HELP! For a non techie, how do I add devices not supported my Smartthings

This is the FAQ for the general steps to add community created code that will let you add a device to smart things which doesn’t have an existing device type.

About half the time, assuming the device is one that is “easy” to add, everything will work just fine when you follow the steps.

About a quarter of the time you’ll run into something weird, sometimes the result of back end issues that you have no control over, and you’ll have to get help from both the community and support.

And about a quarter of the time everything would’ve worked except at some point in the process you copied something into the wrong section, or you accidentally left off an asterisk at the end, or you accidentally put in one extra space, or any of those kinds of things and you just have to start over and try again.

I wish there was an easier answer, but there it is.

Many people add many devices which are not on the official “works with smart things” list. But even very experienced, very technical people don’t get everything to work every time.

So a lot comes down to your own level of tolerance for this kind of process as well as your physical and mental ability to do it. (I Rely on text to speech, and even cut and paste is difficult for me. I use as little custom code as possible. But I do use it when there’s a device I really want and there’s no officially compatible alternative that will work for me. And I’m very grateful to the community members who develop those custom device types. :sunglasses: )

But you can pick one device at a time, and just see how it goes. And know that, success or failure, there’s no predicting what will happen with the next one that you try.

Or you can just stick to the devices on the official compatibility list and other brands that can use the same device types.

1 Like