Home Decorators Ceiling Fan/Light Controller MR101Z - First Impressions

according to the OP it’s a limitation of the device, not the handler.

1 Like

Ahh. Ok. I know there are problems with doing so. I had the same bulbs I’m using now in my kitchen on a regular dimmer only had trouble at a near 5% power.

Now I’m have Range issue. I have a ranch style house and The original placement of the hub was around 35 feet away from the fan. It wouldn’t work so I placed the hub in the bedroom were the fan is which now is 45 feet away from a z wave switch I had I the living room. I now can’t get the z wave switch to work. I tried to find a more central spot for the hub but my fan unit won’t work unless the hub is line of sight

Range issues can usually be solved by adding repeater devices.

Depending on your layout, you could consider getting an iris smart plug, which is a zigbee plug (which will repeat zigbee signals) but it actually has a z-wave repeater in it as well. That would kill two birds with one stone.

Otherwise, separate mains powered z-wave and zigbee devices would probably still help, battery powered devices won’t repeat signals though.

Yea that may be my only recourse. I wanted to avoid plugins because I have little children that will touch anything within eyesight

Yeah I often run into the same issue.

Could install smart in-wall outlets, or smart switches also.

Finally got the first one of my controllers wired–thanks for all the work that’s gone into this and to everyone else who’s gone before me in terms of getting the bugs shaken out.

A quick question for all of you–any of you have trouble with getting the lights in your fan to dim? I have Phillips dimmable warm white LED bulbs installed but I can’t see any difference betwen 1% and 100%…is anyone else experiencing problems or should I grab a different set of bulbs and try?

For me the difference isn’t all that powerful using these bulbs Philips

Ok I bought one of these in August but between installation and other issues it never worked correctly until now.

My issue was that my mount wouldn’t allow me to put the zigbee antenna outside of the canopy without cutting a hole. So before I cut I added another zigbee repeater (I already have several). The signal now reaches the fan!

I’m ready to order more of these, but of course they are out of stock.

Hopefully this isn’t a stupid question, if it is, please be gentle. :slight_smile: What would be the benefit of the MR101Z over a dimming z-wave light switch and a z-wave fan control switch assuming my fan is wired for both? My fan is currently using a bluetooth fan controller but that’s where its “smarts” end. If I were to wire the fan switch to the ceiling fan and the light switch to the light (LED), would I be missing out on any features?

Greg you may have to go the route many of us did and order the wink fan controller from King of Fans. I just bought one last Wednesday

2 Likes

The MR101Z is a simpler implementation and does the job of both but you could possibly be plagued with the issue of Zigbee range

After testing with another set of bulbs I can unfortunately confirm that the dim function isn’t working…does anyone have any ideas on how to fix?

Personally I don’t think there is much benefit. I suppose with the remote you can still control the fan and light while sitting on the couch even if your ST hub loses its internet connection.

If I had separate load wires and neutrals in my switch box, I’d go with a smart fan switch and smart dimmer.

But I don’t, so that’s why I installed this device.

1 Like

Thanks! That goes along with what I was thinking.

I believe my issue is due to the metal studs running throughout the house… i dont know why i didnt put two and two togather. My house isnt terribly big but i did have to install two routers inside my home keep up the coverage

I had the same problem. The remote that came with the controller has another dip-switch just beneath the main set of dip-switches. Once I flipped it, I was able to dim from SmartThings.

Home Depot has this fan on clearance for $71 CAD is it work wild to try and find one for my living room?

What’s the model number?

The fans have been working well for a few months on Smartthings. Occasionally, they need the power to the fan turned off for a few seconds and then turned back on. This all changed a few days ago…

None of the fans or lights work in smartthings now. I’ve tried doing power cycles, but not resets (on off 5 times as addressed above). Other devices are still working so I’m pretty sure it isn’t the hub. The firmware has green circles and says it is 0.2.170515.

Any ideas?

I had to remove all of the fans from Smartthings and then reset the fans (described above…off 3 seconds on 3 seconds 5x) and they all reconnected.