not sure treating it as a stock channel is prudent. I’m open to further information.

EDIT; What I I said below is wrong, you can’t force an edge driver if your 3rd party DTH is still there, you have to delete the DTH.

I understand. You can explicitly add a 3rd party driver to your hub, then in the app make the device change to the driver you added.

I don’t know if you can explicitly add one of the stock SmartThings drivers to your hub before adding the device.

I do know that your Honeywell thermostat is now supported by the Production branch (not just Beta) of the stock SmartThings driver, based on the fingerprint file I linked to earlier.

You could probably enroll in the beta branch of the SmartThings drivers, explicitly install the beta SmartThings driver, switch to that, then if that’s working okay, delete the rboy driver and unenroll from SmartThings beta, and I think you’ll end up on SmartThings production

This is all a guess from me but it should (?) work

@Mariano_Colmenarejo great it worked. thanks.

You can add a community driver or a stock driver to your hub by subscribing to the channel for the developer (community or ST). The beta version channel of the stock drivers get new changes and new drivers sooner than production.

You can’t switch from a DTH to an Edge driver without unenrolling your device and if you have a custom DTH installed (which I believe the rboy driver is), you must delete the driver from the IDE before re-enrolling. It’s a one-way door.

2 Likes

There are both beta and production stock drivers. The only difference is that the beta channel gets new changes and new drivers before they are promoted to production.

Beta github is here and production github is here. You can check to see if the driver you want is in beta, production, or both. For the driver you want, you will find the fingerprints.yaml in the repo. You can compare the fingeprint for your device to those in the file to see if your device is supported by that driver. In general, community developed drivers are often the stock drivers with additional fingerprints added and/or minor changes to fix bugs or add some features. If Mariano’s driver works for you, I’d run with that myself.

1 Like

@whstrain , the comment from @h0ckeysk8er is correct, the only way to move onto edge right now manually is to delete the DTH first.

Another option might be to create a new SmartThings account, delete one thermostat and its corresponding hub from your current account, and move that hub to the new account, then add the thermostat to that hub and see if it picks up the stock SmartThings Edge driver (it should). Then if that works well after some period of testing, you can move the hub back to your primary account and delete the DTH, then re-add those thermostats (or let SmartThings manage the migration).

Good luck, I think I’m out of ideas! Eventually the DTH will just disappear and you’ll be migrated to the SmartThings Edge driver, but if you want to accelerate the process with a backout option, the above might be the only way to do that!

1 Like

@whstrain

Once the transition to the new architecture is complete, stock edge drivers will be delivered to all customers as part of the hub firmware. There’s no public channel to subscribe to.

Right now, things are different. The stock drivers are rolling out in limited sets as part of the automatic migration. There’s no way to choose one individually for download like you can with a custom edge driver.

Some people will tell you to subscribe to the Official Beta channel and tell you there’s no difference except they haven’t been released for distribution yet and the beta has more device fingerprints. Which, maybe, if the only reason they haven’t been released is because of something in the automatic migration isn’t ready yet for that device. But there’s no way to know for sure. I, personally, would assume if it says beta, it’s beta, and might have some glitches.

The problem, of course, is that you have to remove any custom DTH’s for that device to manually transition to an edge driver, and once you do that, you can’t go back. So if you get an edge driver from the beta channel and it doesn’t work, you might be stuck until someone creates a new driver (stock or custom) which does. :disappointed_relieved:

It’s a very stressful time for all of us for this reason. Things that worked may stop working and you can’t go back: you have to find a new way forward.

So…if what you have now is working with a groovy DTH, my personal advice would be to leave it alone unless you have high confidence that there’s an edge driver that does work. If that happens to be a stock edge driver that isn’t on your hub yet, you can try contacting support and see if they can get it for you. But remember once you get it, you can’t go back.

If what you have now is NOT working, then I think there’s no harm to in trying something from the official beta channel. You shouldn’t be any worse off even if it doesn’t work. But that’s a personal choice.

Here’s the official announcement about the Beta channel with its invitation link.

Note that although the announcement Says you can revert to the previous groovy DTH, it was written in August 2021. That option was removed early in 2023, and you will no longer be able to go back to a custom groovy DTH; only a different edge driver, or a stock groovy DTH if there is still one on your hub for this device.

Preview | SmartThings-managed Edge Device Drivers

6 Likes

Great advice, as always from you.

@JDRoberts , thanks for this excellent and complete explanation. In my case I had to use a custom driver from @Mariano_Colmenarejo as the beta stock driver from smarthings only works for single enerwave switch but not for multiples. Mariano’s driver worked perfectly.

1 Like