Help with Chamberlain MYQ and Smartthings

FYI - if your door is a Chamberlain/Liftmaster door, there’s a good chance GoControl won’t work. Otherwise, that’s probably the better option in terms of flexibility.

Needing an additional tilt sensor is a pain, but since we can’t poll MyQ constantly for the door status, it’s our only good option.

1 Like

Thanks again for the quick reply. Didn’t realize GoControl wasn’t compatible. I’ll go ahead and buy the additional tilt sensor, but first, can you help me figure out how to get my Google Home to recognize the garage door through SmartThings? My Google and Samsung accounts are linked, and everything else shows up except for the garage door. I definitely don’t want to pay their $1/month fee.

It should definitely work without the paid integration. If you have the no-sensor version, the only way it will work is if you choose the push-button option in the SmartApp setup, and the push button devices should be picked up by Google. Once you get a tilt sensor and switch to the sensor-version of the door, you get “switch” capability on the door, and Google should automatically pick those up, which is a bit more straightforward.

I have had nothing but bad luck with the gocontrols… power goes out they star beeping non stop and don’t work. I have RMA’d 3 of them…

I have 5 working and one to be RMA’s go controls if someone wants em.

PM me

I have chamberlain garage door opener, I need a sensor. Any thoughts?

I saw people recommending this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGVJRX2/

Amazon.com says the one below is a newer version
how about this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRZB0NT

Thx

I have the second one you linked. It’s worked perfectly and battery is still at 100 after a month or two. No false or missed reports and hasn’t gone offline.

1 Like

I have installed the community installer and am trying to setup the MyQ Lite app. I press install and there appears to be an error message, but it disappears too fast to see what it is and there is no MyQ anywhere in my SmartThings app. What am I doing wrong?

You can login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com and click on live logging and capture the logs then try to install. Once you capture the logs, you should post in the following thread as the developer will be notified and respond quicker.

Thanks for the prompt response. I finally got the app installed and got the sensor working, but I have managed to get it out of sync. It shows the garage door open even though it is closed. Is there an easy way to get it back in sync? Thanks again.

John V.

Physically press the button in the garage on the wall usually clears it up for me.
Otherwise I would check to see that the sensor reports correctly the open and close positions. and that they are not reversed.

Past that I would post in the link provided by jkp. The developer is quite active there.

Thanks. Will do.

John V.

Quick question: my ST door sensor seems to get confused as to whether the door is open or closed. I have been reading about a device called the Ecolink Tilt Sensor. Do you have any experience with it? I was also disappointed that my arrival routine failed to open the door recently.

Thanks.

John V.

I use the monoprice zwave tilt sensor available on amazon.
You could also use an open/close sensor to do this.
Mount an old door hinge on the door frame, mount one piece on the hinge and the other will be mounted directly to the frame.

When the door goes up, the hinge drops away from the stationary piece on the door frame which causes an open on the sensor. This should also allow then the question to be asked from Alexa…

Hey is my garage open? and she will report correctly as she likes open/close sensors.
The monoprice tilt I own will not (maybe no tilt will right now… dunno)

I myself will go that route next time so I can get the status from her on the occasion I may want it.

Thanks. I’ll try that. One thing I’m wondering is how to describe it to ST. As an open/close sensor or as a garage door sensor. Thanks again.

John V.

Somehow my MyQ Lite has become disconnected from the website and when I try to reconnect, it says my userid and/or password is incorrect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John V.

Somehow my MyQ Lite has become disconnected from the website and when I try to reconnect, it says my userid and/or password is incorrect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
[/quote]

MyQ has changed their API so the current code does not work. You can go to the following thread for more details and special instructions for updating…