Home Decorators Ceiling Fan/Light Controller MR101Z - First Impressions

Picked one of these fans up on clearance at Home Depot and it paired with ST but unlike the OP mine came back discovered as a “Thing” and not KOF Zigbee controller and now just says “please wait” in ST. I tried pairing again and it did the same thing. Anyone else experience this?

Wow on clearance all ready? Mind saying how much?

Dumb question, did you install the appropriate device handler?

Got it for $49cdn. Checked the device handler and yes that was the problem, all fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ordered an MR101Z about a day before finding that I had a separate load wire available for my fan, so I ended up using two zwave switches instead of the Zigbee part.

If anyone wants my MR101Z…(Edit: Sorry, no longer available)

Check your wiring before your order if you’d rather have a hard wired solution and you have the wiring for it.

I’m having a hell of a time with these MR101Z units. Installed 3, 1 ended up being DOA, got that swapped out. Right now, 0 of 3 are “ACTIVE” in the IDE and they’re not responding to commands. Initially, I installed a repeated, which I thought fixed the issue, but it didn’t. Installed 3 GE z-wave outlets, which seems to have helped keep these devices on the network a little bit longer, but eventually, all 3 still fall off. I should also note that the repeater and an outlet are in the same room, ~10 feet from one of the MR101Zs and I have 2 outlets within ~12 feet of the MR101Zs. No other Z-wave devices fall off the network like this. I even killed all but one of my 2.4GHz WiFi SSIDs. I think these things are very, very finicky. I just went up and reset 2 of them, one resets and comes back fine. The other won’t reset. That would make 2 straight units in the same room that won’t reset.

This fan module is a zigbee device. Have you tried installing zigbee repeaters?

3 Likes

:rofl: Well, ain’t that a kick in the teeth. No, I can’t say that I have, but really, since it’s 900MHz, I wouldn’t think that would be necessary. I’m not talking about a large house here; 2000sqft with the hub in the middle. Probably ~30’ from hub to device. While it may help the units from falling off the network, it doesn’t help the unit that won’t reset. I really wish there were other options out there.

900mhz is the handheld remove frequency not the Zigbee frequency.

2 Likes

Still new to this, I guess. Thank you @marktheknife and @celblazer for that info. I think I’ll pickup one of these and see if that helps.

Any ideas on the unit that won’t reset. This is the 2nd one I’ve had in this room that seems to pair fine and eventually falls off the network, and not able to reset. I know the general consensus in this thread is that it’s a bad unit but the odds of getting 2 bad units in the same room have to be very high. We had a remote receiver in this fan for 7 years, no issues so I don’t think wiring is the issue. Of course, that could be completely wrong thinking but I’m kinda grasping at straws here while troubleshooting.

The Home Depot in Campbell, CA, has two of the ceiling fans on clearance for $150.06. Or, at least they did on Sunday.

How are you resetting it? It can be a pain. Power must be completely cut I think 5 times on/off either at the breaker or switch, using the remote to reset will not work.

yea, cut the power at the breaker or wall switch to reset. 3 sec on 3 sec off, 5-6 times.

Yep, I did 3s on, 3s off x 5 multiple times, the lights don’t flash, the device isn’t discoverable. With the other unit, I had to quick flip the switch 5x and then the lights flashed so I attempted that method as well with this other one, still nothing.

I don’t know why but if you have the remote that came with the fan, use it to turn the light off if its on or toggle it on and then off. For some reason, when I run into issues resetting the fan, I play with the remote and then the lights start flashing following a reset sequence

Does anyone have a recommendation for wall controls for this fan doesn’t fully cut the power to the fan? Every now and again, the toggle switch on the wall gets hit and causes the fan to fall out of sync with ST.
Id like something like this Hampton Bay Fan Control but im not sure its on the same frequency as the zigbee module

NVM. I was able to locate the FCC number in the installation guide. Its the same as the KOF module

Just to clarify a couple things, the zigbee radio in the device operates on 2.4GHz. So interference from nearby WiFi is a legit concern if someone is having issues with pairing or control from the ST app.

The handheld remote operates on a frequency around 400MHz, I don’t remember exactly which. Most of these types of RF fan controllers are somewhere between 385MHz and 405MHz.

Z-wave in the US operates on 908MHz. But that’s not relevant to this device as it has no z-wave radio.

If the lights don’t flash, it didn’t reset. Either the timing was off (can be very finicky), or perhaps this unit is a dud.

2 Likes

What Mark said above is the unfortunate truth. FINICKY is the best way to describe these devices. What works for one module make not work the exact way for another. I have actually reset one of these without the lights blinking.

I try different timings with the on/off toggle dance. Every time I immediately try to add a new thing…whether the light blinks or not. If/when the device is finally found in ST…THEN my lights blink. With my Living room receiver I do the standard on/off. Like I said, different methodologies for different receivers…good luck!

1 Like

It is in stock online at Homedepot.com at the moment.

2 Likes