Hijacking my Digital Life Smart Plugs

(Mike Thomas) #1

I want to re-pair a couple of Digital Life Smart Plugs to my SmartThings V2. I don’t want to link my ST Hub to Digital Life (which is what some related posts have been talking about).

The Digital Life system included two “Jasco Light and Appliance Module ZW4101” Smart Plugs.

I recently purchased two “GE On/Off Light and Small Appliance Module ZW4101” Smart Switches.

Both the Jasco (paired with Digital Life) and the GE (paired to my ST hub) have the exact same model number (ZW4101) and the exact same FCC ID (U2Z45602-3), so I’m hoping I can control the Digital Life Smart Plugs from my SmartThings hub only.

I’m not familiar enough with Z-Wave to know if this is possible or not - do I have to have Digital Life support “unpair” the Smart Plugs so that I can pair them with SmartThings? Or is there a way for SmartThings to forcibly pair with them?

If the latter, can someone guide me? “Looking for your new Things” doesn’t find it (I’m not surprised, as that would be very insecure), and hitting the on/off button on the switch (which for an un-paired switch cause ST to would immediately find it) does nothing (except turn the lamp on or off). And I can’t see a reset pin-hole.

If the former, it’s probably not worth the ~$70 I would save buying two more from Amazon, rather than spend an hour in a pointless chat with Digital Life.

Thanks.

Switching from Vera

Since these are Z wave, it’s probably quite easy. :sunglasses:

Z wave devices store the information of their controller when they are paired to the network. So you have to clear that information before you can pair it to a new controller.

Fortunately, the Z wave designers took into account the fact that you might not still have the old controller. It might’ve broken, you might’ve bought the product used, it might even have been originally paired to a test network at the manufacturer.

So Zwave allows any Z wave controller to issue a “general exclusion” command which tells any zwave device in range that it is OK to clear the controller information.

If you then set an individual end device, like your pocket sockets, into “exclude mode” they will pick up that instruction and clear the old controller information even though they have never been paired to the controller that is issuing the general exclusion command. It’s still considered a secure procedure because you have to have physical access to the end device for the second step of the process. This usually requires pressing a button on that device, sometimes in a particular pattern.

You will then be able to pair them in the usual way to the new controller.

Detailed Reset Instructions are at the bottom of the following page:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200867104-How-to-connect-and-reset-a-GE-module-Z-Wave-

(Mike Thomas) #3

Thanks. Those instructions would apply if the switches had been previously paired with my ST hub (or some other controller to which I have access).

It sounds like I would need to contact Digital Life to have them do the equivalent operation (exclude the switches from their controller). But I’m trying to avoid having to resort to that.

What would you recommend if (say) I had purchased these switches used, and they had been previously paired with someone else’s hub? What would you suggest then? Is there a factory reset for these switches that you know of?

(Mike Thomas) #4

Oh wait, sorry, I didn’t read all of your post.I’ll check it out more thoroughly :slight_smile:

Right–any zwave controller can issue a general exclusion, it does not have to have been previously paired with the device. :sunglasses:

So the SmartThings hub can issue a general exclusion, the nearby Pocket socket that was previously paired to digital life will hear that command (as long as it is plugged in, of course), then when you press the button on the pocket socket as instructed in the article I linked to, it will clear the old controller information and be ready to be paired to the SmartThings hub.

So it’s the same procedure regardless of who the previous controller was. That’s the point of the general exclusion.

(Mike Thomas) #6

Nice, thanks again, this worked and was extremely easy.

Mike